Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Oct 29, 2011 at 10:40 AM Post #2,566 of 41,202
Quote:
I only have 3000 cds but it seems like a lot. I don't know what I would do with 5000. I had 65 boxs of records which I have scaled down to 30 boxes. It just gets to a point where it's insane. The amazing thing to me has been how you can remember so much of the music just by seeing the CD or record. Each CD or record also can have some other memories attached to it too!

Remember too, if you spend a year and get all the CDs made into FLAC files you always can spend another year ripping them again if your drive fails as you have back-up.
tongue.gif

Yes, and thats a real pain in the ass. What CD player are you using? I really like the design of the $40-60 high-end CD players that have very intricate design for the CD placement. 

Oct 29, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #2,567 of 41,202
My cd player is an 11 year old Rega. I'm waiting for it to die.

Oct 29, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #2,568 of 41,202

Quote:

I only have 3000 cds but it seems like a lot. I don't know what I would do with 5000. I had 65 boxs of records which I have scaled down to 30 boxes. It just gets to a point where it's insane. The amazing thing to me has been how you can remember so much of the music just by seeing the CD or record. Each CD or record also can have some other memories attached to it too!

Remember too, if you spend a year and get all the CDs made into FLAC files you always can spend another year ripping them again if your drive fails as you have back-up.
tongue.gif

I never want to go through that! When I ripped my collection, I saved everything on 2 USB hard-drives as I went. One is plugged into my computer for streaming and the other is in storage in my office.

Memory is cheap.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #2,570 of 41,202
Oct 29, 2011 at 11:11 AM Post #2,571 of 41,202
Quote:
My cd player is an 11 year old Rega. I'm waiting for it to die.

rolleyes.gif
Im trying to find a picture of those CD players that are on the top, and you flip them open and you take out the center, put the CD in, and screw down the center piece again and play. Im not sure who it was made by, can you guys help me!

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #2,572 of 41,202
I've got my library in 3 places at the moment. Main PC, Laptop, and External HDD. 

If I had a library that took that long to rip it'd be in a RAID config. If 1 fails, the others are safe. Then just pop in another good drive to replace the bad drive and boom. Back to normal.

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:33 AM Post #2,573 of 41,202

Quote:
rolleyes.gif
Im trying to find a picture of those CD players that are on the top, and you flip them open and you take out the center, put the CD in, and screw down the center piece again and play. Im not sure who it was made by, can you guys help me!

Go to the CD Player section of Audiogon, it's like a garage sale for audio gear. I'm sure you will see one.

Talk about old!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Monitor-10-Vintage-Stereo-Headphones-/220882199595?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336d9ae42b

Oct 29, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #2,574 of 41,202
I rip my CDs as I buy them so that doesn't happen. I might not play the physical CDs since I buy just as many downloads from Bandcamp anyway. I might hook up WMC7 to my TV in my listening room or get a Marantz NA7004.

Quote:

tongue.gif

Oct 29, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #2,575 of 41,202
Quote:
Go to the CD Player section of Audiogon, it's like a garage sale for audio gear. I'm sure you will see one.

Talk about old!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pioneer-Monitor-10-Vintage-Stereo-Headphones-/220882199595?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item336d9ae42b

I have, nothing yet. Checking out the Audiokarama thread on CD players.

Oct 29, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #2,577 of 41,202
My god, now I got scared of my HDD possibly failing! = ( Need to buy another one for backup...

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #2,579 of 41,202
Well yeah, it's obviously clever to have a back-up. I have the CD's but ripping is quite a job to do. I think I have some of my collection in and external HDD, but it's old and cheap, maybe I'll get a better one.

Oct 29, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #2,580 of 41,202
My suggestion would be an exclosure. Hard drives made to be driven hard (internals) are much more reliable than your run of the mill external ones. 

Enclosure + Internal can run you less than an external as well, which is nice.

Quote:
Well yeah, it's obviously clever to have a back-up. I have the CD's but ripping is quite a job to do. I think I have some of my collection in and external HDD, but it's old and cheap, maybe I'll get a better one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back