Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
May 5, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #23,791 of 41,133
Sorry, but the only place in the universe where that setup would be considered 'humble' is in this thread! :)
Well there are systems here with cables that altogether cost more than my whole rig so it is all by comparison :) In terms of fidelity and musicality it is magic though. Specially regarding the 800S I feel I am enjoying them at their best, specially after rolling a smooth long plate telefunken ECC83.
The clarity and holography is beyond what I thought these headphones were capable of. And whoever finds them lacking in bass or sounding lean, well... not through this miniature little beast :)

May 5, 2019 at 10:49 AM Post #23,792 of 41,133
just simplified rig -- got rid of a lot of boxes -- and very pleased with the results. just have to love senn hd600s -- they're fabulous.

20190505_101856_LI.jpg 20190505_101909.jpg 20190505_101923.jpg

May 5, 2019 at 2:33 PM Post #23,793 of 41,133
It seems that I have already fixed it ...

Wow, a pic of General Georgy Zhukov! The single person most responsible for the demise of Nazi Germany...

May 5, 2019 at 3:06 PM Post #23,794 of 41,133
As you also have the Icon HP8, any comparisons between the V281 and the HP8?

Sorry, I think I missed this. Yes, well the Icon Audio HP8 MKII really shows well for classic rock, and jazz recordings. This may sound funny, but music that was recorded with alot of tube gear. An example, I've been listening to a lot of the music that John Coltrane recorded in 1958. In that year he recorded a staggering amount of music, enough for 8 albums! This was all for his contract with Prestige Records. Prestige records was a small label with a very modest budget. Most of these recordings were single takes made in the living room of the owner of Prestige records parents house in New Jersey. The single takes were recorded with good, not great, tube gear. Totally unlike his Atlantic records contract which had larger budgets and where he recorded in proper recording studios with top notch engineers.

Anyways, these Prestige records sessions, seem to play extremely well on the Icon audio HP8 tube amp. To be honest, I dont like how they sound on the V281. I think maybe because they were recorded on tube gear, to me they need to be played on tube gear? But the music, played through tubes, to me is a real joy to listen to. So understanding that the tube amp has it's place and purpose to me is key.

The V281, is more of my everyday, jack of all trades amp. Sounds great with almost everything. It has the speed that the Icon seems to lack with some music. To me the two amps are very complementary. But, for a soild state amp, the V281 is what I desire. Speed but without harshness.

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #23,796 of 41,133
@Krutsch, I just dug my Rega DAC out of storage after seeing you post, and you are right...it does sound good! I'm moving the Rega upstairs to a secondary listening area, but all I have to hook it up to right now is a mid-fi Onkyo home theater receiver. The headphone amp in that thing sounds awful, do you have a good recommendation for a dedicated head amp for the Rega? I'd like to keep it under $500. Any idea if tubes would sound good with the Rega?

Using a Lehmann Rhinelander as my head-amp in my office setup. Love the clean sound of the Lehmann, which really pairs well with my office cans (HD-660S).

IMG_20190217_153551.jpeg

May 6, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #23,798 of 41,133
I must confess. Audeze is a superior company.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 7:32 PM Post #23,803 of 41,133
Your Benchmark stack looks good. I dont know alot about the brand, other than they are very well known in the pro audio circles. Your DAC, does DSD and PCM?
Thank you. The HPA4 is unequivocally the best preamp/HP amp I've ever heard. The DAC does DSD at single rate and PCM up to 192.

May 8, 2019 at 8:21 PM Post #23,804 of 41,133
Thank you. The HPA4 is unequivocally the best preamp/HP amp I've ever heard. The DAC does DSD at single rate and PCM up to 192.

Yes. The HPA4 is currently the best amp ever made as of now! Nothing beats it. Its a fully complete package with THX implementation.

Last edited:
May 8, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #23,805 of 41,133
Yes. The HPA4 is currently the best amp ever made as of now! Nothing beats it. Its a fully complete package with THX implementation.
It's great as an HP amp, but otherworldly as a linestage. I've owned analog preamps from Mcintosh (C42), Audio Research (SP16) and Adcom (GFP750). The Mcintosh was terrible, the ARC very good, the Adcom outstanding. This Benchmark has completely blown me away.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back