Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 31, 2016 at 10:02 AM Post #20,657 of 41,120

you must really like the questyle gear, you've had it awhile now right ?

Yes, Questyle amps deliver the goods. The cma800r with current mode amplification is impressive but add a second one for dual mono fully balanced and...
eek.gif

I thought that going dual mono might be just a modest improvement...nope.

I thought it might be a little gimmicky...nope.

I thought it might be overpowering with the headphones that I own...nope. 

Now please understand that I just added the second one yesterday and it will take some time and critical listening to make a fair assessment. But, I'll say that this setup has put a Cheshire grin on my face both big and wide. I listened last night for the fist time and then again this morning. Those two sessions were among the most enjoyable I've had in a very long time. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #20,663 of 41,120

Interesting, I've never heard of this before. So what exactly is the point of this?

I just wanted to look cool. You know that middle aged guy who buys a sports car and gets a girlfriend that's half his age? Well, since I can't have the car or gf...this is what I get. 
tongue.gif

Seriously, I have always loved the cma800r and I knew that they offered the option to do dual mono block setups for a good reason. I always wanted to see what the dual amp setup brought to the table. And now I know. 
wink.gif

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #20,664 of 41,120
Do you have to adjust the volume on each amp independently? Or is there some sort of pre-amp controlling volume ahead of the amps?

Right now I have a NAD m51 as dac that is controlling the volume via remote control. The NAD has maybe the best volume control tech ever introduced. 

The amps have been dialed in with an spl meter. Right now the NAD is on loan (thanks Purk). I either have to buy it or go back to the Gumby. The Gumby sounds somewhat better IMO but the features of the NAD are compelling. 

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #20,665 of 41,120

Right now I have a NAD m51 as dac that is controlling the volume via remote control. The NAD has maybe the best volume control tech ever introduced. 

The amps have been dialed in with an spl meter. Right now the NAD is on loan (thanks Purk). I either have to buy it or go back to the Gumby. The Gumby sounds somewhat better IMO but the features of the NAD are compelling. 

But...but what about DAC-19? 
frown.gif

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #20,666 of 41,120

Nice. Never heard of/thought of running dual-monoblocks for headphones. Very interesting.

Oh, and since this is the "show us your station" thread, here's my beginner setup: (sorry for potato quality, my phone (MotoE) doesn't have a flash)

Jan 31, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #20,667 of 41,120
Nice. Never heard of/thought of running dual-monoblocks for headphones. Very interesting.

Oh, and since this is the "show us your station" thread, here's my beginner setup: (sorry for potato quality, my phone (MotoE) doesn't have a flash)

It seems like overkill...certainly, but I had to try it. Honestly, it was more of a curiosity more than a need to truly improve my setup. But now that I've tried it, I'm not sure that I can go back. 

But...but what about DAC-19? 
frown.gif

DAC-19 is singled ended out only, so it just won't work with this setup. Up for sale. 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back