Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Mar 15, 2015 at 4:58 AM Post #19,816 of 41,239
  My head gear setup as of now, I'm spending more time with the Grado GS1000i and Senn HD700 as of now.....amp/dac combo's a run-of-the-mill Geek Pulse (nothing fancy)...

My hifi rack with my other cans which I rotate occasionally....

very nice mikey ! impressive collection of cans 

Mar 16, 2015 at 10:39 AM Post #19,818 of 41,239
  I am having a great time listening to music this Saturday afternoon. This is my current setup. Happy St. Patrick's week!

Clayton, just a quick question. What is that open looking CD player in your system? I can't recall seeing one of those before and it is very intriguing. Thanks!

Mar 16, 2015 at 1:49 PM Post #19,821 of 41,239
http://www.sakurasystems.com/products/shigacd.html

Thanks, Eee Pee. How yah doin'? :)

Quote:
Clayton, just a quick question. What is that open looking CD player in your system? I can't recall seeing one of those before and it is very intriguing. Thanks!

There are more pictures of this system on my Flickr site: https://www.flickr.com/photos/63411075@N00/16431440322/

Mar 17, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #19,823 of 41,239

That's awesome! I have both Concerto and Classic with the HE-500. How does the Concerto pair with the 560?

Updated from Corda Arietta to Corda Concerto and gained more clarity in the treble and more attack and precision to the bass. My whole rig has neutral sound signature: M2Tech Young, Concerto and Hifiman HE-560 and this serves me well when changing genres :).

Mar 17, 2015 at 3:39 AM Post #19,824 of 41,239
Updated from Corda Arietta to Corda Concerto and gained more clarity in the treble and more attack and precision to the bass. My whole rig has neutral sound signature: M2Tech Young, Concerto and Hifiman HE-560 and this serves me well when changing genres :).

Congratulations. I own both. The Concerto is my reference for bass quality in a HP amp.

Mar 17, 2015 at 3:41 AM Post #19,825 of 41,239

That's awesome! I have both Concerto and Classic with the HE-500. How does the Concerto pair with the 560?

Interesting. Did you post some Classic vs Concerto impressions somewhere ?

Mar 17, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #19,827 of 41,239
1e2307dbc8eb207a3e0e3c62c00ecb51.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:34 AM Post #19,829 of 41,239

Interesting. Did you post some Classic vs Concerto impressions somewhere ?

I plugged both to my DAC and did some comparisons using my HE-500 and HD-650.

Sound: Very similar. The Concerto a touch brighter / Classic a hair warmer. But otherwise very similar.

Power: Classic has slightly more power. On the Concerto I usually require high gain to drive the HE-500, but on the Classic, low gain is usually enough.

Pairing: I do prefer the Classic for the HE-500, however I have a feeling that the Concerto is a touch better for the HD-650. But the difference is small enough that it can possibly be Placebo.

Features: Perhaps the biggest difference between the two, at least on paper. The Concerto is very basic, with 1 input, 2 gain settings, and 2 crossfeed settings (on/off). The Classic has got 2 inputs, 2 gain, 3 crossfeed settings (high/low/off), and 3 "bass compensator" settings (high/low/off). The 2nd input is excellent to have on the Classic. The crossfeed on the Concerto to my ears is closer to the crossfeed high on the Classic. With the Classic I rarely use the crossfeed low section, and mostly go between high and off, depends on the track. The bass boost is redundant to my ears, as it seems to muddy the sound for a mild bass boost. As soon as I switch it I immediately "run back" to the off position to restore the wonderful natural clarity it has.

Build quality: Mostly the same, however the volume dial on the Classic is plain plastic, and the dial on the Concerto is much nicer to the touch. However, the volume change is much smoother on the Classic - feels more like a continuum compared with the clear steps on the Concerto.

So, in short, the extra features on the Classic are not really a big improvement on the Concerto, as I never use the bass boost because it degrades the sq, and I also never use the low crossfeed section. However, it is nice to have the 2nd input and  the higher power might come in handy for some particularly hungry cans. But the Concerto drives the HE-500 just as competently, really.

Mar 18, 2015 at 7:08 AM Post #19,830 of 41,239
@intlsubband : Ah great impressions thks ! . i had the Jazz and the Concerto and always felt the concerto was a touch' brighter . I preferred my Corda Jazz for my HD800 :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back