Show us your Head-Fi station at it's current state. No old pictures please...
Jan 29, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #19,442 of 41,343
  So, here's mine.  It all sits on a filing cabinet that's right next to my office desk. 

Is that an audio-grade "philing" cabinet? 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #19,444 of 41,343

I feel compelled to revisit your post, because I'm intrigued at how you came up with this rig.  You've got an undeniably great source, a real sleeper of a truly single-ended Class A amp that can crank out 2 Watts rms into 32-Ohms (and that I absolutely love), and perhaps one of the most respected headphones of all time.

I suspect your rig could do circles around most of the rigs we see here, independent of price.

Is this the result of many years of buying, selling and trading?  

Were you advised by an experienced friend?  

Or are you just a very lucky guy who stumbled into buying this rig accidentally?  
biggrin.gif

---

UPDATE:  I've just finished reading all of your Head-Fi posts - finding this along the way:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/197776/sennheiser-hd650-impressions-thread/22320#post_11255371

To answer my own questions, I'd have to say this rig is the result of your having had "discerning" ears (from your HiFi experience), a good source (from your HiFi experience) and the ability to do a good job reading between the lines as you researched headphones and amps.

Well done, sir!

beerchug.gif

Mike

Thank you! 

I'm glad you found my post!  Pretty much explains it.  I got lucky. 
smile_phones.gif

I have another HA-200 on the way.  I'm going to do my best to 'maximize' the potential of my current setup before I buy another set of cans.

Mike

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #19,445 of 41,343
Thank you! 

I'm glad you found my post!  Pretty much explains it.  I got lucky.  :smile_phones:

I have another HA-200 on the way.  I'm going to do my best to 'maximize' the potential of my current setup before I buy another set of cans.

Mike

Well, it's going to be hard to go up from where you are, especially when you get your HA-200 monoblock configuration going, but headphones would be the next place to go and with 8 Watts into 32-Ohms, I recommend you just go for the HiFiMan HE-6. Then again, despite not needing as much power, the amp-finicky Sennheiser HD800 plays very well with even one HA-200.

Mike

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:32 PM Post #19,446 of 41,343
Quote:

Nice choice of components and that is really all you need, isn't it?

Thank you!  I believe so, but, I'm sure additional headphones will bless my ears in the future. 

Very nice! Fairly similar to my setup.

Thanks.  Good to hear that I'm not the only one.

The NuForce HA-200 is a great amp for the money - I even hate saying, "for the money" in this case.

It's a single-ended, Class A design that not only sounds great with easy-to-please headphones, but sounds much better with the HD800 than the amp section of my OPPO HA-1, for example.

What does "single-ended Class A" really mean?  Read this Nelson Pass article...

Mike

I have to agree that the HA-200 is a great amp for the money. 

I'm surprised to learn that the HA-200 sounds better than the HA-1 with the HD800's.

Mike

Jan 29, 2015 at 1:45 PM Post #19,447 of 41,343
Well, it's going to be hard to go up from where you are, especially when you get your HA-200 monoblock configuration going, but headphones would be the next place to go and with 8 Watts into 32-Ohms, I recommend you just go for the HiFiMan HE-6. Then again, despite not needing as much power, the amp-finicky Sennheiser HD800 plays very well with even one HA-200.

Mike

I really appreciate the response.  I'm glad I made some good decisions in the very beginning. 

I am definitely considering both the HE-6 and HD800's.  I have to do some more research and hopefully audition both before making a purchase.

Mike 

Jan 30, 2015 at 10:44 AM Post #19,448 of 41,343
Hey Mike,

I read your post in the HD650s thread as well and it was a great read. Just a small question....why did you went from tube to transistor amplifier? Is it because of the option to go balanced or some other reason?

How are the two HA-200? Any impressions?

Jan 30, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #19,449 of 41,343
  Hey Mike,

I read your post in the HD650s thread as well and it was a great read. Just a small question....why did you went from tube to transistor amplifier? Is it because of the option to go balanced or some other reason?

@Rdrcr

Yeah, I can't wait to get impressions from another person with experienced ears - to provide a detailed account of the differences that can be heard operating with two HA-200's vs. only one.

(The other) Mike

Jan 30, 2015 at 1:58 PM Post #19,450 of 41,343
Gear from left to right, top to bottom:

Sennheiser HD 598s
Bravo Audio Ocean 
Philips TV / Monitor
Sony DVD / CD player
Vintage SAE 8000 Tuner
Vintage SAE A7 Integrated Amplifier
Sennheiser HD 650s
Small Schiit...Magni,1, Modi 2, Vali, SYS
Big Schiit.....Valhalla 2, Asgard 2

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:23 PM Post #19,452 of 41,343
  Hey Mike,

Thanks.

I decided against a tube amp this time because I'll be purchasing and experimenting with tubes forever.  It will never end.  I love tubes and the tube sound though.

I'm still waiting for my second HA-200.  I'll post my impressions when I get everything connected.

@Rdrcr

Yeah, I can't wait to get impressions from another person with experienced ears - to provide a detailed account of the differences that can be heard operating with two HA-200's vs. only one.

(The other) Mike

I'll definitely post my impressions of the 2 HA-200's.  I'm looking forward to it but, I have no predetermined expectations. 

Mike

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:33 PM Post #19,453 of 41,343

I decided against a tube amp this time because I'll be purchasing and experimenting with tubes forever.  It will never end.  I love tubes and the tube sound though.

Smart man. I can't believe what I've spent on tubes, although the sound is sweet and it's a lot of fun.

Jan 30, 2015 at 2:47 PM Post #19,455 of 41,343

Smart man. I can't believe what I've spent on tubes, although the sound is sweet and it's a lot of fun.

Buy a Schiit Vali. Tube rolling problem solved. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back