Should I upgrade from Super. Fi 5 Pros to Triple. Fi 10s?
Oct 18, 2011 at 5:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Shlonglor

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I've been so happy with the purchases advised to me here that it's been a long while since I've visited!
Unfortunately, after 4 years of joy, my Super. Fi 5 Pros are dead. Well, one of them is:

After the 3rd cable replacement, the latest one I got was slightly "off". I had to glue the business parts together to each phone to maintain proper contact. Unfortunately, the left phone got slowly disconnected and I had to constantly wriggle it to maintain contact. At a critical point, some of the plastic at the connection area snapped off, along with the phone's connector sockets:

While trying to glue it all back in (the contacts still worked if pushed together.. ), the sockets broke off from the cable completely, leaving a mess I don't have the skills to fix. The phone now has a gaping hole instead of sockets.

I'm wondering whether to:
1) Try to get them fixed in a stereo/electro lab
2) Just go ahead and upgrade to the Triple. Fi 10s
3) Look for something else in that price range (or a bit more).

I usually drive them with my Cowon D2 and I've been very happy with them that way. I listen to many genres of music and there's no specific thing that's important to me, though I suppose the things I listen to carefully and loudly are those that involve complex music that require the full breadth of sound. (Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3M0rld1ZUc)
I've almost always used the Comply Foam T-500 tips and have been happy and comfortable with them.

Help me, kind head-fiers!

Oct 18, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 26
I would say just grab a pair of TF10s. If you could get the SF5 to fit, you shouldn't have any fit issues with the TF10.

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:10 AM Post #3 of 26
yes tf-10 are a bit larger but fit is similar.

Oct 19, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #4 of 26
I will recommend to try some new IEMs like EX600, GR07, HF5 and they sound amazing for the price.

Oct 19, 2011 at 7:32 AM Post #5 of 26
TF10's a bit bigger than what you'll be used to...

Other than that, there isn't a better IEM for the money IMO. That plus they're very receptive to reshell and recable upgrades hehe.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:33 AM Post #6 of 26

Quote:
TF10's a bit bigger than what you'll be used to...

Other than that, there isn't a better IEM for the money IMO. That plus they're very receptive to reshell and recable upgrades hehe.

I agree. The TF10s may not be the best 3 driver iems anymore (sm3v2s), they can be had for very good prices, as low as $99 on amzon if im not wrong. I have a three year old tf10 that had been reshelled by Unique Melody and it still sounds pretty good. Sure, its nowhere near the UERMs that I now have but its definietly not like half as good or anything.

Oct 20, 2011 at 4:11 AM Post #7 of 26
I'd definitely wait for the annual Amazon TF10 sale and grab them for ~$100, a price at which they're an absolute steal! That's of course assuming that Amazon continues it's tradition this year in the first place.

Oct 20, 2011 at 7:23 AM Post #8 of 26

Quote:
I'd definitely wait for the annual Amazon TF10 sale and grab them for ~$100, a price at which they're an absolute steal! That's of course assuming that Amazon continues it's tradition this year in the first place.

Ya, like I'm gonna wait for a month and a half without music. :p

Oct 20, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #9 of 26
Definately worth the upgrade!

Oct 24, 2011 at 12:20 AM Post #10 of 26
I think the upgrade is worth it. After having bought a bunch of IEMs (you can check my profile), I have realized that it's not a smart idea to cheap out and buy something that is not at the lower rungs. You'll end up just upgrading because you'll always know there's something better out there (within reasonable limits, of course). That said, I have owned the Superfi.5s, and I have heard the TF10s on multiple occasions (though I don't own them because I never liked them enough to), and can tell you that the difference between them is enormous.

The Superfi.5s, in my opinion, are extremely muddy. When I first got them (they were my first more serious IEMs), I even thought this. (Not to mention my SF5s broke really quickly, and I was really angry about it.) Articulation was simply not there, and the sound was just ... "brown." The TF10s are definitely a lot more transparent and are definitely up there on the IEM chain (though I personally don't prefer them). In short, however, the TF10s are many leagues above the Superfi.5s, simply because they aren't muddy as the Superfi.5s. They're just in a higher overall class, and the price difference (since you can find some great deals on the TF10s, since they're getting older), I think, is worth it. It's a pretty significant jump in my opinion!

Oct 31, 2011 at 1:00 PM Post #11 of 26
I'd like to pick them up when they're discounted at Amazon (if that occurs...). Is there any way to know when they'll go on sale ? Do you just follow the Amazon 'Gold Box' specials each day, or is there some general idea of when they'll be offered? Or some other way? Thanks for any advice.

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #12 of 26
TF10 $99 deal will not be happening this year due to supply issues.

Oct 31, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:
TF10 $99 deal will not be happening this year due to supply issues.

Is that confirmed, or merely speculation? 
blink.gif

Oct 31, 2011 at 9:03 PM Post #15 of 26
^Discontinued.... ? O.o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back