Should I try other headphones?
Aug 11, 2010 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

High_Q

1000+ Head-Fier
I am wondering how high end Denons or Audio Technicas sound.  I have owned, SRH840, SR801, DT880(600ohms) and k701 and sold them.  I don't like the high frequencies, especially the sibilance.   I have kept my HD650 because they sound very detailed without the sibilance.  I'm wondering if I enjoy flat sounding headphones.  Since I've only liked 1 high end headphone out of
, I've been afraid to try other brands like Denons or Audio Technicas.  You think I can get even better sound out of them?  I was thinking of Denon 2000 or ESW9 or somthing like that, not anything too expensive, something in the league(price range) of HD650.

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:47 PM Post #2 of 8
HD600
No sibilance... none. Gorgeous, rich tonality.

Don't get the Denon's unless you REALLY like a lot of bass.
You might be disappointed with the AT's as from what I've read they have a very good high-end and it sounds like you are sensitive to that.

Recommendations are great, but you'll obviously need to try them out. Buy used and see what you like.

shane

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #3 of 8
The D2000s have bass, but they're not the bass monsters some make them out to be.  They are a little bit sibilant though.

Aug 11, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 8
If you want better sound, keep the HD-650 and pour some money into a dedicated rig for it.  The HD-650 scales nicely with better amps, so you might want to go in that direction.  The grass might seem greener, but you might want to stick with something you already know you enjoy.

Aug 11, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
The HD-650 scales nicely with better amps, so you might want to go in that direction.  The grass might seem greener, but you might want to stick with something you already know you enjoy.

True.
[size=medium]Get a nice amp for them....HA-160.  [/size]

Aug 12, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Maybe I'll go balanced

Why? This doesn't address your question. Balanced isn't audio voodoo, but it's still in the realm of tweakdom, won't deliver SQ = to its cost if recabling phones, and won't specifically address you preference for muted sibilance.

For that you need the right headphone. And bear in mind, the better they are, the less they can do it all by themselves. Good gear needs good quality along the chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back