1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

    Dismiss Notice

Should I sell my WA6?

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by spudharris, Jul 18, 2011.
  1. SpudHarris Contributor
    I've had a Woo Audio 6 for about 8-9 months and have spent a lot (I mean a lot!) on tubes to find a flavour that suited most of my full sized cans. I'm happy with it in that respect but the newest arrivals (HE-4 and HE-500) don't quite get enough grunt from it. I still have a set of 6FD7's to try and boost a bit but I'm not hopefull that I'll be happy losing the tone of the 6SN7 Bad Boys :frowning2:
    I know the EF-5 will power these phones but:
    What is the SQ like in comparrison? Will I be disapointed or will the EF-5 sound as good? Should I sell the Woo and pick up a EF-5?
    If anyone with experience in any of the above would care to chip in I'd be really appreciative.
    Thanks guys
  2. sillysally


    I would wait for the EF-6 to come out, Skylab and I will get a demo version of the EF-6 and do a write-up on the EF-6.
    As I have posted many times, I really liked my WA6SE but never could get the AQ for what I used it for, no matter how many tubes I rolled. And yes my HE-6's are a waist when paired with the WA6SE.
    I will be comparing my WA5LE and tubes when I get the EF-6, and nothing I have tried other than the WA5LE and tubes I use comes close using my HE-6's.
  3. SpudHarris Contributor
    Any idea when you will get that to review SS?
    I have spent 1/2 hour with the WA6 and HE-500's and have to say I could probably live with them but there is something snappier about the HE-4's that suits certain genres and the WA6 struggles to drive them with much authority.
    Thanks for the reply, I will certainly await the news regarding EF-6
  4. Icenine2
    I'd look at the Cavalli Liquid Fire as well.
  5. sillysally


    No word yet.
  6. 1974
    IMO the EF5 is an incredible sounding amp, and I haven't heard anything better for less than $2000. The EF6 will probably be better, and certainly a lot more expensive.
  7. Gradofan2

    To drive the HE-500's, I much prefer the EF-5 to my WA6 SEm - it sounds great with the HE-500's.  The bass and highs are much better controlled - I like everything about the sound with this combo.  And... right now, I don't have any compulsion to roll the tube (Full Music 12AU7), or the OPA225 opamp.  
    The EF-5 is a true value - and it has the power to drive the HE-500's, and then some.  So, if you don't want to wait for the EF-6... you can be confident in getting the EF-5.   

  8. SpudHarris Contributor
    Thanks guys (especially Gradofan2). I think I know what I'm doing now....
  9. Gradofan2
    I would just add... that mine is the newer CE version (EU compliance) with the Full Music tube, rather than the RCA tube - and I'm not sure the EF-5 is quite as good with all phones, as it is with the HE-500's. 
    It seems to drive my RS-1's pretty well... adding a bit to their soundstage.  But... it sounds a bit strident and harsh in the upper mids, lower highs with my MD5000's. 
    And... overall it may have just a "wee bit" hard sound in the upper mids, lower highs with brighter sources - not as much with my Marantz SA8001, which has just a bit warmer sound.
    It may warm up a bit with burn in - I've got only about an 1-2 hours on it.  Probably, premature to form any opinion, yet.  Though it does sound good with the HE-500's even now - powerful sound with lots of impact, PRAT, clarity, detail and soundstage.
  10. SpudHarris Contributor
    Thanks again....
    I have just reconed up what money I have tied up in my WA6 + exotic tubes and it's scary money. I don't think I'll ever be able to get a WA22 over here so I'm gonna put it all up for sale and just stick with my Fi-quest at present as this powers the HE-500 easily.
    I'm not sure I would ever be satisfied with the EF-5 after using such nice tubes with the WA6 so I think I'll shelve the idea for now and see what money I've got left over when the EF6 comes out.
    Thanks for the responses guys......

Share This Page