Should I sell my WA6?
Jul 18, 2011 at 1:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

SpudHarris

Headphoneus Supremus
I've had a Woo Audio 6 for about 8-9 months and have spent a lot (I mean a lot!) on tubes to find a flavour that suited most of my full sized cans. I'm happy with it in that respect but the newest arrivals (HE-4 and HE-500) don't quite get enough grunt from it. I still have a set of 6FD7's to try and boost a bit but I'm not hopefull that I'll be happy losing the tone of the 6SN7 Bad Boys :frowning2:

I know the EF-5 will power these phones but:

What is the SQ like in comparrison? Will I be disapointed or will the EF-5 sound as good? Should I sell the Woo and pick up a EF-5?

If anyone with experience in any of the above would care to chip in I'd be really appreciative.

Thanks guys

Nigel

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
I've had a Woo Audio 6 for about 8-9 months and have spent a lot (I mean a lot!) on tubes to find a flavour that suited most of my full sized cans. I'm happy with it in that respect but the newest arrivals (HE-4 and HE-500) don't quite get enough grunt from it. I still have a set of 6FD7's to try and boost a bit but I'm not hopefull that I'll be happy losing the tone of the 6SN7 Bad Boys :frowning2:

What is the SQ like in comparrison? Will I be disapointed or will the EF-5 sound as good? Should I sell the Woo and pick up a EF-5?

If anyone with experience in any of the above would care to chip in I'd be really appreciative.

Thanks guys

Nigel

I would wait for the EF-6 to come out, Skylab and I will get a demo version of the EF-6 and do a write-up on the EF-6.

As I have posted many times, I really liked my WA6SE but never could get the AQ for what I used it for, no matter how many tubes I rolled. And yes my HE-6's are a waist when paired with the WA6SE.

I will be comparing my WA5LE and tubes when I get the EF-6, and nothing I have tried other than the WA5LE and tubes I use comes close using my HE-6's.

Jul 18, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 10
Any idea when you will get that to review SS?

I have spent 1/2 hour with the WA6 and HE-500's and have to say I could probably live with them but there is something snappier about the HE-4's that suits certain genres and the WA6 struggles to drive them with much authority.

Thanks for the reply, I will certainly await the news regarding EF-6

Jul 19, 2011 at 2:33 PM Post #5 of 10

Quote:
Any idea when you will get that to review SS?

I have spent 1/2 hour with the WA6 and HE-500's and have to say I could probably live with them but there is something snappier about the HE-4's that suits certain genres and the WA6 struggles to drive them with much authority.

Thanks for the reply, I will certainly await the news regarding EF-6

No word yet.

Aug 3, 2011 at 3:38 AM Post #7 of 10

Quote:

Thanks guys

Nigel

To drive the HE-500's, I much prefer the EF-5 to my WA6 SEm - it sounds great with the HE-500's.  The bass and highs are much better controlled - I like everything about the sound with this combo.  And... right now, I don't have any compulsion to roll the tube (Full Music 12AU7), or the OPA225 opamp.  

The EF-5 is a true value - and it has the power to drive the HE-500's, and then some.  So, if you don't want to wait for the EF-6... you can be confident in getting the EF-5.   

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #9 of 10
I would just add... that mine is the newer CE version (EU compliance) with the Full Music tube, rather than the RCA tube - and I'm not sure the EF-5 is quite as good with all phones, as it is with the HE-500's. 

It seems to drive my RS-1's pretty well... adding a bit to their soundstage.  But... it sounds a bit strident and harsh in the upper mids, lower highs with my MD5000's. 

And... overall it may have just a "wee bit" hard sound in the upper mids, lower highs with brighter sources - not as much with my Marantz SA8001, which has just a bit warmer sound.

It may warm up a bit with burn in - I've got only about an 1-2 hours on it.  Probably, premature to form any opinion, yet.  Though it does sound good with the HE-500's even now - powerful sound with lots of impact, PRAT, clarity, detail and soundstage.

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #10 of 10
Thanks again....

I have just reconed up what money I have tied up in my WA6 + exotic tubes and it's scary money. I don't think I'll ever be able to get a WA22 over here so I'm gonna put it all up for sale and just stick with my Fi-quest at present as this powers the HE-500 easily.

I'm not sure I would ever be satisfied with the EF-5 after using such nice tubes with the WA6 so I think I'll shelve the idea for now and see what money I've got left over when the EF6 comes out.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/565540/fs-woo-audio-6-rare-tubes-uk-sale#post_7652014 

Thanks for the responses guys......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back