Shanling UP5 - Our new flagship portable Bluetooth DAC/AMP
Sep 20, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #421 of 975
hey, any idea on how to activate any other bluetooth codecs than LDAC, like LHDC, aptx LL, aptx HD? i've tried only enabling one codec at a time but my redmi note 9 pro just shows me it connected as SBC or aptx

Sep 20, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #422 of 975
Sep 20, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #423 of 975
Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #424 of 975
hey, my BTR5 died and because this UP5 thing looks so damn good on paper, I don't mind getting one but are there too many newly born issues with it to get it now, thus I rather wait until those issues are fixed?

Will, there be a fix to ---> won't switch to USB automatically when plugging in the USB cord.

4.4 out and better battery life is great but are those the only reason it is much more expensive, bigger, and heavier than BTR5?

Sep 23, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #425 of 975
It's software issue, it was reported to our software team and we are awaiting fix.
I also have a similar issue playing music with my iPhone 12 Pro Max with Apple Music. If I jump tracks or go to another playlist, the sound stops coming thru the UP5. I have to swipe close Apple Music and re-start it. Will the next update fix this?

Sep 23, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #426 of 975
Can anyone comment on the SQ of UP4 vs UP5? I tried to search but not much discussion. I'm going to use it mostly in Bluetooth mode. Thanks.

Sep 23, 2021 at 8:46 PM Post #427 of 975
Will, there be a fix to ---> won't switch to USB automatically when plugging in the USB cord.

4.4 out and better battery life is great but are those the only reason it is much more expensive, bigger, and heavier than BTR5?

I'm not sure what do you mean? When connected to computer, it will automatically connect to it as USB DAC.

UP5 is bigger and heavier because it's adding the 4.4mm connector
I also have a similar issue playing music with my iPhone 12 Pro Max with Apple Music. If I jump tracks or go to another playlist, the sound stops coming thru the UP5. I have to swipe close Apple Music and re-start it. Will the next update fix this?
You are also using it as USB DAC with your iPhone?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 23, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #428 of 975
hey, my BTR5 died and because this UP5 thing looks so damn good on paper, I don't mind getting one but are there too many newly born issues with it to get it now, thus I rather wait until those issues are fixed?

Connecting it via USB : In my case automatic switch to DAC mode works perfectly?

Size: Me personally, I don`t find the slightly bigger size compared to the BTR5, for example, a big deal. Because it still is small enough to easily fit into any pocket (other than many DAPs) or attach it to ones belt. And it feels way better in the hand than something like the Qudelix! Also, having all three ports is really a joy to use if you have many IEMs!

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 11:19 PM Post #429 of 975
I'm not sure what do you mean? When connected to computer, it will automatically connect to it as USB DAC.

UP5 is bigger and heavier because it's adding the 4.4mm connector

You are also using it as USB DAC with your iPhone?
No this is via bluetooth. With regards to using it via USB DAC it doesn't work using the cable that you provide either. Do I need to change any setting in the Shanling app to make that work?

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #430 of 975
No this is via bluetooth. With regards to using it via USB DAC it doesn't work using the cable that you provide either. Do I need to change any setting in the Shanling app to make that work?
Make sure you are on the latest firmware. Early firmware were much less stable, but the current firmware mostly solves those issues.

Sep 24, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #432 of 975
Sep 24, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #433 of 975

IMO the sound quality alone justified the extra price for UP5, the UP5 sounds almost like a desktop unit (without the power of the desktop ofcourse) it has proper "weight" on the sound it produces without sounding muddy like some product of a certain brand i know :sweat_smile: , meanwhile the BTR5 9028p version sounds a lot more "leaner" well, again it just my opinion tho.

about the "issues" i guess only @Shanling can comment on this.

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #435 of 975
I have both. Up5 sounds better, more detail, more clarity, cleaner sounding. Most likely due to using dual dac setting. Go Blu only has a single dac. The only advantage of the Blue is the X bass. Blue doesn't have manual gain switch, only auto gain. Blu has no option to turn off charging if plugged into phone for USB dac mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back