Shanling UP5 - Our new flagship portable Bluetooth DAC/AMP
Sep 15, 2021 at 6:27 AM Post #391 of 975
On another topic, I found a clip that can be used on the factory case, but it requires the factory snap flap to be cut off. So far, it has survived several flights, thousands of miles of car travels and much day to day running so I'd say I have some decent field testing in on it and it's still holding up. Sooooo much better than that snap flap, at least for my needs and purposes. I got tired of fiddling with the flap and the snap, especially on the molle webbing of my travel backpack for airports. Now, it just slides right on instead of trying to jam the flap through the molle loop and then trying to snap it closed. That got old real quick.
Will a cheapo money clip work as well?
like this one from amazon.
1631701581460.png

Sep 15, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #392 of 975
Possibly. The width of the clip might be a bit too wide however because the area where the stock strap is at is raised from the rest of the case. This might cause some overhang issues if that's the case, but I couldn't answer that with 100% certainty due to money clips coming in slightly different sizes. I see the dimensions on the listing you showed, but they don't make sense to me. 3/16"ths I'd guess is the material thickness, but I'm not sure what the 1/4 inch is. If it's 2 inches in length, that would work...however, if that 2 inches is in width, it will be too wide. If the widths are right, you should be good to go. I'd say an inch or less on width is what to aim for.

Another thing to keep in mind though is the snap portion that is attached to the case itself. The clip can't be as long as the case because then the snap portion will prevent the clip from sitting flush against the case. You would either have to remove the snap at that point or mark and drill out the clip for the snap to fit.

Of note, these clips do exactly that, clip this unit to something easily and on the go. They do not do much good at holding the unit there ( like if it's in clipped to an article of clothing and you're at the gym on, say, on a decline bench, it has the likelihood of sliding off, or if you're doing a bunch of jumping around/jostling) but as long as you are mostly upright and it is mostly upright, then you won't have issues.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #393 of 975
Ok, thanks! Just mine doesn’t have that arrow (see picture)! But it will come up when there is an update available?
YOu ar eon iOS, correct? The app is bit different. Yes, there will be button when update is available.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 16, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #397 of 975
Thinking about getting the UP5 mostly as LDAC. Is there a big difference in SQ between bluetooth and USB Dac mode?

Sep 16, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #398 of 975
Thinking about getting the UP5 mostly as LDAC. Is there a big difference in SQ between bluetooth and USB Dac mode?
No the differences are imperceptible to my ears. Which is pretty amazing when you think about it. I have LDAC set to prioritise sound quality. Am using my new Kinera Skuld(uggery)s which sound v. good with the UP5 using the 4.4mm jack.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 9:00 PM Post #399 of 975
Haven`t tried LDAC, since I am an iPhone user, but comparing AAC bluetooth vs wired, in USB DAC mode sound is a little brighter and more extended/technical to my ears. But it`s not a big difference by any means and the UP5 for sure has some of the best BT sound quality I have ever heard (only superpassed by the ifi XDSD imo, which is double of the price and a lot bigger in size). I might even go as far to say that with the UP5 I prefer the tonality in BT over the one wired, because sounding slightly less bright the device also sounds a little bit more musical.
In LDAC this difference might almost disappear though, as others have stated.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #400 of 975
YOu ar eon iOS, correct? The app is bit different. Yes, there will be button when update is available.
Yep, I am on iOS. Ok, thank you for the reply! :)

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:06 PM Post #401 of 975
Sep 17, 2021 at 12:30 AM Post #403 of 975
Yes as a fan of both outfits I am looking forward to that side by side comparison on sound quality. Although I have nothing but enjoyment from my UP5….
Exactly the same here! :beerchug:

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:53 AM Post #404 of 975
Yes as a fan of both outfits I am looking forward to that side by side comparison on sound quality. Although I have nothing but enjoyment from my UP5….
same!!
except my leather case is loose and the super annoying low battery beep for 2 hours straight every 30s before device finally shuts itself off and the low battery life compared to claimed, yadayadayada :sweat_smile:

even with all that the UP5 is still a great device IMO.

Sep 17, 2021 at 6:33 AM Post #405 of 975
Playing Tidal on my UP5 whenever there is a switch between music with MQA to non-MQA, the music will stop. I tried on two different phones (Samsung and Sony) and the outcome is the same. It will be back to normal only when I disconnect/reconnect the UP5 from the phone. It will also go back to normal when I disconnect and reattached the headphones.

Greetings to all!
Yesterday I received my UP5. I have the same problem...
Latest firmware.

I want to add that playback stops even between MQA and MQA, if they are in different albums,
or collection.

Question to Shanling, is this problem being solved? Or do I need to return the device to the dealer?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back