Shanling UP5 - Our new flagship portable Bluetooth DAC/AMP
Sep 25, 2021 at 7:52 AM Post #436 of 975
I have both. Up5 sounds better, more detail, more clarity, cleaner sounding. Most likely due to using dual dac setting. Go Blu only has a single dac. The only advantage of the Blue is the X bass. Blue doesn't have manual gain switch, only auto gain. Blu has no option to turn off charging if plugged into phone for USB dac mode.
How much fuller does bass get on the Blue with Xbass compared to Up5? I am quite happy with the sound of my UP5, but I am also very curious about Go Blue because I love the implementation of X-bass (and also X-space) on the XDSD…it is so much fun to listen to…so I sm wondering how it compares?

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2021 at 7:57 AM Post #438 of 975
You can tell there's a difference. UP5 has descent bass as well, just not as strong.
Is it just more sub bass on the Go Blue? Or midbass or both?

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:28 PM Post #440 of 975
No this is via bluetooth. With regards to using it via USB DAC it doesn't work using the cable that you provide either. Do I need to change any setting in the Shanling app to make that work?
I don't think we saw such report from anybody else, truly strange why would the app be pausing. Do you see such behavior with any other app or is it truly limited just to Apple Music? And other Bluetooth headphones/speakers working fine for you?

We do not provide any iOS cable alongside UP5?

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 26, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #441 of 975
I don't think we saw such report from anybody else, truly strange why would the app be pausing. Do you see such behavior with any other app or is it truly limited just to Apple Music? And other Bluetooth headphones/speakers working fine for you?

Apple Music is the biggest culprit. I tried YouTube Music, it happened here but a lot less. I have loads of Bluetooth devices and none do this.

Sep 26, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #442 of 975

I just checked my order from AliExpress. I bought the UP5 from Shenzenaudio who sold it with an optional lightning to type c short cable. I will take the issue up with them as I didnt realise this wasn’t from yourself.

Sep 26, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #443 of 975

I have also had the issue jumping into a different app. So for example I’m playing music via Apple Music. Open twitter. Go to play a video. No sound. I had to actually disconnect the UP5 from the Bluetooth settings and reconnect to get sound on the video in twitter.

I’ve tested this with three Apple devices. iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 13 Pro and the iPad mini 6th generation.

I don’t have the 12 Pro Max now. The problem was there on iOS 14.8 and iOS 15. Both the iPad mini and iPhone 13 Pro are on the latest version of iOS 15. Hope this information helps.

Sep 26, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #444 of 975
Might have been mentioned already but any impressions on SE vs balanced output on the UP5 for more efficient IEMs? I read the change is significant for the BTR5 but I'm wondering if it's the same for the UP5.

Sep 26, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #445 of 975
I have also had the issue jumping into a different app. So for example I’m playing music via Apple Music. Open twitter. Go to play a video. No sound. I had to actually disconnect the UP5 from the Bluetooth settings and reconnect to get sound on the video in twitter.

I’ve tested this with three Apple devices. iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 13 Pro and the iPad mini 6th generation.

I don’t have the 12 Pro Max now. The problem was there on iOS 14.8 and iOS 15. Both the iPad mini and iPhone 13 Pro are on the latest version of iOS 15. Hope this information helps.
on my case, my UP5 with reno9pro android 11, when i try to open and hit play from UAPP, the song only play for 2seconds and cuts off, i have to force close the UAPP first before the playback is normal as it should be, i dont know if this is only reno9pro problem, UP5? or the UAPP itself 😅

@maricius i guess thats because BTR5 only utilizing single dac on the SE.
i've tested the UP5 with blessing 2 iem and tanchjim new hana, SE dual dac mode vs 2.5mm vs 4.4mm, the only thing i noticed is my volume getting louder, ie. SE dual dac vol 18 on true balanced i only need 14.

if i do a blind test for UP5 SE dual dac mode vs true balanced with volume matched, i guess im going to fail that test miserably 😅.

well thats only my subjective opinion tho.

also my opinion above might be a different story if the cans used were more power hungry like hd600, sadly i cant test that since i dont have balanced 2.5mm or 4.4mm for my hd600

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #446 of 975

I reported exactly the same issue a couple of weeks ago. The cable for iOS devices we got from ShenzhenAudio is the same that Shanling is offering from their official store on Aliexpress. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002827432758.html?spm=2114.12057483.detail.3.54154b0dVNgSzm
The audio dropouts are not limited to Apple Music. It also happens with Soundcloud, youtube, spotify, mixcloud and any app that plays audio, as far as I can tell.

Sep 27, 2021 at 1:52 PM Post #447 of 975
I reported exactly the same issue a couple of weeks ago. The cable for iOS devices we got from ShenzhenAudio is the same that Shanling is offering from their official store on Aliexpress. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002827432758.html?spm=2114.12057483.detail.3.54154b0dVNgSzm
The audio dropouts are not limited to Apple Music. It also happens with Soundcloud, youtube, spotify, mixcloud and any app that plays audio, as far as I can tell.
Yes I have to agree. The dropouts are from every app. Thanks for the heads up on the iOS cable. I’m annoyed now by Shanling’s response to me.

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #448 of 975
truly strange why would the app be pausing.
The app isn't pausing playback. It keeps playing, but the audio drops out (you can see the playback timer keeps counting up from the start of the track). We need to either power down the UP5 and back on again, or disconnect bluetooth and reconnect to get audio playback to work again.

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #449 of 975
The app isn't pausing playback. It keeps playing, but the audio drops out (you can see the playback timer keeps counting up from the start of the track). We need to either power down the UP5 and back on again, or disconnect bluetooth and reconnect to get audio playback to work again.
I have exactly the same behaviour on my iPhone and iPad.

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #450 of 975
+1 on this, same behavior but i experience this with my redmi note 9 pro not an iphone with usb audio player pro apps, the playback timer keeps counting up but the audio drops out, on my case, i need to force close the UAPP first then somehow the playback works fine again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back