Shanling Q1 - Retro-Styled Portable Hi-Fi Music Player
Dec 30, 2019 at 7:48 PM Post #46 of 584
Local taxes is something we can't influence. Neither it's something that local distributor can ignore, so they just charge it to customer.

We tried to get as many reviews as possible, few should still be coming. Of course users reviewer are kind of impossible to get at this stage.

I understand completely, these are things you have no control over. Still very excited to check it out next February or March. I was very disappointed the M2X never came to Canada so I am really hoping that Motet will bring the Q1 here. Given how popular the M0 is should be a no brainer.

Jan 8, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #50 of 584
Thanks for posting the manual.

Having read it, I have a suggestion for a long press action of the middle button. If you could use it as 'stop', it would be great to add a bookmarking system like Rockbox has so you can conveniently use the player for audiobooks/podcasts.

To quote from their manual for a Rockbox'd Sansa Clip+ (which I use for audiobooks now):

8.7 Bookmarking

Bookmarks allow you to save your current position within a track so that you can return to it at a later time. Bookmarks also store rate, pitch and speed information from the Pitch Screen (see section 4.3.3). Bookmarks are saved on a per directory basis or for individual (saved) playlists. You can store multiple bookmarks, even for the same track. When there’s already a bookmark for a directory or playlist, new bookmarks are added before existing ones.

Bookmarks are stored next to the directory or playlist they reference, in a file with the same name as the directory or playlist and a “.bmark” extension. To load a bookmark, select the bookmark file and then select the bookmark to load. There are other ways to load a bookmarks mentioned below.

Note: Bookmarking only works when tracks are launched from the file browser, and does not work for tracks launched via the database. In addition, they do not work with dynamic playlists.

Bookmark on Stop.
This option controls whether Rockbox creates a bookmark when playback is stopped manually.
No. - Do not create bookmarks.
Yes. - Always create bookmarks.
Ask. - Ask if a bookmark should be created.
Yes – Recent Only. - Always create a bookmark, but only in the recent bookmarks list.
Ask – Recent Only. - Ask if a bookmark should be created, but only add it to the recent bookmarks list.

When either Yes – Recent Only or Ask – Recent Only is selected, bookmarks are only created if the Maintain a List of Recent Bookmarks is enabled.

Note: The Resume function remembers your position in the most recently accessed track regardless of how the Bookmark on Stop option is set.

(The technical solution how the bookmarks are stored is theirs, obviously not relevant for your MTouch system this exact way).

Jan 9, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #51 of 584
Thanks for posting the manual.

Having read it, I have a suggestion for a long press action of the middle button. If you could use it as 'stop', it would be great to add a bookmarking system like Rockbox has so you can conveniently use the player for audiobooks/podcasts.

offering a way to install rockbox would be even better :D

Jan 12, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #52 of 584
Final 48 hours in our Kickstarter campaign for Shanling Q1, Retro-Styled Portable Hi-Res Music Player.

Don’t miss your chance to get Q1 early and with 25% discount, at only $89.

Join our Kickstarter

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 17, 2020 at 9:27 PM Post #53 of 584
Our Chinese New Year holidays starts today. We will be out of office until February 3rd.

During this time, our communication will be significantly limited. We apologize for delay in replying to your posts and messages.

We wish you a happy year of the Rat.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 5, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #54 of 584
Received my Q1 today and it takes some getting used to.

My only Shanling reference is an M0 and that is absolutely tiny by comparison. Q1 is still not big at all but it feels positively massive relative to M0. It also takes some practice to hold it without pressing one of the 3 buttons. The big screen on the Q1 is gorgeous and the extra space is quite welcome for the MTouch system.

There are some differences in the software (v1.2) compared to the latest version on M0 too. Most noticeable are the different icons obviously. The (red) highlighting of the currently playing folder in the folders view is a nice touch.

The spacing between items in lists (either track lists or menu options) is way too big though in my opinion. Only 4 lines are visible at any time and a lot of space is wasted. Could be that this is make it easier to select any single line, but it means you have to scroll a lot.

The Q1 sounds very good though, obviously similar to the M0 as both use the ES9218P.

I have not tested any of the bluetooth or DAC features yet.

Attachments

• q1.jpg
    q1.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 5, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #55 of 584
This is from my dedicated review for the Q1 here on Headfi, and from ohm-image. YouTube, too. Hope this helps anyone out there wondering about it.

Disclaimer: Shanling sent the Q1 to me for a review at Headfonics. That you can read here: Shaling Q1 review. I also reviewed it at ohm-image. I paid nothing for it and have enjoyed it immensely. It is a pre-production unit in special reviewer purple. Production versions look different. They also come in boxes.

NOTE: This text is verbatim the text found at ohm-image.net. I am the publisher of the original text and own ohm-image. I ain't no pirate. For full photos, hit up the original, again here:

ohmage to the Shanling Q1

Companion RMAA measurements can be found here:

RMAA: Shanling Q1 24-bit

Finally, if you want to see how the Q1 handles in a real hands-on, check out my YouTube video below. Same review text, but lots of use case showcase moving pictures.

The Q1 is smaller, cheaper, and, at normal listening levels, it sounds just as good as the M2X. Sure, it lacks the M2X’s rubber port gaskets, balanced output, wifi, Tidal (and on and on and on), but its simplified graphical and physical UI are just what my doctor ordered.

Specifications:
Screen: 2,7 inch 360x400 touch screen
System: Touch OS by Shanling
Weight: 136,8g
DAC: ESS Sabre E9218P
Battery life: up to 21 hours (depending on usage)
Deep standby: up to 20 days (depending on usage)
Charging time: 2 hours (depending on usage)
Battery capacity: 1100 may
Storage: up to 2TB micro SD card
Audio formats: APE, FLAC, ALAC, WMA, AAC, OGG, MP3, OPUS, WAVE, AIFF, DSF, DIFF
Output port: 3,5mm jack headphone output
Output power: 80mW @32Ω
Output impedance: <0,2Ω
Channel separation: -78dB
Recommended headphone impedance: 8-300Ω
Frequency response: 20-40kHz
Distortion: 0,004%
Signal to noise Ratio: 118dB
Ground noise: <3,2uV (High Gain) <1,5uV (Low Gain)
Dynamic Range: > 105dB
Hi-Res support: up to 384kHz / 32bit, DSD64 & DSD125
Bluetooth: Two-way Bluetooth 4,2
Bluetooth Codec: Two-way LDAC, AAC, SBC, Transmit only aptX

Haptics and build: ohmage and porridge

The Q1 is more compact than a slimline Aiwa MD player. Heck, its footprint is smaller than a minidisk cassette and is only about three times thicker. Unlike a HX100, its buttons are easy to reach, and sized for adult fingers. The tracking back button falls right under the index finger, the play/pause button falls right under the middle finger, and the tracking forward button right under the ring finger. The one fly stirring in the ointment is the ambiguous iconography behind its play/pause button, which sure as not, looks like a stop/start control for a portable recorder.

The Q1’s headphone jack is centre aligned along the bottom edge. This ensures that headphone cables droop directly from the player in a clean parabolic arc to your ears. Top-aligned ports force the headphone cable to double back behind the player and hook on or stab random stuff in front of you, which can damage both the player and plug.

Thanks to its curved bottom, the Q1 feels great in the hand. But on a table, it spins like a top. Still, the Q1 is buttoned up pretty tight. If not for its protruding glass screen, I reckon it could take a spill or two from your kitchen table. Its back is hollowed from a single piece of metal, and its large buttons sit atop solid plinths. Glass screen aside, it is ready to be rough handled.

The Q1’s screen is pretty low resolution and isn’t great for browsing photos. But, its colours are reasonably crisp. Viewing angles are sufficient enough to keep text and art legible for most viewing, but gosh if it doesn’t wash out pretty fast when held at an angle. In every aspect, it is superior to the screens in Cowon’s D2 and Onkyo’s DP-S1. Even when scrolling fast, image tearing is minimal. Conversely, when browsing two or three layers deep in the UI, the Q1 stammers a bit.

Speaking of UI, while easy as pie to learn, and reliable whilst jogging from home to work, its icons are straight from Windows XP. They are ugly and a poor match to the Q1’s playful exterior. But they are the right size for easy touching. And, they are perfectly placed for fingers of all sizes. Behind them is a responsive touch/swipe engine. A few screens are confusing, hide too much, or display incorrect information. An example of the latter is ‘You’re The One For Me’’s place in my Frequent list. I’ve never played it on any portable device, let alone the Q1, and I’ve not listened to it more than a handful of times on any device. How it nabbed spot one on my frequency list constitutes a conspiracy on the order of 9/11.

I’ve tracked the Q1 at near twenty hours of playback with a good salad of use cases. Sure, you can do better, but it is more than enough to get through a day of work and the commute to and fro.

Its Bluetooth functionality is awesome. You can dual it up as a receiver for your iPhone and plug in your favourite tethered earphones, or send signals from it to your favourite wireless buds. The latter can get up to 50 metres from the Q1 before the signal quality goes kaput. That’s almost as good as an iPhone, so cool beans.

Kitsch: ohmage

This bad boy is pre-production. If you want to see how the full package looks, check out any review from February on. It’s generally no-nonsense, if styled a bit joke-ily. Its easy to suss GUI and reliable button array are great. The chrome accents are a bit kitsch, but installed in such a solid player, they are nothing but a bit of eccentricity.

Storage: porridge

You’ll have to pony up for a micro SD card because the Q1 lacks internal storage. I’ve been using 32GB Toshiba beasts of speed and reliability and 200GB Sandisk dogs of surfeit and self-destruction.

Battery life: ohmage

I’ve tracked the Q1 at near twenty hours of playback with a good salad of use cases. Sure, you can do better, but it is more than enough to get through a day of work and the commute to and fro.

Sound: ohmage

I look at sound quality a bit differently to many reviewers out there. If a device does what it sets out to do, and performs well within its category by keeping hiss low, nailing gapless playback, and keeping current-to-voltage ratios high, it gets good marks from me. If it does all of that whilst providing a unique signature, dayum!

The Q1 hisses a tiny bit more than an iPhone SE, making it almost perfect for the most sensitive earphones on the market. And, it spits perfect current into low-Ω headphones and earphones. This ensures great frequency response and stereo performance no matter what’s plugged into it.

Recently, I’ve tested a few mid to high-end players that return worse measurements than the Q1, a fact about which I recently argued at length with a high-profile reviewer. If sound quality means how it makes you feel, the Q1 isn’t as good sounding as Cayin’s N6ii, but if sound quality is measurable as a percentage of deviation against the original signal, then the Q1 basically shows up players as high up the scale as the AK380.

Even with a minimum slow filter engaged the Q1 belts out music at a foot-tapping pace. There’s not a real comfy chair bone in its body. And that is the biggest bone I have to pick with it. I’d much rather soften its top end with a DAC filter than EQ. The good news is that the Q1’s EQ is robust and easy to use.

As you can see, the Q1 keeps up incredible stereo pressure across the spectrum through a variety of loads. IMD and THD distortion top out at 0,052% under the extreme load of an Earsonics SM2. Driving the current-hungry but voltage shy Audio Technica ES7, the worst distortion the Q1 puts out is 0,0089%. Obviously, both are totally inaudible. Jitter is nominal for a player in its price range, and as low as many high-end DAPs on the market today. At normal listening levels, SNR, stereo separation, and DR drop, but only commensurately to the volume differential between MAX and comfort.

Objectively, the Q1 is impeccable and among the best DAPs I’ve tested. It also sounds good, but it is obvious that Shanling didn’t put much effort into really tailoring its output for a specific sort of sound. Whether peaky and open, or dark and rich, I wish they had. Yes, I prefer the latter, but that preference isn’t what drives the desire for a more unique sound signature. For whatever reason, high-end DAPs tend to deliver the more unique signatures. Oftentimes this comes coupled with unique distortion patterns, and more. The Q1 sounds like a better-measuring iPhone. That means: near perfection, but it means very little character, even after applying DAC filters, EQs, and the like. I love the DAP, and I know that technically, its sound is top-notch. But, like many if not most audiophiles, I pine for a DAP that advertises itself along many audio avenues, including a unique and tailored house sound. Unfortunately, the Q1 totally lacks a house or brand-painted sound.

End words

Its few flaws in UI and haptics aside, the Q1 is the best DAP I’ve reviewed in recent memory. It performs almost without flaw. And, while it lacks a unique sound signature, it sounds great. Its battery life is good, and it is robust, easy to use, and generally responsive. You can even use it as a tethered or wireless DAC for your phone or computer. The Q1’s got it where it counts; better yet, counting up to its price point doesn’t take that long. It’s awesome.

ohmage: 4
porridge: 2

Mar 5, 2020 at 10:09 AM Post #56 of 584
I got mine yesterday. This is my first Shanling and first DAP and I’m pairing it with Tin HiFi T3.

I played various types of files without problem. FLAC, APE, WAV and DSF. But ISO not supported.

First time I’m playing DSF and compared the exact same song with FLAC. I can say that there is really a difference. Clarity is mostly same but the sound stage is definitely bigger on the DSF and sound separation is much better. Feels like first time comparing mp3 and FLAC. The mp3 sounded so crammed. Now FLAC is crammed compared to DSF.

I have one problem though. The Q1 plays DSD64 files perfectly. But when I played DSD128 files there is a loud hissing sound in the background. Is it because DSD128 is not Supported? It detects the file though. And shows 5.6Mhz.

also will the usb support iOS in the future? It will be great if I can stream Tidal through iPhone to the Q1

all in all the Q1 looks great, sounds great and no regrets getting it.

Mar 5, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #58 of 584
I played various types of files without problem. FLAC, APE, WAV and DSF. But ISO not supported.

I have one problem though. The Q1 plays DSD64 files perfectly. But when I played DSD128 files there is a loud hissing sound in the background. Is it because DSD128 is not Supported? It detects the file though. And shows 5.6Mhz.

also will the usb support iOS in the future? It will be great if I can stream Tidal through iPhone to the Q1

Iso works on my Q1, if you could and send us your file(using Google Drive), we can have a look at it.

For DSD128, check how is your DSD output setting, if D2P or DOP, try to switch it and see if it gets better.

Officially supported USB devices for iOS are tricky, demanding certifications and hardware. And the other way just depends on the Apple and what they switch around on their phones and iOS.

Mar 5, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #59 of 584
Iso works on my Q1, if you could and send us your file(using Google Drive), we can have a look at it.

For DSD128, check how is your DSD output setting, if D2P or DOP, try to switch it and see if it gets better.

Officially supported USB devices for iOS are tricky, demanding certifications and hardware. And the other way just depends on the Apple and what they switch around on their phones and iOS.

Hi. Thx for the reply. Q1 is able to read the file and correctly Show the track names. But when I try to play it says not supported.

For DSD128, I have tried both D2P and DoP. Both are having the same result. Once I click play I will hear the background noise amplified and loud hissing sound. When I change track I can hear some static or white noise. But when playing DSD64 it’s pure silence.

One little request. If we can remap then prev/next track button to vol up and down will be great. Not sure if due to the unit is new or what. The dial is a bit tight and hard to turn using my thumb. One finger operation is difficult.

also on the UI. After waking up the player using the dial button, it will show a blank screen with only the background picture. We need to tap the screen to see the details. Also the lock screen is showing date and time only. It will be great if we can see the song title , track and vol control when waking up the unit. Something like a phone. And if can tap screen to wake up then it will be wonderful. ☺

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #60 of 584
Got Q1, amazing DAP. Beautiful green color, sounds like build-up M0, I like it.
I pair it with Fiio FA1 and I was suprised that Q1 enhanced subbas nicely. I like this rig.

I have found one issue of the firmware (1.2). When I changed the time format to 24 hours and restart the DAP it goes back to 12h format. Can you fix it?

Another question is rather for better comfort - is there an option to manipulate font size? I would like to see more folders in the browser view.
Last question - is it possible to sort Album in the Library chronologically when I go into selected Artist/Album Artist?

Despite that Q1 is truly amazing. I had M1 and M3, liked both and Q1 seems to be a perfect compromise between them in terms of sound and portability. Great job!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back