Shanling Q1 - Retro-Styled Portable Hi-Fi Music Player
Mar 10, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #61 of 584
I got mine yesterday.
My word it seems big after my M0.
Loving the sound - that's as analytical as I get.
NP Robert Glasper from the BBC Radio 6music festival.
The piano sounds really good but that's within the usual crappy bbc live sound.

I'm struggling with the interface, when I pause, it switches itself off far too quickly and I can't find how to change that.
I'll have to stop being such a lazy sod and rtfm.
Basically I just want to switch between folder view and now playing but it takes far too many strokes to get back to folder view.

I've disabled the buttons, far too easy to press and move onto the next track accidentally.

While I'm here I must put in my request for bookmarking and ffwd but it seems like it will never happen.
Like the M0 I absolutely love the rock solid resume, even after a firmware update.

From past experience with Shanling the software, user experience etc. will improve incrementally.

Another great product.

Chas

Mar 10, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #62 of 584
I got mine yesterday.
My word it seems big after my M0.
Loving the sound - that's as analytical as I get.
NP Robert Glasper from the BBC Radio 6music festival.
The piano sounds really good but that's within the usual crappy bbc live sound.

I'm struggling with the interface, when I pause, it switches itself off far too quickly and I can't find how to change that.
Basically I just want to switch between folder view and now playing but it takes far too many strokes to get back to folder view.

I've disabled the buttons, far too easy to press and move onto the next track accidentally.

While I'm here I must put in my request for bookmarking and ffwd but it seems like it will never happen.
Like the M0 I absolutely love the rock solid resume, even after a firmware update.

From past experience with Shanling the software, user experience etc. will improve incrementally.

Another great product.

Chas
Yep, wouldn't hold your breath on that one :p

Mar 10, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #63 of 584
I’ve had the Fiio M11 & Hiby R6 Pro DAPs. While great & fully featured by comparison...I love the sheer simplicity, the sound quality & retro design of this digital player.
8DD6A18D-3184-4B94-874C-FBC1BBF4421C.jpegFC5A625B-6B5B-4095-ABA3-63E6C10FB13B.jpegE326B0C5-A72A-4353-886E-B9186930A5F4.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2020 at 10:16 PM Post #64 of 584
I have found one issue of the firmware (1.2). When I changed the time format to 24 hours and restart the DAP it goes back to 12h format. Can you fix it?

Another question is rather for better comfort - is there an option to manipulate font size? I would like to see more folders in the browser view.
Last question - is it possible to sort Album in the Library chronologically when I go into selected Artist/Album Artist?

Despite that Q1 is truly amazing. I had M1 and M3, liked both and Q1 seems to be a perfect compromise between them in terms of sound and portability. Great job!

We are aware of this time bug and will be fixed soon.
Unfortunately no setting for screen size or chronological order in artist/album browsing.

Player turning off when paused, go to system settings > Idle and swipe left, there is setting for automatic turn off and standby mode.
At current setup, it's three swipes to get into folder browsing(or single swipe to right from now playing screen, if you were in folder view before). Will see if we could add in future firmware the same small item menu as we have on M2X / M5s.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 11, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #67 of 584
Was surprised that it was as big as it is (expected something less than half its size), then thought it was best, as good sound out of very small things tends to get very expensive. This being a $90 player, I thought there might be hope for it yet :D. Very much pleased with its form factor and sound. Getting used to the UI. Buttons on side are a bit too sensitive. Very much happy with it.

Mar 14, 2020 at 4:48 AM Post #68 of 584
Got mine last week too, in forest green. It looks sublime and the case colour matches too, top marks Shanling!

As others have said it’s huge next to the MO! Getting used to the buttons and UI as the wheel only does volume.

I didn’t expect such a step up in sound quality from the M0 considering the same DAC chip. Soundstage is bigger and seems a little deeper. Sub bass not as full/weighty compared to as the M0, while detail and voices sound a little bit more real. Listening with 535SEs and will run it through my Mojo a bit later.

My MO has a glitch when playing an m4a format/AAC codec file, that when paused, on resume it resets to the start of the track. Works flawlessly on the Q!!

One happy chappy and it a lot of a player especially at the Kickstarter price.

EDIT: sub bass full and weighty, didn’t have the volume level the same setting as on the M0.

Q1 via Mojo is sublime, taking the already good sound and adding what the Mojo does best...

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #69 of 584
EDIT: sub bass full and weighty, didn’t have the volume level the same setting as on the M0.
And after you've matched the volume, would you still say that Q1 sound any better than M0?
Not gonna lie, it's hard for me to believe that difference is so big, considering that inside these 2 are basically the same.

Mar 14, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #70 of 584
I did not have a change to directly compare both, but I listened to M0 some time ago. Now I have Q1 and feels like Q1 jest better in terms of dynamics. But it is not a few levels difference but just "a bit" better.

Mar 15, 2020 at 4:16 AM Post #71 of 584
And after you've matched the volume, would you still say that Q1 sound any better than M0?
Not gonna lie, it's hard for me to believe that difference is so big, considering that inside these 2 are basically the same.

The signature is the same but I find the soundstage of the M0 is not as wide, it as though it wraps literally around the side of my head. The M0 is mightily impressive and has converted me away from my HTC10.

The Q1s soundstage in comparison is wider, and there’s more sparkle to the upper treble. It’s as though I’m right in the middle of the soundstage rather than recessed slightly. I just came across twister6’s comments https://twister6.com/2019/12/15/shanling-q1/4/ and I’m hearing similar differences via my SE535LTDs.

I’ll probably carry on using the M0 for commuting/travel as its size and weight beat the Q1, which I’ll use at home.

Mar 15, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #72 of 584
I’ll probably carry on using the M0 for commuting/travel as its size and weight beat the Q1, which I’ll use at home.

I would like to do that, but swap SD cards. Unfortunately the 'database' is not on the SD card but on the device so it will not move along (yes, I know, I can create the database on each device and then swap but it still makes no sense).

Funny how many people who got the Q1 already had an M0.

Mar 16, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #74 of 584
I would like to do that, but swap SD cards. Unfortunately the 'database' is not on the SD card but on the device so it will not move along (yes, I know, I can create the database on each device and then swap but it still makes no sense).
Swapping SD cards – aye a bit of a faff when you just want to pick one up as you’re heading out the door.

I’ve only got a 128GB card and will probably get another. Granted more faff to keep both updated with new file additions, but, I’d have 2 copies so have a sort of backup in case one SD card fails :relaxed:

First world problem and all that…

Funny how many people who got the Q1 already had an M0.
I looked at the Audiolab mdac nano, then came across the M0, and it’s incredible.. and cheaper!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back