Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Feb 28, 2021 at 7:19 PM Post #2,266 of 5,808
@Shanling nevermind, looks like I didn't set my foobar correctly. It play DSD512

Feb 28, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #2,267 of 5,808
Has anybody tried the M8 with the Campfire Andromeda IEM's by any chance?

I'm looking to purchase a set of Andromeda OR Solaris 2020 but wondered if they are a good match with the M8?

Thanks
Andromeda, with its "unique" impedance curve, will act accordingly with the M8's output at 2ohm. So overall more neutral, less bassy, less thick.

Up to personal preferences if that's something you like on Andromeda or not (I personally prefer it this way).
@Shanling

I received my new M8 yesterday from Musictek. Thank you for producing such an amazing DAP. Having come from a iBasso DX300 I can say this DAP is far superior in build and sound quality. Very happy customer.

The only problem I have is both of the screen protectors included in the box were so dried out that they were unusable. The paper backing was all stuck to the TPU so could not be applied to the DAP.

Please could you get in touch with me so I can arrange replacements with you as I currently have nothing on the DAP and I would like to preserve the DAP for many years to come.

Thanks
Please reach out to Musicteck, we sent them some extra screen protectors for such case.
You might have a faulty unit in the M8, according to the YouTube reviews I've seen, nobody has mentioned heat being an issue.
M8 can get warmer than some other DAPs. SO just because one perceive it as warm, it doesn't mean it's faulty.
@Shanling I finally got the M8 but looks like it doesn't play DSD512 over usb. It does play up do DSD256. In your product page it says "with the advanced XMOS USB interface, M8 can serve as a true Hi-Fi USB DAC, supporting Hi-Res playback all the way up to 32bit/ 768 kHz and native DSD512" but in the FAQ document (which exist only inside the DAP) you have "6. Does M8 support digital output? Yes, M8 supports digital output. Digital signal can be outputted through USB port. Supports PCM up to 32bit/384kHz, DSD up to DSD256 in native, DOP or D2P form."
This is a blatant false advertisement. Will you ever support DSD512 over usb?
XMOS is used for USB DAC function, which is completely different from the USB Digital output.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 1, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #2,269 of 5,808
You might have a faulty unit in the M8, according to the YouTube reviews I've seen, nobody has mentioned heat being an issue.
It really could be the case. I was surprised, too.

The M8 is playing without a break since then and it really opened up. I would say it’s soundwise on par with the dx300 (just with a different flavour).

The iBasso plays about a 30% longer and the battery takes half the time to get fully loaded. DX300 is also way faster than the M8.
Concerning the heat... it gets as hot as my DX160 when it’s playing hires audio while charging. I never did this before at the same time but noticed it yesterday because I had no time to wait :)

Mar 1, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #2,270 of 5,808
It really could be the case. I was surprised, too.

The M8 is playing without a break since then and it really opened up. I would say it’s soundwise on par with the dx300 (just with a different flavour).

The iBasso plays about a 30% longer and the battery takes half the time to get fully loaded. DX300 is also way faster than the M8.
Concerning the heat... it gets as hot as my DX160 when it’s playing hires audio while charging. I never did this before at the same time but noticed it yesterday because I had no time to wait :)
Thanks.

Mar 1, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #2,271 of 5,808
The Xelastec tips have emerged as my favorites as they mold to your ear canal shape so give you a quasi-custom experience balances the sound to perfection.
Did you compared them to the Stock Elysium SpinFIt tips?
I don't have many tips to compare, but I did compare INAIRS AIR1 foam tips with the SpinFIt tips.
INAIRS fit way better.
SpinFit sound way better.
INAIRS take away quite some of the brilliance and the cristal clear sound that I love so much about my Elysium.
SpinFit take a while until they sit properly and have to be put back once in a while when you move. But for now it is worth it.
I was quite shocked how different they sound. To the level, that I may not have been such a fan of Elysium if I would have heard them with INAIRS in the first place.
So I am looking for tips that preseve the sound character of the Elysiums but adapt better to the ear channel.
Are Xelastecs the answer?
Btw. Thank you so much for your great reviews about M8 (and Elysium)!
I am completely adicted to M8 with Elysiums. You just don't want to stop listening to music any more. So fluent flow of music. Such an intensity and high level of musicality. Sleeping time suffers. But it is worth it. :)

Mar 1, 2021 at 8:02 AM Post #2,272 of 5,808
I don't have many tips to compare, but I did compare INAIRS AIR1 foam tips with the SpinFIt tips.
INAIRS fit way better.
INAIRS take away quite some of the brilliance and the cristal clear sound that I love so much about my Elysium.
SpinFit take a while until they sit properly and have to be put back once in a while when you move. But for now it is worth it.
I was quite shocked how different they sound. To the level, that I may not have been such a fan of Elysium if I would have heard them with INAIRS in the first place.
So I am looking for tips that preseve the sound character of the Elysiums but adapt better to the ear channel.
I am completely adicted to M8 with Elysiums. You just don't want to stop listening to music any more. So fluent flow of music. Such an intensity and high level of musicality. Sleeping time suffers. But it is worth it. :)
Xelastec are great until they stretch. Unfortunately, they stretch a lot - you lose your insulation because they get too big.

20210301_140913.jpg

These inserts had already been restored once by a hot and cold bath.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #2,273 of 5,808
INAIRS fit way better.
You have tried comply?

Mar 1, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #2,274 of 5,808
You have tried comply?

No, but InAirs are supposedly the same. Same principle and they look the same.
I guess the porous surface that is still peaking out of the tips (inside the ear) sucks in some treble.
But of course same looks don't necessarily deliver same sound ...
Guess I will just try with the Xelastecs. Don't like the streching issue mentioned by @mzura ...

Mar 1, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #2,276 of 5,808
For me Comply T400 works great my number 1. Better then CP145.
Well...i always use because the tip inside my ear takes the shape of ear canal. Best solution is the tip molded like ciem

Mar 2, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #2,280 of 5,808
And this is why I personally moved to custom IEM:)
Hello, any chance to upgrade the Android version from 7 to 9 on Shanling M8? Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back