Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Mar 2, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #2,281 of 5,808
Hello, any chance to upgrade the Android version from 7 to 9 on Shanling M8? Thank you!

Have been asked many times, and their answer until now has always been "we don't know"
So i'm guessing highly unlikely due to old SoC limitation by google?

Mar 2, 2021 at 10:47 AM Post #2,282 of 5,808
Have been asked many times, and their answer until now has always been "we don't know"
So i'm guessing highly unlikely due to old SoC limitation by google?
Thank you! I would prefer an answer from the company representative, because even on the Shanling M6 pro they were saying that an update to Android 9 is in work. I am asking as a new owner of the Shanlink M8. I bought the dap whith the hope they are going to update the Android version from 7 to 9

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #2,283 of 5,808
Mar 2, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #2,285 of 5,808
The fire happened last year, AKM factory should be up and running about now right ?

One would think but according to the announcement above the October fire has made it hard to get AKM chips to the point that this month they're releasing a new M6 with Sabre chips...so evidently the impact of the fire is still being felt.

Mar 2, 2021 at 11:37 AM Post #2,286 of 5,808
The fire happened last year, AKM factory should be up and running about now right ?
They are still in a bad shape according to a Japanese source...

Mar 2, 2021 at 12:27 PM Post #2,287 of 5,808
They are still in a bad shape according to a Japanese source...

That's rough...anyone who's on the fence/leaning towards a purchase of any DAP with an AK chip should move fast.

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #2,289 of 5,808
That's rough...anyone who's on the fence/leaning towards a purchase of any DAP with an AK chip should move fast.

These are the words of AKM to the situation (dated january 22.)
"We have discussed with our customers about the possibility of switching to alternative products, and requested other semiconductor manufacturers to supply such alternative products to our customers where possible.
Regarding cases where alternative products are unavailable, we are advancing preparations for substitute manufacturing.
Currently, several semiconductor manufacturers are cooperating with this endeavor regarding certain products."

"possibility of switching to alternative products" doesn't sound like they will be able to supply themselves soon.
I haven't found any more recent updates.

Mar 2, 2021 at 1:27 PM Post #2,291 of 5,808
These are the words of AKM to the situation (dated january 22.)
"We have discussed with our customers about the possibility of switching to alternative products, and requested other semiconductor manufacturers to supply such alternative products to our customers where possible.
Regarding cases where alternative products are unavailable, we are advancing preparations for substitute manufacturing.
Currently, several semiconductor manufacturers are cooperating with this endeavor regarding certain products."

"possibility of switching to alternative products" doesn't sound like they will be able to supply themselves soon.
I haven't found any more recent updates.
On a Japanese newspaper dated on January 27, 2021, Renesas Electronics is going provide substitute manufacturing for lots of AKM chips used in many cars. They did not mention anything about the chips for audio products. They just said AKM has no vision restarting the production of their chips.

Mar 2, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #2,292 of 5,808
Hello, any chance to upgrade the Android version from 7 to 9 on Shanling M8? Thank you!

Not sure, can't promise anything for this.

https://en.shanling.com/article-m621Intro.html

I came across the above announcement that the Shanling M6 is moving to Sabre chips following the fire at the AKM factory. @Shanling do you know if this will be happening for the M8 as well?

It will depend on the sales of M8 and availability of its DAC chips over time. We had some stock of AK4499 DACs ready for M8 and so far it goes alright, but there might be time when we will have to switch.

If you want the AKM DACs, I would say better to go now than wait.

While AKM is setting up quickly manufacturing for car chips, audiophile line is not priority for them.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 2, 2021 at 7:48 PM Post #2,293 of 5,808
Not sure, can't promise anything for this.

It will depend on the sales of M8 and availability of its DAC chips over time. We had some stock of AK4499 DACs ready for M8 and so far it goes alright, but there might be time when we will have to switch.

If you want the AKM DACs, I would say better to go now than wait.

While AKM is setting up quickly manufacturing for car chips, audiophile line is not priority for them.
Thank you for reply. Not the news that I wanted, but I still hope that in the future Shanling to offer Android 9 for the M8

Mar 6, 2021 at 8:03 AM Post #2,294 of 5,808
The M8 provides such a wonderful amount of rich body to my Denon D9200, paired with the Arctic Cables Fusion...sipping on coffee and listening to the new Kings of Leon and the new Pat Metheny, nice Saturday morning.
20210306_074907.jpg

Mar 6, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #2,295 of 5,808
The M8 provides such a wonderful amount of rich body to my Denon D9200, paired with the Arctic Cables Fusion...sipping on coffee and listening to the new Kings of Leon and the new Pat Metheny, nice Saturday morning.
20210306_074907.jpg
A spectacular combo, indeed. This morning I demo'd the Denons with my M8 at K55 in Zürich, along with the T+A Solitaire (need more juice), Empyreans (wow, wider soundstage, but otherwise I preferred the Denons), and Stellias (nice combo, but not necesarily more enjoyable). Will be buying some 9200s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back