Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Mar 7, 2021 at 10:10 AM Post #2,311 of 5,808
Today a modern good dap has same performance compared to fixed electronics.

How does the Vega 2020 sound through the M8?

Mar 7, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #2,313 of 5,808
Still cannot stop listening to M8 + Elysium. If only a day had more hours ...

But Shanling App still sucks on large collections (1 TB, > 10.000 Titles) using Sandisk Ultra Plus.
I am using UAPP since the Shanling app is unusable, but it would be nice to be able to swap to another player once in a while.
After some break I tried rescanning today. ... app crashes repeatedly ... each time I had to restart the M8.

UAPP at least does the job ...

Mar 7, 2021 at 4:36 PM Post #2,315 of 5,808
Forgive me for being ignorant if I am being so, but if Shanling cannot commit to updating the android OS on the M8, does that not make the interchangeable headphone port system a gimmick?

I thought the whole point of the interchangeable ports was to future proof the device?

Mar 7, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #2,316 of 5,808
Forgive me for being ignorant if I am being so, but if Shanling cannot commit to updating the android OS on the M8, does that not make the interchangeable headphone port system a gimmick?

I thought the whole point of the interchangeable ports was to future proof the device?
I believe the main reason for the interchangeable port was to save space on the internals and for cosmetic reasons. I could be wrong with that and I’m happy to be corrected by @Shanling

Mar 7, 2021 at 5:02 PM Post #2,317 of 5,808
Yes that makes sense, I may well have read ‘futureproof’ in a review as opposed to in any Shanling marketing.

I am going to buy one regardless

Mar 7, 2021 at 9:10 PM Post #2,318 of 5,808
Genau. HiFiGo is the best option I have found for Switzerland.
We will be setting up distributor in Switzerland in few months.
I believe the main reason for the interchangeable port was to save space on the internals and for cosmetic reasons. I could be wrong with that and I’m happy to be corrected by @Shanling
Another reason is for the possibility to add more options. At release it allowed us to already add new 3.5Pro, we showed the upcoming RCA module and we have few other prototypes in our offices.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 7, 2021 at 9:37 PM Post #2,319 of 5,808

Another reason is for the possibility to add more options. At release it allowed us to already add new 3.5Pro, we showed the upcoming RCA module and we have few other prototypes in our offices.

How about fitting an XLR module? lol

Mar 8, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #2,320 of 5,808

Thanks for the information.

@Shanling Could you also let us know what the output power is when running the DAP in Line Out to an external AMP?

Are all interconnect options (2.5 BAL/3.5 SE /4.4 BAL/ 3.5 PRO) forced to the same output specs when in Line Out because I cannot see any specs on the website.

Thanks

Mar 8, 2021 at 11:16 AM Post #2,321 of 5,808
I agreed with everything you said. It isn’t the emphasis of the bass, it just has the body density and the sub-bass together with the ambient warmth , it may appear that way. It is a really good DAP for sure

If you want to know an emphasis of bass, the dx300 has it :wink:
Don't forget the musicality of the bass....

Mar 8, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #2,322 of 5,808
Question to the UAPP users:

when playing MQA tracks in Tidal (or local files), do you get full unfolding? For me the resolution stays at 96KHz whereas in Shanling app I get the full 384KHz.
Did you ever get this working or are we still waiting for an updated update from UAPP? I am stuck in max 96 kHz land as well after properly enabling the bit perfect driver after buying the MQA upgrade. It's a pain to use UAPP for flac 16-bit and local files (sounds great) and then need the Tidal app for proper MQA. With the Tidal app having no apparent read out of what exactly the original rate is? Just 352/384 kHz for everything. Annoying. Does it matter when listening? No, but A&K do it properly. And the Tidal app does sound better than UAPP Tidal MQA currently. Edit: After listening some more today, this is not the case. UAPP still sounds better, even with the lack of full rendering support.

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2021 at 6:12 PM Post #2,324 of 5,808
I hope somebody will propose a hard tempered screen protector. Because those that comes with the DAP are very annoying. 1 month of use and still has bubbles. When I put the DAP with it's leather case in my pocket, it causes more bubbles.

I had to request new ones as the ones in the box were dried up. Musictek sent out 4 new ones for me.

The way I found to install them correctly without bubbles was to peel of all the backing so it was just the TPU exposed and then spray the TPU with some water before installing it on the screen. I then used the squeegee applicator to apply the TPU on the screen which also pushed out the water spray.

This way allowed me to move around and position the protective TPU on the screen correctly and removed the bubbles.

Mar 8, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #2,325 of 5,808
I had to request new ones as the ones in the box were dried up. Musictek sent out 4 new ones for me.

The way I found to install them correctly without bubbles was to peel of all the backing so it was just the TPU exposed and then spray the TPU with some water before installing it on the screen. I then used the squeegee applicator to apply the TPU on the screen which also pushed out the water spray.

This way allowed me to move around and position the protective TPU on the screen correctly and removed the bubbles.
Thank you, I will try. I will ask andrew to send me some more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back