Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Feb 27, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #2,251 of 5,808
<removed>

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #2,252 of 5,808
About to listen to the 3DT through my Leo II and M8.

49F55782-9BDE-4DD4-A451-EAB04F06571A.JPEG
NOW we're talking!!!

um.jpg

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #2,253 of 5,808
I listened to AG briefly on the M8. What are you trying to find out?
Thx for coming back to me.
I would just like to know if the Andro Gold running balanced with its very low 7 Ohm impedance will lose body and bass on the M8 just as I experienced with A&K SR25.
That's e.g. not the case with either DX220 max or DX300 which are both well below 1 ohm.

Anyway I might opt for mostly listening on my currently being delivered Paw S1 with it if it turns out to be a good match.

Feb 27, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #2,254 of 5,808
@Shanling

I received my new M8 yesterday from Musictek. Thank you for producing such an amazing DAP. Having come from a iBasso DX300 I can say this DAP is far superior in build and sound quality. Very happy customer.

The only problem I have is both of the screen protectors included in the box were so dried out that they were unusable. The paper backing was all stuck to the TPU so could not be applied to the DAP.

Please could you get in touch with me so I can arrange replacements with you as I currently have nothing on the DAP and I would like to preserve the DAP for many years to come.

Thanks

Feb 27, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #2,255 of 5,808
After a couple months with this player trying to get a sense of how it works its magic on the low end I've realized a couple things. First is that the inky black background the M8 provides is of immeasurable value when it comes to perception of detail and nuance-- less becomes so much more. The second is regarding the low end specifically. The M8 often gets touted for its emphasized low end and it has been suggested that it might not work for more bass heavy IEMs due to an increase in bass quantity. I think what the M8 does is not so much an increase in quantity bit in solidity and weight. The FR of your IEM/Headphone is presented as it should be but the bass just manages to grab your attention with its texture, authority and grip while not really getting in the way of anything else. I am very much looking forward to trying a few bassier IEMs like the Vega and the Nio on the M8 to see how they sound. My audio experience beyond IEMs is very limited but the M8 is the first player I've tried that has really excelled in this particular area. From an audio engineering perspective the M8 imho has set the bar so high it may be some time before anything else comes close in the portable market.

BE9D4522-D957-453D-9885-A3F22871A9A9.JPEG

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #2,256 of 5,808
After a couple months with this player trying to get a sense of how it works its magic on the low end I've realized a couple things. First is that the inky black background hat the M8 provides is of immeasurable value when it comes to perception of detail and nuance-- less become so much more. The second is regarding the low end specifically. The M8 often gets touted for its emphasized low end and it has been suggested that it might not work for more bass heavy IEMs due to an increase in bass quantity. I think what the M8 does is not so much an increase in quantity bit in solidity and weight. The FR is balanced as it should be but the bass just manages to grab your attention with its solidity and grip while not really getting in the way of anything else. My audio experience beyond IEMs is very limited but the M8 is the first player I've tried that's really excelled in this particular area. From an audio engineering perspective the M8 imho has set the bar so high it may be some time before anything else comes close in the portable market.

I think richness and fullness are mistaken for bass tilted or warm, at times. I want to only say that I love the pairing with the Legend X, Valkyrie MKII and the FIBAE 6 and I think all three of these have exceptional bass in quality and quantity. The M8 delivers without adding coloration but accentuating what the IEM is designed to deliver. Tonality is one word that can describe what the M8 showcases. I love this player as a backup to my SP2000, and if I didn't have the AK I could be perfectly happy with the M8 as my only DAP.

20210227_110959.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2021 at 11:06 AM Post #2,257 of 5,808
After a couple months with this player trying to get a sense of how it works its magic on the low end I've realized a couple things. First is that the inky black background hat the M8 provides is of immeasurable value when it comes to perception of detail and nuance-- less become so much more. The second is regarding the low end specifically. The M8 often gets touted for its emphasized low end and it has been suggested that it might not work for more bass heavy IEMs due to an increase in bass quantity. I think what the M8 does is not so much an increase in quantity bit in solidity and weight. The FR is balanced as it should be but the bass just manages to grab your attention with its solidity and grip while not really getting in the way of anything else. I am very much looking forward to trying a few bassier IEMs like the Vega and the Nio on the M8 to see how they sound. My audio experience beyond IEMs is very limited but the M8 is the first player I've tried that's really excelled in this particular area. From an audio engineering perspective the M8 imho has set the bar so high it may be some time before anything else comes close in the portable market.

BE9D4522-D957-453D-9885-A3F22871A9A9.JPEG
I agreed with everything you said. It isn’t the emphasis of the bass, it just has the body density and the sub-bass together with the ambient warmth , it may appear that way. It is a really good DAP for sure

If you want to know an emphasis of bass, the dx300 has it :wink:

Feb 27, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #2,258 of 5,808
Hey guys, I've been having so much fun with DSD 256 on my WM1A, I wanted to ask the M8 owners about DSD 512, has anyone used onkyo app to upsample to DSD?

Feb 28, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #2,259 of 5,808
Yesterday I have received the DX300 and the M8. I started the burnin as soon as possible and they now have some company :) I will hear how good they are in comparison to all my other portable players + hugo 2.

My first impressions were:

DX300 - holy ... this is huge; the screen is amazing, the ui snappy fast, and the operating speed while scanning my media is the best I have ever seen in an android device. So the installation of additional apps and media was quite fast in total and the burn in started about 15 minutes after i opened it.

M8 - oh my god, the installation of third party apps and the media scan is soooooo slow. it took about 4times as long as with the ibasso. So it took me about 70min before i could play my music. Besides that the only thing that popped out was the included heating^^. it gets painfull hot. This DAP is burning in my hands. Never experienced such level before.

It is still too early to judge the sound in total. But first thoughts were (coming from the Sony WM1Z as comparison) that the iBasso sounded much cleaner and a bit "shy" with good dynamics. (again coming from the Sony) Shanling is the first device that sounds really bad (to my ears) out of the box. I could not believe it. It reminded me somehow of the FiiO X5 III I have here. What a disappointment... at least out of the box.

Here is a pic of the transportable competition (if my time allows it, I will also compare the DACs with my Phonitor 2):

EDIT: the ibasso is a fingerprint magnet^^
You might have a faulty unit in the M8, according to the YouTube reviews I've seen, nobody has mentioned heat being an issue.

Feb 28, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #2,261 of 5,808
It must be... Is not just the heat, is saying that reminds the Fiio X5III....IMO it beats the M15
Only have owned 3DAPs the M8 out of those 3 gets the hottest. Never enough to burn my body. On cold winter nights when I take her to bed the warmth is kind of nice. She sounds that way to me also, the warmest. M8, P6K, P6P.

Feb 28, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #2,263 of 5,808
@Shanling I finally got the M8 but looks like it doesn't play DSD512 over usb. It does play up do DSD256. In your product page it says "with the advanced XMOS USB interface, M8 can serve as a true Hi-Fi USB DAC, supporting Hi-Res playback all the way up to 32bit/ 768 kHz and native DSD512" but in the FAQ document (which exist only inside the DAP) you have "6. Does M8 support digital output? Yes, M8 supports digital output. Digital signal can be outputted through USB port. Supports PCM up to 32bit/384kHz, DSD up to DSD256 in native, DOP or D2P form."
This is a blatant false advertisement. Will you ever support DSD512 over usb?

Feb 28, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #2,264 of 5,808
@Shanling I finally got the M8 but looks like it doesn't play DSD512 over usb. It does play up do DSD256. In your product page it says "with the advanced XMOS USB interface, M8 can serve as a true Hi-Fi USB DAC, supporting Hi-Res playback all the way up to 32bit/ 768 kHz and native DSD512" but in the FAQ document (which exist only inside the DAP) you have "6. Does M8 support digital output? Yes, M8 supports digital output. Digital signal can be outputted through USB port. Supports PCM up to 32bit/384kHz, DSD up to DSD256 in native, DOP or D2P form."
This is a blatant false advertisement. Will you ever support DSD512 over usb?
No, the former is about USB DAC using M8 as the DAC when connected to a PC. The latter is when you connect M8 to an external DAC. Which way are you trying to do 512?

Feb 28, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #2,265 of 5,808
No, the former is about USB DAC using M8 as the DAC when connected to a PC. The latter is when you connect M8 to an external DAC. Which way are you trying to do 512?
I am trying the former. I am using the M8 as a usb DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back