Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Jan 20, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #1,262 of 5,808
Yes, but in my case it starts with android home screen and I can run every app like in android mode untill I start Shanling App. Then I can use only this app. It looks like a bug.
Me too

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:12 AM Post #1,263 of 5,808
Yes, but in my case it starts with android home screen and I can run every app like in android mode untill I start Shanling App. Then I can use only this app. It looks like a bug.

This was my experience too. I like the UI of Shanling player but I find the battery life (and the lag etc.) to be not as good so I've migrated away from it for the time being.

Also, I love this wallpaper:

IMG_2879.JPG

Jan 20, 2021 at 9:25 AM Post #1,264 of 5,808
This was my experience too. I like the UI of Shanling player but I find the battery life (and the lag etc.) to be not as good so I've migrated away from it for the time being.

IMG_2879.JPG

Neet I think I'll do the same hehe

Jan 20, 2021 at 10:23 AM Post #1,265 of 5,808

IMG_2879.JPG
Wow, where did you find it?!?
in SE battery life is good, in balanced drain like a rugbist beer on friday evening in a pub :D

Jan 20, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #1,266 of 5,808
Wow, where did you find it?!?
in SE battery life is good, in balanced drain like a rugbist beer on friday evening in a pub :D

It comes stock with the player. For me decent battery life on a player like this (through bal and the highest gain setting) is ~10+ hours and I seem to be getting close to that now.

Jan 20, 2021 at 11:35 AM Post #1,268 of 5,808
It comes stock with the player. For me decent battery life on a player like this (through bal and the highest gain setting) is ~10+ hours and I seem to be getting close to that now.
So it seems as you mentioned that the Hiby app is more efficient with battery? I am curious if you are noticing your unit get as warm say if you were using the Shanling app or maybe Neutron instead as others have tried.

Jan 20, 2021 at 11:40 AM Post #1,269 of 5,808
So it seems as you mentioned that the Hiby app is more efficient with battery? I am curious if you are noticing your unit get as warm say if you were using the Shanling app or maybe Neutron instead as others have tried.

Or he can try the free app called ampere it shows how much Ma is drained while using different apps!

@Rockwell75

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:03 PM Post #1,270 of 5,808

It seems to be yes. It's a lot more efficient-- takes less time to scan libraries, load up, skip tracks and doesn't seem to tax the CPU to the limit performing simple tasks like scrolling through playlists etc. like the Shanling app does.

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #1,271 of 5,808
It seems to be yes. It's a lot more efficient-- takes less time to scan libraries, load up, skip tracks and doesn't seem to tax the CPU to the limit performing simple tasks like scrolling through playlists etc. like the Shanling app does.
Ok then, looks like I will be trying new app when I get home tonight. My only question is how Hiby app handles DSD files and if we are limited to only the Shanling app to play native DSD. Does the Hiby app only output DSD to PCM ?

Jan 20, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #1,272 of 5,808
Ok then, looks like I will be trying new app when I get home tonight. My only question is how Hiby app handles DSD files and if we are limited to only the Shanling app to play native DSD. Does the Hiby app only output DSD to PCM ?

That is what shanling said, only dsd native via shanling app all other will be pcm

Jan 20, 2021 at 3:33 PM Post #1,274 of 5,808

If only companies would understand that, at any price points, it makes a world of difference for the customer…

What sold me on the M8 is what I read about the sound BUT I'm honestly afraid to be disappointed by the Shanling app although it seems to be the best music-centric Android app — not to mention the prime mode.

Cayin/Hiby's (the former being a redesign of the latter) are a no-go for me as they have typos here and there which drives me insane. And the detailed bitrate with the kbps is just over the top — it should ideally be an option. I know it's also on the @Shanling app but that's the concession I'm making :p

As long as the Cayin, Hiby and Shanling don't get the above, people like me tend to go to Astell & Kern.

The funny thing is that these are quick fixes and wins.

🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #1,275 of 5,808
If only companies would understand that, at any price points, it makes a world of difference for the customer…

What sold me on the M8 is what I read about the sound BUT I'm honestly afraid to be disappointed by the Shanling app although it seems to be the best music-centric Android app — not to mention the prime mode.

Cayin/Hiby's (the former being a redesign of the latter) are a no-go for me as they have typos here and there which drives me insane. And the detailed bitrate with the kbps is just over the top — it should ideally be an option. I know it's also on the @Shanling app but that's the concession I'm making :p

As long as the Cayin, Hiby and Shanling don't get the above, people like me tend to go to Astell & Kern.

The funny thing is that these are quick fixes and wins.

🤷🏼‍♂️
I got off the A&Krap cool-aid....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back