Shanling M8 Android Portable player
Jan 19, 2021 at 2:38 AM Post #1,232 of 5,817
1 vocals, best ever #$@@&
I am now hard at work on my review of the M8 and using the Vision Ears VE5, which have some best vocals to begin with, and with the M8 they really shine.

Tried Neutron btw, but it caused a lot of hiss for some reason. The M8 itself is clean even with the Campfire Audio Ara, but with Neutron it is just awful. Anyone any idea what is going on?

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #1,233 of 5,817
So I've been having a lot of difficulty with the speed and lag of this player-- scanning files, navigating, switching tracks etc. I just successfully installed the Google Play store and installed the Fiio music app and all my difficulties disappeared and the player was as smooth, snappy and quick as I was initially expecting. I think there is an issue with the way the Shanling app indexes files that causes it to bog down or otherwise not act optimally.

Does anyone have any recs for a good non-Shanling app? Do you lose anything SQ wise by not using the Shanling app?

This is not really encouraging—I’m considering a new flagship DAP and the M8 seems to be the only option for me in terms of timbre/signature.

In between this and the patching to get rid of annoying notifications—by when do you guys believe the M8 will become the mature player it should be for the asking price?

@Shanling

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #1,234 of 5,817
This is not really encouraging—I’m considering a new flagship DAP and the M8 seems to be the only option for me in terms of timbre/signature.

In between this and the patching to get rid of annoying notifications—by when do you guys believe the M8 will become the mature player it should be for the asking price?

@Shanling

There is new firmware coming that will get rid of the need to register/patch the device. Running in final beta now.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jan 19, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #1,236 of 5,817
I am now hard at work on my review of the M8 and using the Vision Ears VE5, which have some best vocals to begin with, and with the M8 they really shine.

Tried Neutron btw, but it caused a lot of hiss for some reason. The M8 itself is clean even with the Campfire Audio Ara, but with Neutron it is just awful. Anyone any idea what is going on?
Probably wrong version installed ?

Jan 19, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #1,238 of 5,817

@Shanling

I downloaded the Hiby app and it's my favorite and I'm going to stick with it. Honestly unless you need something super compact or more than 10 hours battery life you simply can't go wrong with the M8...it's an amazing device.

Jan 19, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #1,239 of 5,817
That would be a problem. The best way to use it in the pocket is to avoid “turbo mode, Wifi, Bluetooth” and any files higher than 24/192Khz
ehhh.... I respectfully disagree. Just put it in your pocket and enjoy.... we're only talking the difference of a few degrees....right? 5 degrees may be a big deal to you in your pocket, but it is nothing to silicone and metal.

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #1,240 of 5,817
I've been using the Hiby app on the M8 for the last 12 hours or so and I've noticed an improvement in battery life to the order of what looks to be an extra 1-2 hours/charge. Using the Hiby player my M8 seems to getting the same amount of battery life that my n6ii did with essentially the same app (~10-11 hours per charge in turbo gain bal). I suspect the Shanling player's inefficient handling/indexing files takes a toll on the battery life. Anyway totally hooked on this player.

Jan 19, 2021 at 11:32 AM Post #1,241 of 5,817
Are there different versions? In the Google Play store I only saw two versions, eval and full, I installed the full version.
Yes, there are multiple versions, do you know the one you are using ? Also try to default setting as much as you can. Neutron is sometimes very complicated and while I like it, it is better to be on something that was built for it Natively including Dx220. I don’t see Shanling M8 listed :/. I have since then been sticking with Shanling App

Jan 19, 2021 at 1:22 PM Post #1,242 of 5,817
Yes, there are multiple versions, do you know the one you are using ? Also try to default setting as much as you can. Neutron is sometimes very complicated and while I like it, it is better to be on something that was built for it Natively including Dx220. I don’t see Shanling M8 listed :/. I have since then been sticking with Shanling App
Thanks! No idea which version it is and couldn’t find it in any of the menus. I know the M6/M6 Pro are supported, but not yet the M8, so I will stick with the Shanling Music app for now. It was mainly because I really wanted gapless playback, so I thought that was a good excuse to check out Neutron. Might check a few free apps as well.

Jan 19, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #1,243 of 5,817
Thanks! No idea which version it is and couldn’t find it in any of the menus. I know the M6/M6 Pro are supported, but not yet the M8, so I will stick with the Shanling Music app for now. It was mainly because I really wanted gapless playback, so I thought that was a good excuse to check out Neutron. Might check a few free apps as well.

Just get google registration and install the latest app from google and not apk app.... And you will have latest version

Jan 19, 2021 at 4:02 PM Post #1,244 of 5,817
Just get google registration and install the latest app from google and not apk app.... And you will have latest version
Thanks! Yes, I have the latest version directly from the Google store. That is the one causing the issues.

Jan 19, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #1,245 of 5,817
Thanks! Yes, I have the latest version directly from the Google store. That is the one causing the issues.

The other way around is go on your desktop browser or on m8 find an apk of that app in older or previous version and install it. See if that helps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back