Shanling M6 Player - New version with ESS DACs coming soon
Sep 2, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #46 of 1,456
1) Single Micro SD card slot, compatible up to standard 2TB.
2-5) Will be posted in full specification later.
6) 4 filters as designed by AKM. Can be changed in system setting, not tied to Shanling app.
7) 1208 x 720
8) Shanling app has build in EQ. As we are now on Android, you are free to install any additional EQ app.
9) USB-C, USB DAC and USB output will be added little bit later with firmware update.
10) No SPDIF.
11-12) Not final version of app yet. And as sad above, you can install any app you wish.

Any plan for full MQA support?

Sep 2, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #47 of 1,456
Spec of the analog stages?

Should have more specification in two days.

Does it come with play store? Or can the play store installed in it?

Our software team is promising it will have google play store by time we ship to international market.

On a serious note, this dap does not have much power. It will drive iems and portable headphones but not much more.

With our players, we prefer to have really quiet background for sensitive IEMs, than to chase raw power for few users trying to pair their high demanding home headphones with portable player. We base this on our 5 years of experience making portable players and seeing what our customers are using.

Any plan for full MQA support?

Not at current time.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 2, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #48 of 1,456
I don' t think so! From the specs octa core cpu bla bla bla ... I guest it would be somewhere "TOTL" or "flagship" Shanling DAP with "resonable price arround 600+ usd". Shanling needs some productlines that compete against Fiio M11 pro or Hiby R6, iBaso 200 ...
Cpu has nothing to do with class of the device and everything to do with whether a manufacturer is willing to pay an extra couple of dollars to not use a trash tier rockchip soc.
After that it's really dependent on what's available in China at that current time of production. From following the Chinese tablet and laptop scene, sometimes you get good Intel chips available, sometimes you don't. Here, they've got a snapdragon 430. That doesn't signal totl dap. Be realistic. It's barely a step up from a 425. It costs very little extra. There are flagship snapdragons in very very low cost devices. It's just the dap market has never put any emphasis on cpu performance of the product, so why spend when audiophiles don't know much about cpus and don't care. If a person says "this device has more sparkly treble than that device" that's more important than a cpu, so why would a manufacturer lose money on cpu when audiophiles never seem to care.

Hiby uses the same snapdragon in the r5 as they do the r6 pro.
This is just what the minimum level of performance should have been from the start. Fluid and amazing.
The fact that audiophiles didn't always demand that is sad to me, but I'm happy its been remedied.

Also, I've not seen people be able to blind test, tell two dacs apart, so most of these insanely abstract terms to describe dac "performance" is just made up junk to sell the new equivalent of magazines, online blogs.

Sep 2, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #50 of 1,456
425 vs. 430
upload_2019-9-3_8-23-22.png

Sep 3, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #51 of 1,456
425 vs. 430

To add some context to this graphic:
More isn't always better for a music player.
Since we're on the 28nm process, and don't have a lot of the low power efficiency that we've seen in the newer nodes, sometimes you may want the 425. Especially when talking 28nm, the battery life gains you get from reducing cores you weren't using anyway when apps aren't coded to take advantage of 8 cores can be helpful.

I generally like the hexacore design as the best trade off between performance and battery life. This is what Apple does in their current smartphones but I don't wanna get on to an off topic rant on how much I love the SoC design(im an android user, I don't own any apple products other than old Nanos for transports for the car. So it's an soc thing not at apple thing).

As long as you don't lose too much battery life going with the 430, then it's cool. As we know the 425 already does well for a music player, as long as the 430 isn't a significant impact on battery life its not a big deal. If you're using it as primarily a music player, I wouldn't factor it into my decision beyond looking at battery life. It's a nice to have along with the 4gb of ram. Given that and other specs, it's justified that it sits at a $100 premium over the competitors recently released. Unlike the Ibasso 160 which drives me crazy pricing in this bracket and delivering a horrendous cpu. $70 more gets you all of these specs... .It's a no brainer to me.

The next jump soc wise is when they can get any remotely newer node(smaller than 28nm, which is very old for cellphones sized devices). But right now, it feels like we've escaped the horror age of laggy meh daps. After the hiby r6 I knew things would only get better.

Within the next 2-3 years, interface won't be something we worry about anymore. It'll finally just work effortlessly on all devices. For now, we should really not reward other manufacturers for giving us slow terrible specs to power our expensive daps.

Os wide bit perfect android with decent snapdragon processor will soon be the minimum people accept. I can't wait.

Sep 3, 2019 at 7:11 AM Post #53 of 1,456
Relative noob here,Shanling mentioned that the dual DACs also work in single ended mode as well. Isn't that the case with other dual DAC devices like the Fiio M11 or the newly released Hiby R5?Or do they only use one of their DACs in single ended mode?

Sep 3, 2019 at 2:05 PM Post #54 of 1,456
Last edited:
Sep 3, 2019 at 9:22 PM Post #55 of 1,456
Very interested!! I am excited for the processor and android OS. I am curious why 4995 vs the upgraded 4993? It would have been nice to get rid of the huge borders on the screen. I have owned a few Shanling devices and this is one of my pet peeves.

We used AK4495S in few desktop/2channel projects and we were very happy with its sound quality, so we decided to use it in our M6, even though it's not the most popular and hyped DAC.

Relative noob here,Shanling mentioned that the dual DACs also work in single ended mode as well. Isn't that the case with other dual DAC devices like the Fiio M11 or the newly released Hiby R5?Or do they only use one of their DACs in single ended mode?

Some players do, others don't. Depends on their design.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Sep 4, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #57 of 1,456
We used AK4495S in few desktop/2channel projects and we were very happy with its sound quality, so we decided to use it in our M6, even though it's not the most popular and hyped DAC.

Some players do, others don't. Depends on their design.
Also which version of android is it running and does this support google play store?

Sep 6, 2019 at 1:36 PM Post #58 of 1,456
Sounds and looks amazing! What version of Android is it running? As for me that's often the only issue issue with android players, they tend to use much older v4 or v5s. If this has 8 or 9 then I'm on board!!

Sep 8, 2019 at 6:57 AM Post #59 of 1,456
Heard the M6 today at the Guangzhou Headphone Show . Beautiful styled curves and felt really good in the hand . Most importantly SQ was exceptional and well above it’s price bracket. Reference Signature . Response speed and start up was good versus other DAPs previously mentioned but not lightning fast . The anticipation is worth it :)

Sep 8, 2019 at 7:13 AM Post #60 of 1,456
Heard the M6 today at the Guangzhou Headphone Show . Beautiful styled curves and felt really good in the hand . Most importantly SQ was exceptional and well above it’s price bracket. Reference Signature . Response speed and start up was good versus other DAPs previously mentioned but not lightning fast . The anticipation is worth it :)

Way better than M5s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back