Shanling M6 Player - New version with ESS DACs coming soon
Sep 12, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #79 of 1,456
Should have more specification in two days.

Our software team is promising it will have google play store by time we ship to international market.

With our players, we prefer to have really quiet background for sensitive IEMs, than to chase raw power for few users trying to pair their high demanding home headphones with portable player. We base this on our 5 years of experience making portable players and seeing what our customers are using.

Thank you for taking a sensible approach as someone who buys headphones geared to the application for said headphones. I have no use for DAP's with crazy amounts of power but terrible battery life.

Not at current time.

Sep 12, 2019 at 3:05 PM Post #80 of 1,456
We used AK4495S in few desktop/2channel projects and we were very happy with its sound quality, so we decided to use it in our M6, even though it's not the most popular and hyped DAC.

This makes total sense from a manufacturing point of view. When you can use the same components in multiple devices you can buy in larger quantities at a better price.

Some players do, others don't. Depends on their design.

Sep 12, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #81 of 1,456
The price has me wondering as I was recently looking at the M5S,

It currently sells for $429 on amazon and you are pricing this at $499. It is unusual for a manufacturer to price two DAP's so close together. Especially when one offers so much more than the other, is the M6 meant to replace the M5S? If not it most likely will, I can't imagine to many people choosing the M5S over the M6 unless the M5S gets a big price drop. Are you planning to keep selling the M5S after the M6 release?

If there are some good deals coming for the M5S it could become a contender for me over the M2X. As great as the M6 looks it really has features I don't need and would rather not pay for.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2019 at 10:26 PM Post #83 of 1,456
No curved screen please!

Sep 13, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #86 of 1,456
Single-ended output parameters:

Output power: 160mW@ 32Ω; Signal-to-noise ratio: 118dB; Channel separation: 75dB@ 32Ω; Dynamic range: 118dB; Distortion: 0.01%; Output impedance: <1Ω;

Balanced output parameters:

Output power : 350mW@ 32Ω; Signal to noise ratio: 119dB; Channel separation: 109dB@ 32Ω; Dynamic range: 119dB; Distortion: 0.01%; Output impedance: <2Ω

单端输出参数:
输出功率:160mW@ 32Ω;
信噪比:118dB;
声道分离度:75dB@ 32Ω;
动态范围:118dB;
失真度:0.01%;
输出阻抗:<1Ω;

平衡输出参数:
输出功率:350mW@ 32Ω;
信噪比:119dB;
声道分离度:109dB@ 32Ω;
动态范围:119dB;
失真度:0.01%;
输出阻抗:<2Ω

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #87 of 1,456
Single-ended output parameters:

Output power: 160mW@ 32Ω; Signal-to-noise ratio: 118dB; Channel separation: 75dB@ 32Ω; Dynamic range: 118dB; Distortion: 0.01%; Output impedance: <1Ω;

Balanced output parameters:

Output power : 350mW@ 32Ω; Signal to noise ratio: 119dB; Channel separation: 109dB@ 32Ω; Dynamic range: 119dB; Distortion: 0.01%; Output impedance: <2Ω
Marginally better than M11 and a long way short of DX160. Even R5 looks a better bet balanced (but not single-ended) although it is smaller and has a lower res screen.

Battery life is crap like all the competition. R5 is decent in single-ended mode but that channel separation is no better than an M0. I'm really not happy paying hundreds for these devices when the battery life is likely to be so short in a few years time. I regard 15 hours as the bare minimum and even then I'm only gonna shell out for an M0 at that level. I expect more from these EXPENSIVE devices. Sony and Cowon have shown that it can be done but even they are now putting out devices with limited lifespans.

If this does get Android 9, perhaps it will make a better tablet but as a music player I'm not feeling it from these specs. Still, the proof as always will be in the hearing.

Sep 13, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #88 of 1,456
Marginally better than M11 and a long way short of DX160. Even R5 looks a better bet balanced (but not single-ended) although it is smaller and has a lower res screen.

Battery life is crap like all the competition. R5 is decent in single-ended mode but that channel separation is no better than an M0. I'm really not happy paying hundreds for these devices when the battery life is likely to be so short in a few years time. I regard 15 hours as the bare minimum and even then I'm only gonna shell out for an M0 at that level. I expect more from these EXPENSIVE devices. Sony and Cowon have shown that it can be done but even they are now putting out devices with limited lifespans.

If this does get Android 9, perhaps it will make a better tablet but as a music player I'm not feeling it from these specs. Still, the proof as always will be in the hearing.
True. It’s crazy how extended battery life makes a unit so much more useful.

Sep 13, 2019 at 9:49 AM Post #89 of 1,456

Sony uses class D amp. And it sounds like that...

Sep 13, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #90 of 1,456

My feelings exactly, I refuse to spend alot of money on battery powered devices now that batteries can't be replaced. I have never spent more than $300 on a DAP and really don't want Android. But the options are dwindling and the prices seem to be going up. Now that Sony has bought into the Android craze and the A105 is much more expensive than the A55 with the same power, much poorer battery life and Sony took away some features like USB DAC mode and bluetooth receiver mode. Basically you have the Shanling M2X or the M5S if you don't want Android but even without it their battery life isn't great. I would love to upgrade my Fiio M7 as there are still issues to fix but other options aren't very promising. Despite having Android battery life is still above average and power is sufficient for my headphones. I suspect there won't be anymore M7 iterations from Fiio and everything going forward will be M6/M9/M11.

I have to wonder with the M6 if Shanling will abandon Linux altogether and use Android on all their future DAP's. Sticking with Linux on some of their DAP's could be a way to distinguish them from other manufacturers. I would still consider the M2X if it ever comes to Canada.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back