Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Feb 2, 2019 at 2:57 PM Post #1,771 of 2,497
Got my M5S a couple days ago, just going through my library to gauge the signature. I am liking what I am hearing so far. Wonderful pairing with CA Lyra v1.
upload_2019-2-2_14-57-8.png

Feb 2, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #1,773 of 2,497
There definitely is a discernible difference between single ended and balance with the Meze 99 Classics. With these headphones, sound from single-ended is more muddled, and the lack of clarity is evident. Balanced really is the way to go with this player from my experience.

Feb 2, 2019 at 5:49 PM Post #1,775 of 2,497
There definitely is a discernible difference between single ended and balance with the Meze 99 Classics. With these headphones, sound from single-ended is more muddled, and the lack of clarity is evident. Balanced really is the way to go with this player from my experience.

More power demanding headphones will have much more benefit from the balanced out. I am using my Solaris earphones which is as sensitive as it gets and it sounds amazing out of single ended. Nothing muddled on my end. But even better in balanced.

Feb 2, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #1,777 of 2,497
Those who have the M5s how many tracks you have and if it's big is the M5s laggy?
I've got 14,018 tracks all ALAC or Flac, 362GB and it's lightning fast, no lag.
Honestly, it's the best UI ive had the pleasure to play with.

I wrote this in a PM to another user in response to their questions about my impressions of the device so I'll just make it public here:

I use the M5s both in the car and with IEMs. In the car, the Shanling sounds great. At first I was disappointed with it because it was being directly compared to my Ak120. But after several hours of burn-in the sound softened up and with a bit of fiddling with the EQ found a combination of settings that really sound great for the most part. I have one custom EQ for iems and one for the car.
My IEMs are Shure se535s and they are not known for the bass response but generally speaking they sound pretty good with the M5s. Again it took a lot of fiddling with the eq to find a sound profile that was pleasing to me. The mids and highs are really phenomenal on this thing. Clear crisp, detailed and layered. The lows are the weakness. I can get bass out of it with Eq but that's where I find it's biggest flaw. On several tracks (not all tracks) I noticed that if I had the lower frequencies set above 1db the sound would decay, distort and degrade. I wrote to Shanling in this forum and they acknowledged they were aware and by their own admission the eq is not well implemented. I was assured they are working on it and I believe them. Overall I'm pleased with the device. Its by far the best interface I've used. It's clean fast responsive and so easy to navigate around a large library. On 80% of the stuff I listen to I'm happy. The hardware is beautiful and If they address the eq I'd give it a 4.8.if they don't it gets a 3. I think they're committed to this one. I don't think they can afford a fail... A lot of people watching the development of their new "flagship". The potential is there. The components are fantastic. The engineering is amazing... The EQ leaves much to be desired

Feb 2, 2019 at 6:39 PM Post #1,778 of 2,497
I've got 14,018 tracks all ALAC or Flac, 362GB and it's lightning fast, no lag.
Honestly, it's the best UI ive had the pleasure to play with.

I wrote this in a PM to another user in response to their questions about my impressions of the device so I'll just make it public here:

I use the M5s both in the car and with IEMs. In the car, the Shanling sounds great. At first I was disappointed with it because it was being directly compared to my Ak120. But after several hours of burn-in the sound softened up and with a bit of fiddling with the EQ found a combination of settings that really sound great for the most part. I have one custom EQ for iems and one for the car.
My IEMs are Shure se535s and they are not known for the bass response but generally speaking they sound pretty good with the M5s. Again it took a lot of fiddling with the eq to find a sound profile that was pleasing to me. The mids and highs are really phenomenal on this thing. Clear crisp, detailed and layered. The lows are the weakness. I can get bass out of it with Eq but that's where I find it's biggest flaw. On several tracks (not all tracks) I noticed that if I had the lower frequencies set above 1db the sound would decay, distort and degrade. I wrote to Shanling in this forum and they acknowledged they were aware and by their own admission the eq is not well implemented. I was assured they are working on it and I believe them. Overall I'm pleased with the device. Its by far the best interface I've used. It's clean fast responsive and so easy to navigate around a large library. On 80% of the stuff I listen to I'm happy. The hardware is beautiful and If they address the eq I'd give it a 4.8.if they don't it gets a 3. I think they're committed to this one. I don't think they can afford a fail... A lot of people watching the development of their new "flagship". The potential is there. The components are fantastic. The engineering is amazing... The EQ leaves much to be desired
Thanks for insight. One more thing. Is the Artist play all songs fixed?

Feb 2, 2019 at 6:44 PM Post #1,779 of 2,497
Thanks for insight. One more thing. Is the Artist play all songs fixed?

I dont know what that means or at least I dont know what you mean by is Artist Play FIxed?
For my burn in I just put it on all song play with Shuffle "On"

Feb 2, 2019 at 8:10 PM Post #1,781 of 2,497
I mean. Say I go to an artist and the artist have like 5 albums and I want to play all songs or shuffle of that artist
Just tried. Cant do it. I pulled an artist with 7 albums, Got the Album list and could play any of the albums not "Play All" from within the artist category. Could be a feature request for future firmware for @Shanling

Feb 3, 2019 at 10:25 AM Post #1,784 of 2,497
X5iii and N5ii. Loved the sound from both.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back