Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Jan 26, 2019 at 3:13 PM Post #1,741 of 2,497
The sound is lush, full of body and the vocals themselves sound splendid with the Classics coupled with the balanced cable and M5s. What a beautiful combination. These are my very first impressions with them, though, so we'll see if the sonical characteristics change after burn in. Right now, however, the combination is pretty amazing as is. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 3:26 PM Post #1,742 of 2,497
If you feel comfortable with the 99 in general, you will get "a dark new look" of the headphones. Try them, build your opinion. I will never say :"dont get the 99s". They may fit you and your listening purposes (not boring presentation) well. Im happy to hear new experiences about the Meze headphones. Its a company you can speak to and get an answer quickly. They provide a great caring support to the customer. I dont like the 99s but i enjoy using their awseome slim 2.5 TRRS balnaced headphone cable.

Jan 26, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #1,743 of 2,497
If you feel comfortable with the 99 in general, you will get "a dark new look" of the headphones. Try them, build your opinion. I will never say :"dont get the 99s". They may fit you and your listening purposes (not boring presentation) well. Im happy to hear new experiences about the Meze headphones. Its a company you can speak to and get an answer quickly. They provide a great caring support to the customer. I dont like the 99s but i enjoy using their awseome slim 2.5 TRRS balnaced headphone cable.

I'm not sure myself since I don't have the Neos, but most here who tried both prefer the Classics, with the impressions being that it is generally a more refined and smoother version. I was about to get the Neos myself since it's cheaper, but I decided to get the Classics instead because I know I ultimately couldn't stand that there's a more refined and better sounding version out there. This is just me, though. I know that we all have different priorities in selecting headphones and I respect that.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2019 at 3:54 PM Post #1,745 of 2,497
Your ears decide whats going on and im happy to read if your ears made a good decission :thumbsup:

Thanks! I was initially scared that the bass will be too emphasized to my liking, but it isn't to my ears. Maybe its balanced nature tames the bass a little bit, maybe? But yeah, I really like what I'm hearing. And those vocals, man. So upfront and sweet.

Jan 29, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #1,750 of 2,497
Finally I received the brown leather case today. Only took a month to arrive. :-O

Overall very happy with it. At first when I saw the pictures I want sure about the wedge design by the volume dial. It reality it actually works very well.

The colour also looks great with the Titanium of the M5s. The quality is pretty good on most of the case...

There are clearly visible machining marks on the bottom of the case (see picture). Pretty disappointed about that. Looks really bad/cheap but I'll try to get over it :wink:

IMG_3602.jpg IMG_3603.jpg IMG_3604.jpg IMG_3605.jpg IMG_3606.jpg

@Shanling is this normal for your cases or is it a manufacturing defect? I purchased from PAPRI Audio Store on AliExpress. I understand they are an official dealer?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #1,752 of 2,497
I would send the seller an email about that. Looks a bit like a factory second. (But if you have waited a month to get it, i would think twice about returning it...)

I've just emailed them.

I'm haunted by the thought of having to send it back then another month wait... :triportsad: I'll probably have a different DAP by the time a replacement arrives!!!

Jan 29, 2019 at 1:12 PM Post #1,753 of 2,497
I've just emailed them.

I'm haunted by the thought of having to send it back then another month wait... :triportsad: I'll probably have a different DAP by the time a replacement arrives!!!
Did you buy it from a UK retailer or from abroad?

Given the outrageous prices of these leather cases, I would personally be very annoyed to receive second quality goods like that.

Jan 29, 2019 at 1:15 PM Post #1,754 of 2,497
Did you buy it from a UK retailer or from abroad?

Given the outrageous prices of these leather cases, I would personally be very annoyed to receive second quality goods like that.

It was PAPRI Audio Store on AliExpress.

They are apparently an official Shanling retailer...

First time I’ve ordered from AliExpress... pretty disappointed!

Jan 29, 2019 at 5:29 PM Post #1,755 of 2,497
@Shanling is this normal for your cases or is it a manufacturing defect? I purchased from PAPRI Audio Store on AliExpress. I understand they are an official dealer?

That's a Bummer. I got the Titanium with a black case and both are flawless. I suspect received a rare defect. I'd go back to the seller with a legitimate complaint and ask for a replacement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back