Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Feb 5, 2019 at 2:11 AM Post #1,804 of 2,497
Interesting that the reviewer called the M5s dry. It's not particularly dry to me, but I'm pairing it with an IEM that is the definition of liquid and it sounds buttery smooth. I'd be curious to hear people's listening impressions when paired with the Shanling ME100.

Feb 5, 2019 at 7:24 AM Post #1,808 of 2,497
Everyone hears differently

... and also have to pay attention what headphones were used during sound analysis, being HD800 in nano's review on headfonia. You are listening to DAP, but in reality hearing the synergy between the DAP and the signature of headphones/earphones used for monitoring the sound :)

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #1,809 of 2,497
From one review, it's like the most musical DAP with killer bass, warm and smooth to the point of almost sounding dark and on another, it's like the most neutral, flat and linear device with bass "as tight as a virgin" to the point of sounding dry.
It's like two ends of the spectrum, aren't reviewers are supposed to have some kind of reference points? Is it possible that the Red version is tuned "slightly" different than the rest?
Oh and if Headfonia could afford a comparison section somewhere in those 4 pages that'd be great.

Feb 5, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #1,810 of 2,497
I've listened to the M5s with several headphones, balanced and not, Bluetooth with and without aptx. Everything sounds better - I'm listening to more music and really enjoying it!

Hopefully they will update the firmware to fix usability issues...

Feb 5, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #1,811 of 2,497
Hopefully they will update the firmware to fix usability issues...

Usability is so bad it is probably going back to Amazon. This morning it was playing to Edifier S2000 with aptx. It wouldn't connect/play in the car. It wouldn't play plugged in to aux. I had to power M5s off and on before it would play again.

Is anyone else having trouble switching between Bluetooth devices? Any suggestions?

Feb 5, 2019 at 12:43 PM Post #1,812 of 2,497

In the last two weeks I compared the m5s sonically with the iBasso DX120 using different headphones - also the HD800 - with the 3.5 mm SE jack.

The DX120 sounds a bit more punchy and sparkling for me and gets its energy rather from the deeper areas. The sound is firmer with more fullness or body, sometimes it appears almost holographic.

The m5s has just as much bass, but gets its energy more from the middle frequencies. As a result, the overall sound is slightly lighter and more airy, but also thinner or more neutral.

Both players have the same wide stage and deliver a high resolving, dynamic sound, not only from DSD sources.

Thus, it is a matter of your own taste which sound (signature) you like better.

Feb 5, 2019 at 3:35 PM Post #1,813 of 2,497
Usability is so bad it is probably going back to Amazon. This morning it was playing to Edifier S2000 with aptx. It wouldn't connect/play in the car. It wouldn't play plugged in to aux. I had to power M5s off and on before it would play again.

Is anyone else having trouble switching between Bluetooth devices? Any suggestions?

Make sure you are running their latest fw, always start with that since it looks like they implemented a number of fixes and changes: http://en.shanling.com/download/57

Feb 5, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #1,814 of 2,497
Make sure you are running their latest fw, always start with that since it looks like they implemented a number of fixes and changes: http://en.shanling.com/download/57
I concur. I took mine out of the box, did an OTA firmware upgrade and it has been flawless in every respect except for the EQ which is being worked on.

Feb 5, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #1,815 of 2,497
I did an ota firmware update to 2.1 (slow) on Sunday.

More usability issues today:
Listening to balanced. Pause playback and plug in cable to unbalanced without headphones. Unit is confused - volume is very low on balanced need to unplug both and wait a minute to reset. Then listened to unbalanced. Stopped player and unplugged and changed cable to balanced. Plugged in and started player. Now volume is very low. Waiting a minute seems to fix it. But it is really hard to do A/B comparisons. I did notice a slightly cleaner very high end with balanced.

Then I tried to switch again and got

upload_2019-2-5_16-2-24.jpeg

Before it got there it said the storage card was unplugged but i didn't get a screen shot of that and the card hasn't moved, the unit was sitting on my desk. It required a power cycle to clear

Users who are viewing this thread

Back