Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Feb 5, 2019 at 4:48 PM Post #1,816 of 2,497
I did an ota firmware update to 2.1 (slow) on Sunday.

More usability issues today:
Listening to balanced. Pause playback and plug in cable to unbalanced without headphones. Unit is confused - volume is very low on balanced need to unplug both and wait a minute to reset. Then listened to unbalanced. Stopped player and unplugged and changed cable to balanced. Plugged in and started player. Now volume is very low. Waiting a minute seems to fix it. But it is really hard to do A/B comparisons. I did notice a slightly cleaner very high end with balanced.

Then I tried to switch again and got

Before it got there it said the storage card was unplugged but i didn't get a screen shot of that and the card hasn't moved, the unit was sitting on my desk. It required a power cycle to clear

I think @Shanling has been reported this issue of low volume sound.

I have tried this trick : swipe right to left to see the song list. Play the previous or last song, the sound volume is OK again!

Feb 5, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #1,817 of 2,497
I did an ota firmware update to 2.1 (slow) on Sunday.

More usability issues today:
Listening to balanced. Pause playback and plug in cable to unbalanced without headphones. Unit is confused - volume is very low on balanced need to unplug both and wait a minute to reset. Then listened to unbalanced. Stopped player and unplugged and changed cable to balanced. Plugged in and started player. Now volume is very low. Waiting a minute seems to fix it. But it is really hard to do A/B comparisons. I did notice a slightly cleaner very high end with balanced.

Then I tried to switch again and got

Before it got there it said the storage card was unplugged but i didn't get a screen shot of that and the card hasn't moved, the unit was sitting on my desk. It required a power cycle to clear

Have you tried another micro SD card? That error message above could be due to faulty card.

Feb 6, 2019 at 2:11 PM Post #1,818 of 2,497
I've heard that this dap has problems regarding eq. Is this going to fixed with firmware?

Feb 6, 2019 at 3:12 PM Post #1,819 of 2,497
Shanling says yes. I'm the one who flagged it, or at least one of the ones who's brought it up. I love everything about this dap except the eq. I don't know if it's limited to a few units or if it's across the board because the majority are not complaining about it. Shanling basically said to me, and I'll paraphrase it. The EQ is not well implemented. They have been working on a solution to be introduced in a future firmware but they are working on licensing arrangements ..... that was a couple of weeks ago and All of China is on New Years Vacation. I lived there for 6 years. CNY is massive and EVERYTHING shuts down. so we wont hear anything from them for another week. But aside from the EQ it is a Beautiful Player and on most tracks it sounds great (with the freq. adjustments I have made). On on some tracks there's a frequency in the music that when combined with the lower eq bands being set above 1 or 2, cause distortion and sound decay, quite literally the lower end sound just turns to almost indiscernible mud while the mids and highs sing on ..... I don't even know how to reproduce it but I have identified a few songs where it it happens. and I haven't figured out how to eq it it out on a freq band by band basis. when it shows up. I have a custom EQ set to zero out the bass and I just switch to it for that track.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #1,820 of 2,497
I personally wouldn't update to 2.1 so far because it introduces (or in my case, amplifies) an issue in which there would be little or no sound after pausing the player or switching headphones. I reverted back to 2.0 for now and have not experienced such an issue at all after downgrading.

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:35 PM Post #1,821 of 2,497
I personally wouldn't update to 2.1 so far because it introduces (or in my case, amplifies) an issue in which there would be little or no sound after pausing the player or switching headphones. I reverted back to 2.0 for now and have not experienced such an issue at all after downgrading.
You also may experience the same issue with FW 2.0 ! Hope they will be fixed soon.

Feb 6, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #1,822 of 2,497
You also may experience the same issue with FW 2.0 ! Hope they will be fixed soon.

Yes, it happened with my unit with firmware 2.0 as well albeit at a far, far, lesser extent.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #1,823 of 2,497
Ok - I downrezzed to 2.0. Its very much faster to download the zip and put the update.bin on the tf card and do the update from the card, than to do OTA update.
I'll post any changes I notice. So far it seems better.

To summarize my 2.1 firmware experiences - the UI is laggy and very prone to getting confused if you "type ahead". If you don't wait for it to finish the current command and press something else - bad things will happen. It gets stuck at a low volume to the point that you can barely hear anything. I've had it unmount the sd card after switching headphones from balanced to unbalanced and hitting play too many times. I had it freeze while trying to shutdown because I changed the volume or hit Yes too many times for Confirm Shutdown. I had it get confused pairing with Bluetooth devices or starting to play on Bluetooth.

By the way, this is a brand new 128GB card - it works fine in an Onkyo DP-X1 and except for the one case it got dismounted (I think by buggy UI) fine in the M5s.

Some other things that I find annoying in the UI - Playlists can't be named so I use Folders. But it doesn't remember where you are in the folders - you need to click SD then Music then scroll to find the folder you want. If you swipe left you can get back to Music, but not if you went to Home screen to select Playback to change EQ or Filter. Then swiping left from the current song takes you back Home.

The Favorites only hold songs. I want to make an Album or a Folder a Favorite. Of if I could have named Playlists, make a Playlist a Favorite.

Another thing I ran into is some of my songs don't have the track number in the name. On Windows you can specify the sort order by # which does what I want. But M5s doesn't offer that choice.

At least the sound is very good.

Feb 8, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #1,827 of 2,497
So I just found this thread as I've purchased the M5s today in NYC. I'm stumped by the DLNA thing and actually just trying to sort sync vs copy on a 64GB card while my 400 is in transit for tomorrow ...

I thought I'd be able to see my Plex or (just installed) MediaMonkey but not seeing anything in the device. I do have DLNA active along with Airplay and I can't see anything to connect to when I hit scan. I'm on the latest firmware (2.1) but can only see things to play to through Bluetooth so far. My Marantz AV7701 in our family room shows up as BT ready but not Airplay and everything should be ready there.

Feb 9, 2019 at 2:44 AM Post #1,828 of 2,497
So I just found this thread as I've purchased the M5s today in NYC. I'm stumped by the DLNA thing and actually just trying to sort sync vs copy on a 64GB card while my 400 is in transit for tomorrow ...

I thought I'd be able to see my Plex or (just installed) MediaMonkey but not seeing anything in the device. I do have DLNA active along with Airplay and I can't see anything to connect to when I hit scan. I'm on the latest firmware (2.1) but can only see things to play to through Bluetooth so far. My Marantz AV7701 in our family room shows up as BT ready but not Airplay and everything should be ready there.

You would probably wait for @Shanling till next Monday after Lunar New Year holiday for the answers...

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #1,829 of 2,497
You would probably wait for @Shanling till next Monday after Lunar New Year holiday for the answers...
Thanks.

What is everyone using to manage / sync media from their main systems? Have a 400GB card arriving today and aside from the time required to copy that much over can't quite process how to manage things going forward.

Feb 9, 2019 at 7:17 AM Post #1,830 of 2,497
Thanks.

What is everyone using to manage / sync media from their main systems? Have a 400GB card arriving today and aside from the time required to copy that much over can't quite process how to manage things going forward.
Now that I can keep all of my music on the device, I simply use Microsoft SyncToy to keep it in sync.

SyncToy offers a good degree of granularity where you can specify files or folder to ignore.

This assumes that you want the same folder name and file name structure on the device as on your PC.

If you want a different arrangement on the device then MediaMonkey will enable you to do that by organising and renaming on the fly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back