Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Feb 11, 2019 at 8:53 PM Post #1,846 of 2,497
What you missed is that Windows 10 will not allow you to format an MSD card larger than 32G (?) to FAT32. You have to download an app to do it. Afterwards Win10 will read the new drive correctly. Go figure.
Totally.

I’m fine with an app and obviously used one to get there but there wasn’t anything for the media player either in the limited docs there.

Feb 11, 2019 at 9:10 PM Post #1,847 of 2,497
I've got a 400GB card formatted in ExFat and it's working fine...

Feb 11, 2019 at 9:12 PM Post #1,848 of 2,497
I've got a 400GB card formatted in ExFat and its works fine...

Mine would not complete the index to update the library. Also as noted previously here the write time on the same selections took about 2x as long to complete vs FAT32. Whatever works .. but for me going forward any potential new card will be formatted to FAT32 right away.

Feb 11, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #1,849 of 2,497
My 400GB mSD is working fine also (about 366GB useable) and the library update completed fine also. Transferring the files did take a long time though. I'll try a 256 card in Fat32 to see if it's any faster.
For those looking for a Formatting Utility here is the latest SD Formatting Utility from the SD Association available for Win and Mac https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html

Feb 12, 2019 at 5:06 AM Post #1,850 of 2,497
I've gone out of my way to avoid using EQ in the past, but ever since I got the Planamic IEMs, it's turning out to be a necessity. I love that wacky IEM for its comfort and liquid timbre, especially when run balanced out of the M5s. Unfortunately, it needs a few slight downward (and one big upward) adjustments to land a bullseye on my target curve.

All that's a preamble to say I've been using the subtractive method on the M5s and to my untrained ears it sounds pretty darn good. No distortion or significant degradation that I can hear, not that I necessarily know what to listen for. The only downside is that the driver is pretty inefficient for an IEM, so using the subtractive method means I have to crank the volume past 75 on low gain on some quieter tracks. I suppose raising the gain to high is still an option but I feel like that's when I start to hear distortion regardless of EQ or not. At least I think it's distortion. That makes me think that Shanling did pretty darn well on the first EQ release, other than not including the -6 dB gain cut.

Anyways, I'm stoked for the updated (parametric?) EQ function to be released with an upcoming update, just to have fewer compromises. It is quite a complementary pairing of IEM and DAP, and anything that theoretically improves the sound would just put the whole experience in another league.

Also, has anyone else noticed any improvement in sound quality after a few weeks of use? I feel like the M5s has improved in clarity particularly at the low end but it could be the IEMs. Not to broach that third rail of audiophile topics again...

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 5:54 AM Post #1,851 of 2,497
Also, has anyone else noticed any improvement in sound quality after a few weeks of use? I feel like the M5s has improved in clarity particularly at the low end

I got the Player 10 days ago and also think its improving with time. Gets smoother and better clarity in the low end, as you already said.

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2019 at 6:08 AM Post #1,852 of 2,497
After problems playing 20% of my DSD iso files, responding of the start/pause key and displaying album covers (only 10% are shown in list view) I'm glad I sent this weak player - even the sound is audibly weaker and thinner than from the DX120 for my taste - back to the german distributor in time.

Feb 12, 2019 at 4:44 PM Post #1,854 of 2,497
My 400GB mSD is working fine also (about 366GB useable) and the library update completed fine also. Transferring the files did take a long time though. I'll try a 256 card in Fat32 to see if it's any faster.
For those looking for a Formatting Utility here is the latest SD Formatting Utility from the SD Association available for Win and Mac https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/index.html
Just updated my library (Manually) 364GB 14,072 tracks - ALAC and FLAC - took about 40 minutes and no problem hanging - it just went about its business and updated with no issues.

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019 at 2:50 PM Post #1,857 of 2,497
What iem do you think is a great match for this player (already own Fiio FH5)?

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I’m not the biggest fan of BA or hybrid IEMs. This is a relatively new realization for me, so I’m just figuring out what I actually like. Anyways, I just ordered the Final Audio E4000 and I’m really excited to pair them with the M5s and my desktop setup. The only downside is they leak sound both ways, so they’re not the best at blocking outside noise or staying dead silent in your immediate vicinity. But in terms of performance, they apparently punch above their price class and offer plenty of detail across the FR as well as deep plentiful bass.

Feb 15, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #1,858 of 2,497
What iem do you think is a great match for this player (already own Fiio FH5)?

These.... :ksc75smile:

4F27BB55-AE3C-4E99-A8F8-62719D96535E.jpeg

Feb 15, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #1,860 of 2,497
I have the same combo I brought to work with me. Cant beat this combo. Solaris and M5s just amazing.

Cool dude! I read a review saying the Solaris with M5s has loads of hiss? There is absolutely zero hiss for me! It sounds awesome. Can't imagine changing this combo for a looooooong time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back