Shanling M5s now with TIDAL - Dual AK4493EQ DAC, fully balanced, Wi-Fi, 2way LDAC BT, 3.2 Touch screen, FW 3.7
Feb 15, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #1,862 of 2,497
Maybe something more affordable? :)

Actually I've also been really enjoying the FiiO FA7 with the M5s, again with a balanced cable. Some people complain about there being a lower mid boost, but it definitely doesn't bother me - they sound great. Also REALLY comfortable!

Feb 15, 2019 at 1:46 PM Post #1,864 of 2,497
Maybe something more affordable? :)
The a Final E4000 is $150. Throw in a decent 2.5mm balanced cable for around $40-50. Considering the cost of the player, a balanced IEM for under $200 ain’t that bad.

Feb 15, 2019 at 2:23 PM Post #1,866 of 2,497
Ah when you mention you preferred a full-bodied sound, that it didn’t mean leaner bass. My guess is the bass will have a more natural decay with the E4000 compared to the FH5 in addition to having more, but the tuning won’t be as treble forward.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #1,867 of 2,497
What iem do you think is a great match for this player (already own Fiio FH5)?

The iSine 10 (with EQ and without EQ) sounds very airy, tight bass and very smooth vacal. Wide soundstage, just great !

I also use RHA T20 to pair with M5s. Strong bass and forward mid...

20190115_130917.jpg

Feb 16, 2019 at 4:08 AM Post #1,870 of 2,497
Used some pink noise the last hours and its improving a lot. Much clearer and less bloated. I am beginning to like FH5 with M5s. But i will also look at the Final E-Series (and wait if Fiio FA1 or Shanling ME will be better than E4000)

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2019 at 9:55 PM Post #1,872 of 2,497
I am using the HD6xx balanced on the M5S as I write this. Wonderful sound. Bass is tight and plentiful. Miles Davis and Robert Palmer are just fantastic.
I have not heard anything I own sound badly with this piece. Really glad I got it.

Feb 16, 2019 at 10:04 PM Post #1,873 of 2,497
I am using the HD6xx balanced on the M5S as I write this. Wonderful sound. Bass is tight and plentiful. Miles Davis and Robert Palmer are just fantastic.
I have not heard anything I own sound badly with this piece. Really glad I got it.
I have spoken very positively about this player but I really have to wonder if I got a defective unit. I've written before about my experience with the EQ. Today I was listening to Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City. I had the EQ on and all the bass frequencies set to 1 notch above 0 and it was as if the sound wave just fell apart- The music was SO Degraded both Dave's vocals and his acoustic guitar that it was unlistenable, completely unintelligible and degraded to the point of awful. So just to check, I kept the settings the same and put on Donald Fagan Kamakiriad - and it was fantastic.
I dont know there are just certain frequencies wich just completely fall apart with this player. On some tracks its completely blissful and on others its pure crap. I love the ergonomics, the ui, the baterry and the sound on about 60% of what I listen to, but the 40% is really beginning to irritate me......

Feb 16, 2019 at 11:03 PM Post #1,874 of 2,497

Yes, I also pair the M5s with Isine 10 and RHA T20. Bass is also very tight and powerful.

@holsen : maybe there is some issue with your unit?

Feb 17, 2019 at 12:04 AM Post #1,875 of 2,497
I'm more and more beginning to believe this is the case. There's a very talented young guitarist out of Calgary named Callum Graham. He's got an incredibly well recorded and produced album and it sounds amazing on every device I've played it except my M5S. The strings and fingers across the strings just disintegrate with this unit. @Shanling any comment?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back