Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
Jul 1, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #1,202 of 2,461
Out of curiosity does anyone have comparisons/impressions of the Moondrop x Tanchjim collab M3X LE vs the regular version? I know they use different tantalum capacitors to affect tuning but I'm not entirely sure what that difference might sound like.

I tried doing some really rudimentary comparisons between the DAPs I have with Blessing2 Dusks 4.4mm to see how the M3X LE stacks up.

I feel like the M3X is close to a neutral sound signature and compared to the mid-fi DAPs one price bracket above (SR25 and ZX507) it lacks a bit of resolving power, separation and soundstage. That said, it's like 80% of the way there, and sounds fantastic as is. Really enjoyable at this price range honestly. The screen also beats out the ZX507 and SR25, but mannnn Sony just owns at software with their player. I'm using UAPP on the M3X too.

Anyway, in the $300 range this is a great DAP. The last DAP i bought at this price was the Activo CT10 and maybe sound quality is similar (been a while since I tried it out) it just lacks so many features and the form factor, build quality, and battery life were lacking compared to the M3X.

Jul 2, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #1,205 of 2,461
Anyone in the uk after one, music teck USA has it on the 4th of July sale. probably have to pay taxes but might work out the same or not much difference considering it is not available right now in the uk.

Jul 3, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #1,206 of 2,461
the anime back panel really opens up the soundstage and imparts a higher resolving sound overall
That silicone case...does it come with normal M3X as well @Shanling ?

Jul 3, 2021 at 6:45 AM Post #1,207 of 2,461
Hi folks, I installed UAPP on my m3x, sound uality is fantastic, that's fine. But I'm having issues with UPnP renderer in it. I connected it to my home hifi and want to be able to remote control it from my android tablet. I installed BubbleUPnP on my android tablet and am able to see UAPP Renderer, how ever when I clik on it I get the following message:
"Browse error: Current state of service prevents invoking that action. Connection error or no response received"

However the same process works with my old android phone (it has some music and UAPP installed on it already). So I am wondering if I need to enable/disable some settings on my M3X to fix the issue.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 11:59 AM Post #1,208 of 2,461
I wrote previously in this thread, and just commented on his review, I just sold my Lotoo PAW 6000 at a loss because I just couldnt justify keeping it when comparing against this M3X - The M3X at 28% the price of the LP6K is 110% performance of the 6K. The only place the 6K wins is boot up speed and its got quick scroll through folders, like you can do in Album or Artist with the Shanling app. Aside from that, I prefer EVERYTHING about the M3X battery, sound, form, function, features and sound.
How do you find the M3X with hard-to-drive cans? I've heard, anecdotally, that it punches way above its weight, even at less than 300mW out of balanced.

Jul 3, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #1,209 of 2,461
How do you find the M3X with hard-to-drive cans? I've heard, anecdotally, that it punches way above its weight, even at less than 300mW out of balanced.
I dont have any HPs as I'm an IEM guy but I've got a couple of Planar Units that like power (I wouldn't call them hard to drive) and this M3X is every bit as good as the Lotoo Paw 6000. To Put it in perspective. The Lotoo only outputs 10mW on Low Gain where as the M3Xcan output 101mW. High Gain is 265mW on the the M3X compare to the LP6K at 300mW. I haven't needed high gain on either. I'm actually debating with myself as to whether to pull the trigger on the M6 21 Pro. I mean, if this M3X can sound this good and go head to head with units 4 X the price then..... On the other hand, I'm perfectly happy with this M3X and the battery life is amazing. Oh, what to do? What to do?

Jul 3, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #1,211 of 2,461
Another question guys. When I was listening my songs for the first time I remember seeing MQA logo and blue dot under the cover art. However today (same song) I can’t see any indicator under the cover art as you can see from the screenshots below:
A70A442C-A7EF-4424-8B04-2CD78B0793C8.png

EDE85025-6A7D-4A4B-9C92-038610F9E95D.png

First screenshot shows that the song is an MQA file but you can see in the second screenshot it doesn’t show a blue dot or mqa logo. I am not sure if I changed a setting or something. Has anybody noticed this?

Jul 3, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #1,212 of 2,461
I received my M3X yesterday and so far I really like it. I have sent @Davy Wentzler (UAPP developer) the required debug information for full support including 16x MQA decoding and he has already built a test version that's working perfectly at 16x (705.6 and 768kHz). I'm not sure how long it will take to update the Play Store version but it should be on it's way. Amazing how quickly he jumped on it, really good stuff!
Hey buddy, could you please have look at my message here:
Post in thread 'Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...-smallest-android-player.950199/post-16437620

I really love UAPP but BubbleUPnP is not working with the latest version I think. How did you reach out to devs?

Jul 3, 2021 at 9:57 PM Post #1,213 of 2,461
I used balanced to drive my dt880 600 ohm and reached comfortable listening level at about 85-90 volume on high gain, and that's on a quiet track

Jul 4, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #1,214 of 2,461
Hey buddy, could you please have look at my message here:
Post in thread 'Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player'
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sha...-smallest-android-player.950199/post-16437620

I really love UAPP but BubbleUPnP is not working with the latest version I think. How did you reach out to devs?

I just sent the logs to Davy using UAPP (under the "About" section in the app) and he immediately engaged me via email for additional info. He sent me a test version the same day that added M3X full support. It showed up on the Play Store a few days later. Very cool...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back