Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
Jun 30, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #1,172 of 2,461
Hi, just got my M3X LE but need help with Qobuz. When streaming anything it just cuts in and out, playing music intermittently for half a second at a time. Does the same thing even if I've imported the song. Any ideas?

edit: nevermind, the shanling app was doing a huge initial library scan and i guess it was too resource intensive to play qobuz at the same time. works ok now.

with that said what's everyone's favorite alternative player? the shanling app is sorely missing a lot of features and struggles with files with special characters in them x___x

edit2: okay, I'm trying the Hiby app for now since it's free and will look into Neutron and UAPP next.. but Gapless and Album Artist would really help the Shanling player app

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 4:59 PM Post #1,173 of 2,461
UAPP is good because you get all in one package (Qobuz in my case). Also like Hi-fi Cast when streaming from my NAS because it is snappy and has a clear layout, but it lacks the streaming services.

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #1,174 of 2,461
Hi, just got my M3X LE but need help with Qobuz. When streaming anything it just cuts in and out, playing music intermittently for half a second at a time. Does the same thing even if I've imported the song. Any ideas?

edit: nevermind, the shanling app was doing a huge initial library scan and i guess it was too resource intensive to play qobuz at the same time. works ok now.

with that said what's everyone's favorite alternative player? the shanling app is sorely missing a lot of features and struggles with files with special characters in them x___x

edit2: okay, I'm trying the Hiby app for now since it's free and will look into Neutron and UAPP next.. but Gapless and Album Artist would really help the Shanling player app
The Shanling app is a mess. I'm using UAPP and it just works fine. Sorting order is okay and library functionality is also better than within the Shanling app. Elsewhere on this M3X forum I've put an overview for the settings in UAPP for DSD DXD and other hi-res sources.

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:20 PM Post #1,175 of 2,461
The Shanling app is a mess. I'm using UAPP and it just works fine. Sorting order is okay and library functionality is also better than within the Shanling app. Elsewhere on this M3X forum I've put an overview for the settings in UAPP for DSD DXD and other hi-res sources.
Agree with this 100%. Prime mode is good for battery but shanling app is just not suitable. Sorting is a nightmare and can't have more than few thousand tracks in a playlist, also missed a lot on a scan

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #1,176 of 2,461
Okay, good to hear I'm not alone with some of these complaints. Kind of wild coming from Sony UI to Astell and Kern which I thought couldn't get worse to this, sorry Shanling haha. Just bought UAPP and will look back through the thread for settings. thanks yall

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #1,177 of 2,461
Tried that, still not showing...
The first thing I think of is a faulty SD card. Make sure you have a good SD card!
At first I used a cheap card and strange things happened. Folders disappeared one after another, and the Shanling library didn't show or play DSD files.
With a new quality card in my M3X everything works fine.
Can you see the SD card in Windows Explorer? And check the properties of the card. Is the right amount of free and used space shown? Are there folders that you can't see in either Windows or the Shanling file explorer?
And when you can't even see
the SD card in Windows Explorer, have you set USB to Transfer files? And have you verified that USB Debugging is connected?

Jun 30, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #1,178 of 2,461
Okay, good to hear I'm not alone with some of these complaints. Kind of wild coming from Sony UI to Astell and Kern which I thought couldn't get worse to this, sorry Shanling haha. Just bought UAPP and will look back through the thread for settings. thanks yall

UAPP should detect the M3X automatically and configure it for you. The only suggestion would be to change bitperfect to "when possible". Of course there is a lot to tinker with if you wish...

Note that you do not need the MQA add-on as the M3X has hardware MQA built-in.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 6:09 PM Post #1,179 of 2,461
The first thing I think of is a faulty SD card. Make sure you have a good SD card!
At first I used a cheap card and strange things happened. Folders disappeared one after another, and the Shanling library didn't show or play DSD files.
With a new quality card in my M3X everything works fine.
Can you see the SD card in Windows Explorer? And check the properties of the card. Is the right amount of free and used space shown? Are there folders that you can't see in either Windows or the Shanling file explorer?
And when you can't even see
the SD card in Windows Explorer, have you set USB to Transfer files? And have you verified that USB Debugging is connected?
Thanks for the response. Yes i can see it, just appears as empty. Space is rightly allocated. I can see it on the player, just not on Windows. Its a kigsdom 512gbs. And yes, transfer mode with dev tools activated.

Jun 30, 2021 at 7:22 PM Post #1,180 of 2,461
UAPP should detect the M3X automatically and configure it for you. The only suggestion would be to change bitperfect to "when possible". Of course there is a lot to tinker with if you wish...

Note that you do not need the MQA add-on as the M3X has hardware MQA built-in.
Thanks, got it set up and running now. I actually really appreciate a lot of the UI options. It sounds great too..

I'm just wondering if it causes the device to run hotter than if using the stock Shanling app? Granted, the US is in a heat wave right now, the M3X seems noticeably warm to the touch even with wifi/bluetooth off just playing in my pocket. I have it in a TPU case, but my ZX507 and SR25 never got warm like that. The only other player I have that came close is the Activo CT10 when streaming stuff intensely.

Jun 30, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #1,181 of 2,461
Also Using UAPP. It's fast, fluid and sounds great. I like that I can sort by Artist or Album Artist and it picks up playlists automatically. My only issue with it is it does burn a little more battery per hour than Shanling or Hiby Apps. With the SHanling App Balanced Out, Low Gain I get between 4 and 4.5% burn per hour. I need to track a little more but I think its up around 6% / Hour with UAPP, which is still very good

Jun 30, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #1,182 of 2,461
If someone told me I would be considering the M3X from Shanling Audio to be in line even with DAPs twice the price, as long as you're driving IEMs, I wouldn't have believed it!!

But today, I end up calling it a high-end DAP, because I am really impressed with the sonic performance, overall ergonomics and usability of the DAP, including proper MQA support.

I'm still learning about MQA, so don't judge my lack of support for it, but rather, continue testing yourself and learning whether it will be a part of your listening tabiet everyday, and also, if you have something that easy and up to moderately hard to drive, and especially if you have 4.4mm balanced cables, I hope my review on the Shanling M3X will be of great help to you~

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/07/shanling-m3x-music-player-refine-the-refined.html

Shanling-M3X-DAP-MQA-Tidal-Wireless-aptX-X-Series-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-31.jpg

Jun 30, 2021 at 8:58 PM Post #1,183 of 2,461
Tried that, still not showing...
Any chance to try it on different computer?

This card, did you ever used in other device before? Or is it brand new?
@Shanling does M3X support AirPlay 2 in receiving mode, I want to use AirPlay (wi-fi) instead of bluetooth (aac/sbc) from my iPhone.
No support for Airplay 2. Just the basic one.

No problem, I'm also using third-party apps myself :wink:

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jun 30, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #1,184 of 2,461

Istg the lack of gapless playback is one of the biggest reason why I don't use prime mode.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back