Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
Jul 1, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #1,187 of 2,461
Hi, just got my M3X LE but need help with Qobuz. When streaming anything it just cuts in and out, playing music intermittently for half a second at a time. Does the same thing even if I've imported the song. Any ideas?

edit: nevermind, the shanling app was doing a huge initial library scan and i guess it was too resource intensive to play qobuz at the same time. works ok now.

with that said what's everyone's favorite alternative player? the shanling app is sorely missing a lot of features and struggles with files with special characters in them x___x

edit2: okay, I'm trying the Hiby app for now since it's free and will look into Neutron and UAPP next.. but Gapless and Album Artist would really help the Shanling player app
i installed both neutron and uapp as alternate music player. i prefer Neutron since it really plays bitperfect unlike UAPP that plays "bitperfect" even with DSP running. I also like its level of cutomization and even lets you set what buttons would show on the top panel

Jul 1, 2021 at 2:49 AM Post #1,188 of 2,461
Already did, same problem.

Yes, the card is new and never used in any other device :frowning2:
In such case I would strongly recommend to test it in different device and test different card in M3X.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Jul 1, 2021 at 2:56 AM Post #1,189 of 2,461
What player are you guys using? I am really torn with using the prime mode and a 3rd party player because I don't like the UI of the prime mode, but it sounds much better than any 3rd party app I have tried . Is this supposed to be what's happening or am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 3:05 AM Post #1,190 of 2,461
In such case I would strongly recommend to test it in different device and test different card in M3X.

I just found an SD adaptor and pluged it directly into my work's notebook. After finding errors and analyzing, everything seems normal. When I plug it again into the M3X, same thing happens as before.

Bought a portable storage disk and I'll backup all the SD card, since problem seems to be with it and not the player.

Thanks everyone that tried and thanks @Shanling.

Jul 1, 2021 at 5:21 AM Post #1,191 of 2,461
PowerAmp
Has anyone got PowerAmp working well on their M3X? Did you have to change any default settings?
It has installed fine, but runs into problems after 30-60 seconds or so and stops playing. The sounds dies off over a few seconds then just clicks quietly for a while. I thought at first a hardware problem, but I have no problems with Spotify or the Shanling app so am quite sure that it is a problem with PowerAmp.
Thanks!

Jul 1, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #1,192 of 2,461
PowerAmp
Has anyone got PowerAmp working well on their M3X? Did you have to change any default settings?
It has installed fine, but runs into problems after 30-60 seconds or so and stops playing. The sounds dies off over a few seconds then just clicks quietly for a while. I thought at first a hardware problem, but I have no problems with Spotify or the Shanling app so am quite sure that it is a problem with PowerAmp.
Thanks!
Mine is alright but is clearly inferior to the prime mode in sq. Not quite sure why. As for your question, no, I did not have to change any settings whatsoever and it is working alright

Jul 1, 2021 at 10:06 AM Post #1,193 of 2,461
I just found an SD adaptor and pluged it directly into my work's notebook. After finding errors and analyzing, everything seems normal. When I plug it again into the M3X, same thing happens as before.

Bought a portable storage disk and I'll backup all the SD card, since problem seems to be with it and not the player.

Thanks everyone that tried and thanks @Shanling.
Once you back up that card. Download "SD Formatter" an app from the SD alliance and try formatting the card in exFat it may fix your problems with the card

Jul 1, 2021 at 11:30 AM Post #1,195 of 2,461
Already backed it up. What does that format do? thanks for the help :)
When someone says format SD card, this simply means delete all the data on it permanently. The moment you do it, a new file system is allocated to the secure digital device. This makes it reusable for saving new records again.

3 Purposes of Formatting an SD Card

When someone says "format" you get an idea the whole records on this secure digital media is going to delete. Does formatting do only this much? Think over! It does much more to make the storage device reusable. Most of you might not know this. Read it here for what purposes you can format an SD card.

• Change the File system
    Different devices work with diverse file systems. So, to make your secure digital media compatible to work on a particular device, you need to change the file system. For this formatting it in the required file system becomes necessary.
  • Fix corrupted SD card
    If your data drive gets infected with some virus, or while trying to access it, you get a message that the disk is corrupted or unreadable, then formatting it resolves the issue. It is one of the best ways to make your storage drive ready for reuse.
  • Erase data
    At times you want to create space on your storage media, then you can opt for erasing files by formatting it. It will give you more space by deleting all the existing information that is of no use for you now.

It will fix any corrupt file sturucture if it exists AND you can designate the file structure you want to use. FAT32 or exFAT - I'm not going to explain the differences but but just make sure your card is formatted as exFAT. If your card is compatabile with the M3X and not defective- the SD Formatter Software will fix it. its possible to have a card that works in some devices and not other - just due to a corrupt file system on the card. Format the Card with SD Formatter OR Format it in the M3X
Settings>Storage>SD Card>3 dots(...)>Format If your card is not corrupted beyond repair, this will make it useable in the M3X
This will erase all data on the card and you can start fresh.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2021 at 12:07 PM Post #1,196 of 2,461
When someone says format SD card, this simply means delete all the data on it permanently. The moment you do it, a new file system is allocated to the secure digital device. This makes it reusable for saving new records again.

3 Purposes of Formatting an SD Card

When someone says "format" you get an idea the whole records on this secure digital media is going to delete. Does formatting do only this much? Think over! It does much more to make the storage device reusable. Most of you might not know this. Read it here for what purposes you can format an SD card.

• Change the File system
    Different devices work with diverse file systems. So, to make your secure digital media compatible to work on a particular device, you need to change the file system. For this formatting it in the required file system becomes necessary.
  • Fix corrupted SD card
    If your data drive gets infected with some virus, or while trying to access it, you get a message that the disk is corrupted or unreadable, then formatting it resolves the issue. It is one of the best ways to make your storage drive ready for reuse.
  • Erase data
    At times you want to create space on your storage media, then you can opt for erasing files by formatting it. It will give you more space by deleting all the existing information that is of no use for you now.

It will fix any corrupt file sturucture if it exists AND you can designate the file structure you want to use. FAT32 or exFAT - I'm not going to explain the differences but but just make sure your card is formatted as exFAT. If your card is compatabile with the M3X and not defective- the SD Formatter Software will fix it. its possible to have a card that works in some devices and not other - just due to a corrupt file system on the card. Format the Card with SD Formatter OR Format it in the M3X
Settings>Storage>SD Card>3 dots(...)>Format If your card is not corrupted beyond repair, this will make it useable in the M3X
This will erase all data on the card and you can start fresh.

Thanks, I did format it with the M3X but then installed the tool. Made sure it's exFat.

Everything seems normal now. Copying back the data!

Thanks a lot for the info :)

Jul 1, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #1,197 of 2,461
If someone told me I would be considering the M3X from Shanling Audio to be in line even with DAPs twice the price, as long as you're driving IEMs, I wouldn't have believed it!!

But today, I end up calling it a high-end DAP, because I am really impressed with the sonic performance, overall ergonomics and usability of the DAP, including proper MQA support.

I'm still learning about MQA, so don't judge my lack of support for it, but rather, continue testing yourself and learning whether it will be a part of your listening tabiet everyday, and also, if you have something that easy and up to moderately hard to drive, and especially if you have 4.4mm balanced cables, I hope my review on the Shanling M3X will be of great help to you~

https://www.audiophile-heaven.com/2021/07/shanling-m3x-music-player-refine-the-refined.html

Shanling-M3X-DAP-MQA-Tidal-Wireless-aptX-X-Series-Review-Audiophile-Heaven-31.jpg
Thank you for review. I am thinking about this player because i have a campfire vega 2020 with balanced cable. so thanks for condfirmation

Jul 1, 2021 at 2:05 PM Post #1,198 of 2,461
Thank you for review. I am thinking about this player because i have a campfire vega 2020 with balanced cable. so thanks for condfirmation
I wrote previously in this thread, and just commented on his review, I just sold my Lotoo PAW 6000 at a loss because I just couldnt justify keeping it when comparing against this M3X - The M3X at 28% the price of the LP6K is 110% performance of the 6K. The only place the 6K wins is boot up speed and its got quick scroll through folders, like you can do in Album or Artist with the Shanling app. Aside from that, I prefer EVERYTHING about the M3X battery, sound, form, function, features and sound.

Jul 1, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #1,199 of 2,461
I wrote previously in this thread, and just commented on his review, I just sold my Lotoo PAW 6000 at a loss because I just couldnt justify keeping it when comparing against this M3X - The M3X at 28% the price of the LP6K is 110% performance of the 6K. The only place the 6K wins is boot up speed and its got quick scroll through folders, like you can do in Album or Artist with the Shanling app. Aside from that, I prefer EVERYTHING about the M3X battery, sound, form, function, features and sound.
Yes. I read your post. For example my experience: i sold an expensive dap because i' m better with a cheaper usb dongle. For a week i told to me: i' m crazy!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back