Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
Dec 21, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #1,636 of 2,445
Have since done some searching n ended up in Spotify community. That none has the solution. Guess I will just leave the m3x on...on standby...battery consumption is like 3to5% the whole day unless I listen to them. Things is it didn't happen all the time. Like 3/5 times that u have shut the unit.
Unfortunately there is no solution yet. I even tried differet SD cards, formatting, resetting, different spotify versions. Nothing solved it for me :-/

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #1,637 of 2,445
Hello! Did anyone notice any changes in sound with firmware updates? Also, can someone tell me which digital filter options are available on the latest firmware version? I've seen varied accounts on this matter on the net. My unit only has linear phase fast roll-off and apodizing fast roll-off available straight out of the box, the latter being my strongly preferred one. AFAIK, it was removed and replaced by another option with one of the firmware updates, which is very unfortunate. With this in mind I've been hesitant to update my device so far. If that is indeed the case, I'm wondering what was the reason for this change.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Dec 21, 2021 at 8:12 PM Post #1,638 of 2,445
Hello! Did anyone notice any changes in sound with firmware updates? Also, can someone tell me which digital filter options are available on the latest firmware version? I've seen varied accounts on this matter on the net. My unit only has linear phase fast roll-off and apodizing fast roll-off available straight out of the box, the latter being my strongly preferred one. AFAIK, it was removed and replaced by another option with one of the firmware updates, which is very unfortunate. With this in mind I've been hesitant to update my device so far. If that is indeed the case, I'm wondering what was the reason for this change.

We make no sound adjustments with firmware updates.

Filters in M3X are marked as Linear Fast and Apodizing Fast. There was no change to digital filters used on M3X.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 21, 2021 at 8:24 PM Post #1,639 of 2,445

Tried back to back all the filters but can't hear any difference 😅
Or maybe to minute to cause a change

Dec 22, 2021 at 1:51 AM Post #1,640 of 2,445
I've been using UAPP for a week or so, what a great program. I've found it sounds great and is almost perfect with the M3X, much less buggy than other programs I've tried. However I have a couple of questions and there doesn't seem to be a good guide available for use of the program, so I would appreciate any advice from @Shanling or anyone! Thank you.

1. I've noticed the suggestion in this forum to turn on a "bit perfect" or "bit perfect when possible" option. Is this something I should be doing, would it improve the sound? Is there any downside to turning it on?

2. Are there any other options I should be taking in the UAPP settings to improve the sound or have it work better with the M3X?

3. This is no big deal, but when the UAPP first loads after I turn the player on, it always goes to the radio stations option screen, no matter what I was last using on the player (usually I'm using a playlist). This happens no matter if the player is powered off, etc. Any way to have it open to the home page, or playlists, or whatever I was last doing with it, by default?

4. Speaking of radio... I'm in Japan, so as far as I know I can't use TIDAL or Qobuz. So I tried Shoutcast radio. It works well and sounds pretty good, but after a minute or so it always crashes and shuts UAPP down. My wifi connection is good, I think. So... any way to fix this?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2021 at 8:05 AM Post #1,641 of 2,445
Hi all. I am a new owner of shanling M3x. On the third power-up, I have switched to Prime mode, the screen has gone black, connecting to the power has not been solved either. Is this normal? Should I be worry? How can I do a Hard reset?Thanks

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:00 AM Post #1,642 of 2,445
Hi all. I am a new owner of shanling M3x. On the third power-up, I have switched to Prime mode, the screen has gone black, connecting to the power has not been solved either. Is this normal? Should I be worry? How can I do a Hard reset?Thanks
Happened to me once..dunno how it happened. Had to hold the power button (the volume knob) for 12 seconds then let go before it could come on again. Then tried testing it again. Shutdown...then press power button 2 sec it comes on again. Like normal. Since then haven had any such issues. Probably becos I don't shut down my unit. If not Spotify download all gone n must redownload

Dec 26, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #1,643 of 2,445
Forced reset is to hold down power button twice for 12 seconds, please check that firstly.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 28, 2021 at 7:09 PM Post #1,644 of 2,445
I just joined the M3X crowd... Just bought it from Linsoul. They're having an end-of-year sale plus limited additional $8.00 discount coupon and free shipping.

Anyway, I've been browsing this thread and one question that always comes up is about system wide EQ that works with apps like Spotify and the most common answer is that a few apps have built-in EQ or you have to somehow root your device for system wide EQ.

Well, guys there is a free non-root solution. Install SoundID app from Google Play Store, more info here. It will run on Android 6 and up, more info here. Check to see if your headphone or earphones are supported for custom EQ tuning. SoundID also has a builtin PEQ that can be used in the case their semi-automated tuning doesn't give good results for you. Or you can have their custom EQ and you can setup other profiles (like Harman target) with the PEQ.

SoundID will probably be one of the first apps I install on my M3X when I receive it from Linsoul.

Since I don't have my M3X yet I can't try it. (I did install it on my Samsung tablet and tuned Grell TWS/1 earphones.) Anyone want to give it a try?

Dec 28, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #1,645 of 2,445
I just joined the M3X crowd... Just bought it from Linsoul. They're having an end-of-year sale plus limited additional $8.00 discount coupon and free shipping.

Anyway, I've been browsing this thread and one question that always comes up is about system wide EQ that works with apps like Spotify and the most common answer is that a few apps have built-in EQ or you have to somehow root your device for system wide EQ.

Well, guys there is a free non-root solution. Install SoundID app from Google Play Store, more info here. It will run on Android 6 and up, more info here. Check to see if your headphone or earphones are supported for custom EQ tuning. SoundID also has a builtin PEQ that can be used in the case their semi-automated tuning doesn't give good results for you. Or you can have their custom EQ and you can setup other profiles (like Harman target) with the PEQ.

SoundID will probably be one of the first apps I install on my M3X when I receive it from Linsoul.

Since I don't have my M3X yet I can't try it. (I did install it on my Samsung tablet and tuned Grell TWS/1 earphones.) Anyone want to give it a try?
Looks like you've tried looking for root. I do thunk it's possible but have no time to try it out yet, using kingroot or fastboot flashing a premodified boot.img using magisk. Gonna try that SoundID first :)

Dec 29, 2021 at 12:37 AM Post #1,646 of 2,445

I tried SoundID but it didn’t work and crashed for me. In google store it says Android 9 and above as far as I recall. Although I was able to install. May be I will try again. Have little experience with Android.
However somehow this little device is working some magic with my MDR Z1R that I have stopped looking for EQ but ya with JVC I would enjoy some mid bass bump

Last edited:
Dec 29, 2021 at 1:16 AM Post #1,647 of 2,445
I tried SoundID but it didn’t work and crashed for me. In google store it says Android 9 and above as far as I recall. Although I was able to install. May be I will try again. Have little experience with Android.
However somehow this little device is working some magic with my MDR Z1R that I have stopped looking for EQ but ya with JVC I would enjoy some mid bass bump
You're right about Android 9 in the app store description. I didn't check that because Sonarworks website states Android 6 and above. Maybe they didn't update their website. I'm still willing to try it and see what happens. Worst case scenario it doesn't work and need to delete it. If you try it again please give some feedback.

I copied the app description from the app store. It would be great if it does work, fingers crossed.

Code:
Get your perfect sound in few simple steps

Music sounds so much better with SoundID! Tailor sound to your headphones, preferences and hearing

Complete simple steps to create your SoundID:

- Choose your headphones
- Complete the Preference test
- Listen to music with SoundID turned ON
- Prepare to be amazed

List of supported apps:
* Spotify
* YouTube Music (ex. Google Play Music)
* Deezer requires additional setup (enabling 3rd party equalization app) 
* Apple Music 
* VLC / requires additional setup - Settings > Audio > Audio Output > OpenSL ES
* PlayerPro / Settings > Audio > Effects > check “system sound effects”. After app restarts: upper bar EQ > ON
* Musicolet / Settings > Audio > Equalizer > Equalizer to use > System Equalizer
* Oto Music
* Shuttle 
* Phonograph 
* Muzio
* Podcast Addict
* DI.FM Radio / requires additional setup (enabling 3rd party equalization app)
* AIMP
.. and more

Maximize your listening experience

🎧 Unlock the full potential of your existing headphones 
🎵Tailor sound to match your personal taste
✅ Make fine-tuned adjustments for your hearing with a simple and intuitive test
❤ Get personalized sound effortlessly

Why SoundID?

* Patented data-driven technology. Based on the largest research conducted on consumer sound preferences ©
* We asked thousands of people. 8 out of 10 prefer SoundID over the original headphone sound
* Sound personalization done right. Sound that fits you based on your headphones, preference and hearing 
* Based on industry leading technology used to record your favorite artists like Lady Gaga, Kanye West, Madonna, Rihanna, The Killers, Adele, Coldplay and many more in over 70,000 pro recording studios 🎸

Once you've created your SoundID you can listen to a list of supported apps on your Android devices (Android 9+) or listen anywhere if you have SoundID enabled headphones - Drop + THX Panda, Monolith by Monoprice M-TWE, Grell TWS/1, Drop TWS1X here SoundID is built into headphone firmware 🎧🎵

Dec 29, 2021 at 10:05 AM Post #1,648 of 2,445
We make no sound adjustments with firmware updates.

Filters in M3X are marked as Linear Fast and Apodizing Fast. There was no change to digital filters used on M3X.

I see, thank you for the reply. I think I must have confused it with the UP5 or something. Or maybe my mind is just messing with me. Although, regarding the sound adjustments, it would have been a welcome thing for me personally. Maybe as an optional feature to change a signature to something a bit more treble forward/less lower mid forward, but I guess I should not expect such an advanced thing. It would help to cover a broader range of potential customers, though, that's for sure, as the default sound signature is a pretty niche one.

Tried back to back all the filters but can't hear any difference 😅
Or maybe to minute to cause a change

Funny how this whole thing works for different folks. To me the difference has always been quite noticeable, at least with ESS DACs. Some filters are more similar to one another than others, though. For example, the difference between slow roll-off and fast roll-off is more clear in comparison to linear vs minimum phase and the apodizing filters are a real standout to me vs all others.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021 at 1:46 AM Post #1,650 of 2,445
Hi
Is there anyway to make launcher of M3X default to some other launcher like Nova? I have installed Nova but every time the device is booted it defaults to stock launcher (launcher 3)
Not at this time, software team has it set to always reset to the default one from us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back