Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Feb 12, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #2,131 of 2,460
At this price point wouldn’t it be unfair to look for sonic perfection? I can say that with my IEMs it’s more than capable though.

You are correct...very adequate.. punches through at a level much higher than it's price.

I agree... I'm using this player with ER4-XR... great sound quality.

I'm curious about something. It's been said often in this thread that for the price its hard or impossible to get better sound. Also, the size of the player is fantastic, it's so portable and can even be used with one hand. So I'm curious about how much one would have to spend to get a player of the same size or smaller, with significantly better sound quality. Does such a player even exist? I know there are better ones but they all seem to be larger, not the same size or smaller. (And of course more expensive).

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2018 at 1:31 PM Post #2,132 of 2,460

I'm curious about something. It's been said often in this thread that for the price its hard or impossible to get better sound. Also, the size of the player is fantastic, it's so portable and can even be used with one hand. So I'm curious about how much one would have to spend to get a player of the same size or smaller, with significantly better sound quality. Does such a player even exist? I know there are better ones but they all seem to be larger, not the same size or smaller. (And of course more expensive).

I don't know of any smaller DAP existing with bettet EQ, I think that physics kick in at M2s's size and you simply can't cramp more components together in that small sapce.

Lotoo DAPs might be super small, and I haven't heard one to say if they sound better, and Megamini actually could be said to sound better than M2s if you don't mind some hiss with sensitive IEMs, but Megamini is minimalistic, no BT, no Hiby Link, no fancy stuff, M2s being better at doing many things.

This would be it for what I am aware of existing in small form factor as DAPs.

EDIT::: FiiO X1-3, X3-3 might be good to consider, buuut those might be larger than M2s

Feb 12, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #2,133 of 2,460

imo aune m1s and hidizs ap100 have better technicalities (soundstage, extension on both ends, resolution, layering) than m2s. but m2s has nice tonality and noticeably smaller than them.

m3s is clear step up with still small size.

Feb 13, 2018 at 6:04 AM Post #2,134 of 2,460
Does anyone have a clue why the sound is completely different between 'OFF' mode on the EQ (airy, big and 15db louder) and the 'EQ RESET' mode on the EQ (bassy and small - better for some of my crappy harsh IEM's)?
They both have the same flat graph obviously .

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #2,135 of 2,460
Thank you i understand. Satisfactory but not spectacular.

How is works song rating system? I see a heart symbol in photos. What will be when you give a heart to song? Is it list all hearted song in a one list like favourites? Or can i see hearted songs by genre or album?

And i think it cant create playlists by self. right?

Heart symbol explanation: You can add song to "Favorites" playlist, there it shows up as list of songs.

You can create playlists directly on player(of course little limited), or more easily over HiBY Link app on your phone.

Does anyone have a clue why the sound is completely different between 'OFF' mode on the EQ (airy, big and 15db louder) and the 'EQ RESET' mode on the EQ (bassy and small - better for some of my crappy harsh IEM's)?
They both have the same flat graph obviously .

Once you enable EQ(move from OFF position), output volume is lowered and it sounds little different, even if the EQ settings looks like flat line. That's just the way HiBy software does it. Also EQ reset is mainly choice to reset all changes that were done to custom or preset EQ curves.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Feb 14, 2018 at 7:23 AM Post #2,137 of 2,460
Does anyone know's how to load and save cover images on Hibby Music app?

Only covers I get are the ones from the current playing song.

I don't think that's possible. Getting a list of text (all the file names), is easy enough....but to send a ton of album art would require quite a bit more processing power and time

Feb 14, 2018 at 12:47 PM Post #2,138 of 2,460
Just noticed something strange. Not sure if this is an effect of the latest firmware as I haven't tested it out with previous versions....but when connected to an external DAC, the M2s can still change the volume. @Shanling shouldn't volume be disabled? Changing the Gain setting also results in a volume change

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2018 at 2:38 PM Post #2,139 of 2,460
Just noticed something strange. Not sure if this is an effect of the latest firmware as I haven't tested it out with previous versions....but when connected to an external DAC, the M2s can still change the volume. @Shanling shouldn't volume be disabled? Changing the Gain setting also results in a volume change

The same thing was noted in one of the Cayin threads with the latest Hiby firmwarre , I believe. Firmware bug.

Feb 15, 2018 at 6:29 AM Post #2,140 of 2,460

The exact same thing happened to me when I paired it up with my nano bl. Btw Theo, I found a way to properly connect the two. Power up the nano bl and the m2s while the cable is connected. Then remove the cable from the m2s and a message will appear, wait for it to go back to the home screen. Then reconnect the cable again, this time it says that an audio device connected wait again for the home screen. You can now use the combo perfectly. Hth

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #2,141 of 2,460
@Shanling I'm loving the scroll wheel on firmware 3.1! It's actually enjoyable to use now. So happy that my bluetooth request was also implemented. Thank you. It is evolving into a gripe-free DAP! The only thing that would make this perfect was if it had coax out, but I asume this is a hardware issue so I won't even go there.

I do have another question/request regarding the single letter BT indicator (A or S). Is there a way to differenciate between SBC and native AAC being streamed to the BT receiver? I wanted to know if my supposed AAC compatible BT receiver is actually receiving AAC or is it really receiving an SBC signal? It just says 'S' while playing AAC. My knowledge on Bluetooth is slim at best so any info would probably educate me greatly.

Feb 15, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #2,142 of 2,460
As far as i know the bluetooth on M2S only supports the SBC (s) and APT-X (a) codecs, so no AAC. That’s why you see S when you connect to your receiver as there is no AAC support so it reverts to the SBC codec.

Feb 15, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #2,143 of 2,460
Really? Thats... Disapointing. It seems strange for a hi-res audio player to ommit the best codec (potentially no lossy to lossy conversion cos AptX is still lossy, as I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, I am no expert on the matter!) for the bluetooth platform (with the exception of AptX HD and LDAC). In that case, why wouldn't it employ AptX when streaming AAC? Bluetooth was the only reason I chose AAC as my preferred lossy codec. I know for sure my bluetooth receiver is capable of AptX and this feature is definitely enabled on my M2s.

Feb 15, 2018 at 9:25 PM Post #2,144 of 2,460
Really? Thats... Disapointing. It seems strange for a hi-res audio player to ommit the best codec (potentially no lossy to lossy conversion cos AptX is still lossy, as I understand. Correct me if I'm wrong on this, I am no expert on the matter!) for the bluetooth platform (with the exception of AptX HD and LDAC). In that case, why wouldn't it employ AptX when streaming AAC? Bluetooth was the only reason I chose AAC as my preferred lossy codec. I know for sure my bluetooth receiver is capable of AptX and this feature is definitely enabled on my M2s.

If the recieving device is indeed capable of accepting the AptX format, then I would suggest doing this to see if it perhaps sorts the issue out:

1. Go into the M2s Settings
2. Enter bluetooth
3. Turn Bluetooth on
4. Ensure that the "High Quality" setting is set to OFF
5. Restart the M2s
6. Now head back to the Bluetooth settings and turn High quality to ON
6. Restart the M2s again
7. Connect it to your chosen device and see if there's and "A" in the top bar when streaming to the chosen device.

Out of curiosity, which device are you streaming to?

Feb 15, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #2,145 of 2,460
If the recieving device is indeed capable of accepting the AptX format, then I would suggest doing this to see if it perhaps sorts the issue out:

1. Go into the M2s Settings
2. Enter bluetooth
3. Turn Bluetooth on
4. Ensure that the "High Quality" setting is set to OFF
5. Restart the M2s
6. Now head back to the Bluetooth settings and turn High quality to ON
6. Restart the M2s again
7. Connect it to your chosen device and see if there's and "A" in the top bar when streaming to the chosen device.

Out of curiosity, which device are you streaming to?

@TheoS53 that did trick! There's a capital 'A' in the top right now. I assume it's 'A' for AptX, not AAC...
I'm using an Elecom LBT-PAR500. Since it's Elecom, might be a Japan only model, maybe?

It really looks as though theres no support for AAC over Bluetooth. This is a little gripey, but don't get me wrong, I lurrrve this little player. It's SO capable that i forget it's a little budget player and start to get a bit greedy! It's a testament to how good this player is, so please read these complaints as compliments. A convoluted contradiction, I know... Anybod else feel the same?

@Shanling can u confirm there's no support for AAC over Bluetooth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back