Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Jul 10, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #1,171 of 2,460
#abitdeef, I didn't realize that you were able to compare them, since you wrote in your review that you didn't have the N3 on hand to compare, so I guess you got one in the meanwhile. I haven't had a chance to try the M2s either, for that matter, so I'll wait until that happens to update my thoughts.

Unless I'm in another alternate reality I've never reviewed the m2s I've just posted some thoughts, and I sold the n3 to my brother so I have compared them side by side quite a bit when I visited and the results were exactly as I remembered them.

Jul 10, 2017 at 6:07 PM Post #1,172 of 2,460
I'm so sorry, I mixed you up with #PinkyPowers. My bad!

Jul 10, 2017 at 8:17 PM Post #1,175 of 2,460
I never understand why in all reviews there are things mentioned "unfair comparison because of different price range". There are no major difference between in sound "quality" between a 100$, let's say XDuoo X3 or a so-called "flagship" like A&K SP1000. They all use the same bunch of componets off the shelf. Measurable differences usually not directly result in audible differences. Yes, there are differences in tuning but that depends on eberybody's preferences. Differences are in
materials, functionalities, usability and -most important- branding. People hapily spent 2 or 3k for an A&K just to own a A&K. If your budget is 2k for a DAP and headphones you achieve much better results by allocating 80% of the budget for your headphones or IEMs. Don't get fooled by nonsense "features" like a copper housing (unless you like the look) which by the way in terms of material justifies approx. 3 to 4 dollars difference in price compared to stainless steel or aluminium.

I am extremely happy with my M2s coming from a Cayin i5, although I still find it a tad too warm for my personal preference. Still didn't try it with the ifi iE Match.

Jul 10, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #1,176 of 2,460
I never understand why in all reviews there are things mentioned "unfair comparison because of different price range". There are no major difference between in sound "quality" between a 100$, let's say XDuoo X3 or a so-called "flagship" like A&K SP1000. They all use the same bunch of componets off the shelf. Measurable differences usually not directly result in audible differences. Yes, there are differences in tuning but that depends on eberybody's preferences. Differences are in
materials, functionalities, usability and -most important- branding. People hapily spent 2 or 3k for an A&K just to own a A&K. If your budget is 2k for a DAP and headphones you achieve much better results by allocating 80% of the budget for your headphones or IEMs. Don't get fooled by nonsense "features" like a copper housing (unless you like the look) which by the way in terms of material justifies approx. 3 to 4 dollars difference in price compared to stainless steel or aluminium.

I am extremely happy with my M2s coming from a Cayin i5, although I still find it a tad too warm for my personal preference. Still didn't try it with the ifi iE Match.

I'll answer your question with a question... "Why choose a Rolex over a Timex? They both tell time with relative accuracy

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 11:04 PM Post #1,177 of 2,460
I'll answer your question with a question... "Why choose a Rolex over a Timex? They both tell time with relative accuracy
So to use your analogy...people buy a Rolex because it tells time BETTER than a Timex?

I get why people don't WANT to compare a $100 device to a $1000 device, because they might actually find out there is not a $900 difference in the quality of sound. I agree with BartSimpson on this one. Why can't we compare them? It IS apples to apples. Sure one might have better everything, and sure it might sound a little better, but why does that mean you can't compare the two?!?!? I am by no means one who buys the cheap audio stuffs because I believe all 1's and 0's sound the same, far from it. But, I do like to be real with myself. Do I need a AK380cu? No. Would I want one? Sure. But when an Opus #1 gets awesome reviews about its sound, and they perform the same duties, I will buy the one that is 1/10th the price of the other.

Jul 10, 2017 at 11:55 PM Post #1,178 of 2,460
People hapily spent 2 or 3k for an A&K just to own a A&K. If your budget is 2k for a DAP and headphones you achieve much better results by allocating 80% of the budget for your headphones or IEMs. Don't get fooled by nonsense "features" like a copper housing (unless you like the look) which by the way in terms of material justifies approx. 3 to 4 dollars difference in price compared to stainless steel or aluminium.

Ah, this is the never ending question - i think people still opt for the higher priced items because of 2 things - "Spending power" and "Preference" - that's all to it.

Do I need a AK380cu? No. Would I want one? Sure. But when an Opus #1 gets awesome reviews about its sound, and they perform the same duties, I will buy the one that is 1/10th the price of the other.

Awesome! Same thinking here!

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2017 at 6:34 AM Post #1,179 of 2,460
So to use your analogy...people buy a Rolex because it tells time BETTER than a Timex?

I get why people don't WANT to compare a $100 device to a $1000 device, because they might actually find out there is not a $900 difference in the quality of sound. I agree with BartSimpson on this one. Why can't we compare them? It IS apples to apples. Sure one might have better everything, and sure it might sound a little better, but why does that mean you can't compare the two?!?!? I am by no means one who buys the cheap audio stuffs because I believe all 1's and 0's sound the same, far from it. But, I do like to be real with myself. Do I need a AK380cu? No. Would I want one? Sure. But when an Opus #1 gets awesome reviews about its sound, and they perform the same duties, I will buy the one that is 1/10th the price of the other.

the answer to my query (and you highlighted it quite eloquently) is that its all a matter of choice and preference. People of means don't always go top shelf and people who are value conscious don't go that route all the time either. I don't know if you are old enough to remember the pet rock craze of the 70's, but if you are you will understand. if you weren't, here is what I mean.

People bought rocks that were deemed "pets". Some of these pets cost more than others. Why you ask? Because someone figured out that people would buy a more expensive rock. now any sane person at the time wouldn't have bought a pet rock, if they wanted one they would pick one up off the ground, clean it up and paint a face on it and be done. yet people still bought pet rocks. eventually like all fads... the pet rock craze died and disco was born.

there are exhaustive studies on human behavior and companies use that knowledge to assist in marketing and selling their products (the interwebs and social media have made it easier). If you notice, I didn't come down on either side of the argument. all I did was pose a question.

As for the Shanling M2. I am considering purchasing one, and will probably buy it to use while I workout. it is a reasonably priced device that offers features that will let me enjoy my favorite music while I sweat like a hog. the big bonus for me is I wont have to fear hurting that $200 device because it would be easier (on both the wallet and the brain) to replace than if I use my Lotoo PAW Gold Diana Edition.

Jul 11, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #1,180 of 2,460

As a matter of fact, a Timex, since it uses a quartz oscillator, tells time much more accurately than a Rolex. But we are all forgetting what is the driving force in play when it comes to these kind of puchases: brand recognition, aka STATUS!

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #1,181 of 2,460
As a matter of fact, a Timex, since it uses a quartz oscillator, tells time much more accurately than a Rolex. But we are all forgetting what is the driving force in play when it comes to these kind of puchases: brand recognition, aka STATUS!

Not necessarily true. Quartz crystals are fairly stable, but not absolute. That's why quartz watches have adjustable trim caps in them. Also, temperature affects quartz crystals.

I have some Seiko quartz watches that are damn-near perfect in their timekeeping. I have other quartz watches that are less accurate than my worst mechanicals. There is no steadfast rule.

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:35 AM Post #1,182 of 2,460

Not necessarily true. Quartz crystals are fairly stable, but not absolute. That's why quartz watches have adjustable trim caps in them. Also, temperature affects quartz crystals.

I have some Seiko quartz watches that are damn-near perfect in their timekeeping. I have other quartz watches that are less accurate than my worst mechanicals. There is no steadfast rule.

I obviously didn't drive my point home...:ksc75smile:

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #1,183 of 2,460
Ha ha when I was a young lad about a hundred years ago Timex watches were all the rage, because they took a licking and kept on ticking :) I still remember the metal twistoflex bands that used to come with them and pinch the crap out of your wrist.

On the value thing I guess I'll say that value is conceived by the buyer in other words if it's worth the price to you you'll purchase it. Sort of like someone buying a rare pokemon card for 10 grand, to MOST people that Would be a horrible value. Personally I'm with Bart on the dap issue, opus 1 is a good example and so are m2s and n3 if you want a really small portable dap. They do what they're supposed to very well and are priced competitively. Also agree iems and headphones are better investments towards sound quality.

Anyways thanks for bringing up Timex watches and let me wax nostalgic. I miss a lot about those days :) like holidays that didn't start months and months ahead. In other words you didn't see Christmas stuff out until AFTER Thanksgiving nor any Christmas music till December. It made everything much more special\enjoyable imo, more isn't always better.

And we actually trick or treated for Halloween on the 31st, no matter what day it was and we actually did it at night when it was dark! Can you believe that? Lol. There's no fun going at 3 in the aftrenoon, I feel sorry for today's kids besides being little whiney brats they miss out on a lot of fun, like dirt clod fights and swimming in the creek, hell my neighbors kids don't even leave their yard, and I don't think my brothers kids leave the Xbox.

Ok I'm done lol

Jul 11, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #1,184 of 2,460
Just wrote this to my colleagues on a iem testing panel: "When I started using my first desktop computer, back in 1978, I asked myself how did I do it before? Same thing happened a couple of years later with my first fax machine, and another few years later with my first portable phone, then cellphone, etc. etc. I wanna go back on a sailboat with none of that crap, (xcept my DAP and headphones, of course!)'
Glad I'm not the one old kid on the block.
Cheers #abitdeef!

Jul 11, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #1,185 of 2,460
Just wrote this to my colleagues on a iem testing panel: "When I started using my first desktop computer, back in 1978, I asked myself how did I do it before? Same thing happened a couple of years later with my first fax machine, and another few years later with my first portable phone, then cellphone, etc. etc. I wanna go back on a sailboat with none of that crap, (xcept my DAP and headphones, of course!)'
Glad I'm not the one old kid on the block.
Cheers #abitdeef!

:) I didn't mean to ramble on lol. But I mean even when I was 7 and 8 I was all over the place - in the woods exploring, the strip mines exploring and even old grave yards. I hunted for arrow heads in the plowed corn fields started fires lol shot stuff with my bb gun and later with my 22 and later with my 4/10 and 12 gage. I don't even like hunting but I liked to target shoot and all my folks had guns. All this stuff is around even where I live now, there are nice woods and the kids are afraid of them. You couldn't keep me in the house on a nice day.

I loved boy scout summer camp, we take my nephews down to the lake and they sit in the rv most of the time, it has Wi-Fi. :frowning2: Of course there wasn't any electronics back then, I got an am radio when I was 11 or so and it only had one mono earpiece. Lol but I used to listen to it when I was supposed to be sleeping ha ha.

I had to chase a chipmunk out of my neighbors garage he was literally terrified of it ( he's probably 28) I laughed I couldn't help it. And I thought he was going to pass out when I was cleaning my grandfathers old Browning under and over on the porch and he saw it, he was like is that real? He said he's never seen a gun that close, I tried to hand it to him ( unloaded of course ) and he wouldn't take it, and went back inside lol.

Different times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back