Shanling M2s Hi-Res DAP with AK4490 + MUSE8920, Bluetooth, & USB Out
Jul 9, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #1,156 of 2,460
It's such a long time to charge the player. Maybe it is obvious but did you try another different charger or cable? Maybe the wire is damaged or the charger don't works properly. Remember the player use a 2A charger so if you use a standard USB port (0.5A) charge time will be increased two or three times. Hope to be helpful.
Thanks. I charged using standard USB port. So it's better to purchase a charger. Interesting that purchasing M2s I asked the seller about charger and received information that only USB charging is recommended and of course, they don't offer any chargers...

Jul 9, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #1,157 of 2,460
Thanks. I charged using standard USB port. So it's better to purchase a charger. Interesting that purchasing M2s I asked the seller about charger and received information that only USB charging is recommended and of course, they don't offer any chargers...

As a rule of thumb, I am charging everything in my home from my smartphone charger, regardless of the recommended settings. Worked like a charm so far, never had a single problem. Can't wait to test M2s actually!

Jul 9, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #1,159 of 2,460
A little preview shot from my forthcoming review...

M2s & HD6XX 01.jpg

This little guy has some serious oomph behind it. Sounds great with my Sennheisers.

Jul 9, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #1,160 of 2,460

Yep as the others said any usb wall charger will work, well as long as it's 1 amp and above. The stronger the amp rating the faster the charge. I use the 3 amp one from my tablet and my charge takes about an hour and a half. Too bad I can't get mojo to charge as fast :frowning2:

Jul 9, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #1,162 of 2,460
I will be interested in how well you guys think the m2s pairs with the 99 classics. I want a pair of those :)

Pairs very well. Very very well.

Hopefully I'll have my review up tomorrow night, and in said review will be a section on that pairing.

Jul 10, 2017 at 2:19 PM Post #1,165 of 2,460
Jul 10, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #1,167 of 2,460
Control of M2s with the scroll wheel works like a charm. And UI works out of the box. I would have only very minor suggestions for further firmwares.
N3 I found a bit mire troublesome to navigate. And remember that support for N3 will probably abandoned on the day Cayin launches a new DAP. That's what
happened to the i5.
Yes, controls of the N3 are a little cumbersome, but this is very easily overcome by installing the new firmware (2.0) and the latest version of HiBy music with HiByLink on your android smartphone. With that, you can just keep the N3 in your pocket and control it through the HiBy UI on your phone via BT. The M2s has the same functionality too. Yet, the sound qualities of the N3 are amazingly good, imo, the sound is clear, transparent, dynamic, open and powerful. Just check the many reviews around (including my own). The one review I just read on the M2s on theHeadphoneList, as good as it is, doesn't give the M2s as high marks in the sound department as in everything else. Before making a final choice, I suggest to compare the two, if you have a chance to do so.

Jul 10, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #1,168 of 2,460
Yes, controls of the N3 are a little cumbersome, but this is very easily overcome by installing the new firmware (2.0) and the latest version of HiBy music with HiByLink on your android smartphone. With that, you can just keep the N3 in your pocket and control it through the HiBy UI on your phone via BT. The M2s has the same functionality too. Yet, the sound qualities of the N3 are amazingly good, imo, the sound is clear, transparent, dynamic, open and powerful. Just check the many reviews around (including my own). The one review I just read on the M2s on theHeadphoneList, as good as it is, doesn't give the M2s as high marks in the sound department as in everything else. Before making a final choice, I suggest to compare the two, if you have a chance to do so.

I had both n3 and m2s and I thought they sounded very close, I actually liked the highs on the m2s better than the n3. I did think the soundstage and warmth was better on the n3 but again not night and day. I will say the build quality on m2s is quite a bit better as I managed to scratch the plastic screen (I thought the controls more responsive without the screen protector on) and managed to scratch off some of the pleather backs black coloring off by just daily use, It was white underneath and I used a black marker to cover those spots. I ended up selling the m3 to my brother because of the finicky controls. I Don't want to use hiby link every time I used my dap, and with m2s I don't have to.

Anyways there are pros and cons to any dap, just don't think there is a huge sound difference between them, because really they're isn't much.

And by less warmth I mean the m2s sounded a bit thinner than the n3, but still very good and of course if you pair it with mojo as I do you get an almost perfect footprint to the mojo with m2s.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2017 at 5:41 PM Post #1,169 of 2,460
#abitdeef, I didn't realize that you were able to compare them, since you wrote in your review that you didn't have the N3 on hand to compare, so I guess you got one in the meanwhile. I haven't had a chance to try the M2s either, for that matter, so I'll wait until that happens to update my thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back