Shanling M1s - Ideal Compact Portable Player
Mar 6, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #301 of 947
Mar 6, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #302 of 947
Man I didn’t think it’ll be this large. Probably better to just get a used m3x.
Well, according to the specs the difference is as expected: 43.8x45x13.8 vs 72x69x16 - and m1s weights 3 times more. After also taking into an account lack of the clip, the cost & the sum of expected capabilities, I am more and more starting to look towards qudelix-5k, which is going to cost about the same as m1s (after taxes and such), but with an addition of excellent portability, better battery, many unique features, and a sound over BT which most people cannot distinguish from the one over the cable.

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #303 of 947
+1 on this

Man I didn’t think it’ll be this large. Probably better to just get a used m3x.
it is only slightly larger than the Q1 which I have no issues holding or using. I think the thin bezel makes it seem bigger than it really is compared to the Q1 which has the much thicker zinc alloy shell.

Mar 6, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #304 of 947
Ups, did not expect that the M1 is that much larger than the M0...
Everything looks big when compared to M0, that's the point of M0 :)

M1s is around the size of Q1, just lighter. M1s is shorter, but wider than Q1. And on photos, I find the cut-out shape of M1s makes it look bigger than it feels in hand.

For one-hand controls, in default setting (buttons above screen), I find it perfect for use in left hand. In right hand, I think it's also decent, just need to use my pointer/middle finger for the volume. I personally don't like it much with screen flipped upside-down.

b87d9055ef0661d09d65967b25bea8e.jpg82babf1af5738e116b97f60715571c1.jpg

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 6, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #305 of 947
I can see myself inverting the unit and using it "upside down."

There is actually a setting in the menu to flip the display 180 degree.

How do the two compare when it comes to sound? Any significant difference?

M0 Pro's SQ is pretty decent on its own. M1s is better, but not twice as good. M0 Pro is slightly titled toward a warmish presentation, while M1s is more neutral'ish. The biggest deference I can detect with my ears so far is that the balanced output on the M1s is better in resolution and soundstage than its SE output, where its SE output is closer to that of M0 Pro.

Ups, did not expect that the M1 is that much larger than the M0...

The thickness and blocky design does makes M1s feel a little chucky..

Mar 6, 2023 at 9:46 PM Post #306 of 947
Everything looks big when compared to M0, that's the point of M0 :)

M1s is around the size of Q1, just lighter. M1s is shorter, but wider than Q1. And on photos, I find the cut-out shape of M1s makes it look bigger than it feels in hand.

For one-hand controls, in default setting (buttons above screen), I find it perfect for use in left hand. In right hand, I think it's also decent, just need to use my pointer/middle finger for the volume. I personally don't like it much with screen flipped upside-down.

The wheel is on the right side on the M0 Pro so why did you put it on the left side on the M1S? 87% of the world is right handed so I never understood the logic in designing a DAP that operates best in the left hand. If you put the wheel on the right side if you wanted the buttons on the bottom the wheel could still be operated with your fingers. Now if you want the buttons on the bottom it is hard to use the wheel with your thumb being on the bottom. Maybe it is just me but it seems intuitively backwards.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 1:07 AM Post #308 of 947
M0 Pro's SQ is pretty decent on its own.
Mmmmm interesting, I don't really use balanced too much anymore as I mostly use big cans and mojo2.
I have a few buds and a few iems that's it , and use on the go rather than sit down...maybe I will go mo pro for size convenience.

Maybe not ....decisions.

Mar 7, 2023 at 3:44 AM Post #309 of 947
Well, according to the specs the difference is as expected: 43.8x45x13.8 vs 72x69x16 - and m1s weights 3 times more. After also taking into an account lack of the clip, the cost & the sum of expected capabilities, I am more and more starting to look towards qudelix-5k, which is going to cost about the same as m1s (after taxes and such), but with an addition of excellent portability, better battery, many unique features, and a sound over BT which most people cannot distinguish from the one over the cable.
I’m probably getting a Q5K too ( for trying PEQ) though being an IOS user AAC makes me feel I’m loosing out on things.

Wanted to use airplay with m1S as that’s 24bit-48khz ( I think ).

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #310 of 947
This thread is making me feel even better about my M3 Ultra purchase. Likewise the Sony NW-A306 thread.
I am only still coming back because I don't want an android DAP and the M0 Pro screen is just to small. I know there are options from Hiby and Hidzs but having owned other Shanling DAP's I am more comfortable with the devil I know. If I end up getting the M1S I will probably disable the buttons if possible and only use the wheel to turn the unit on. I am concerned about the ease of accidental button presses when in my pocket with the front mounted buttons.

Mar 7, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #311 of 947
I am concerned about the ease of accidental button presses when in my pocket with the front mounted buttons.
Mp3 players had front-facing buttons for as long as we had iPods, Cowons, Sansa clips, iRivers, etc.

Of course M1s offers an option for button lock, if you worry about this.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Mar 7, 2023 at 8:26 PM Post #312 of 947
Mp3 players had front-facing buttons for as long as we had iPods, Cowons, Sansa clips, iRivers, etc.

Of course M1s offers an option for button lock, if you worry about this.
yes but they aren't that common since the advent of touchscreens and I haven't owned once since 2014 and I got use to and prefer rightside mounted controls. Having to lock the buttons limits use when in your pocket. I don't have this issue with any of my DAP's with side mounted buttons.

Again can you provide the name and contact details for the international distributor so I can get some idea of where and when I can order one.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #313 of 947
Again can you provide the name and contact details for the international distributor so I can get some idea of where and when I can order one.
Looking forward for your impressions when you finally get one. Living vicariously through you.

Mar 8, 2023 at 1:21 AM Post #314 of 947
Personally I don't care about the small things so much...functional, stable, audio quality are what matters most and mostly why I'm here it needs to be pocketable...
I also have owned quite a few small daps , mo original ( I washed it ) ... hidisz ap80pro which was nice too but a bit sterile sounding. ... hiby r3 sabre which was also good but something about it's sound was a bit off for me ( maybe not as detailed) .
So I'm back here sort of following the thread.
I would like to hear more about sound on both more than anything as there doesn't seem to be much conversation or reviews on either , although I understand m1s is very new to the table.
More audio reviews/opinions please and I promise when I purchase one of the two I will add my modest opinion :relaxed:.
One thing that actually does annoy me with shanling and it's the only thing is distribution in Europe, I'm in the UK and it's a pain getting these. One distributor who by the way shanling they charge more on all there products than any other!
Of course I'm willing to buy abroad , China etc and often do but it's a pain if things go wrong.
Anyway look forward to more honest audio opinions good or bad .

Design on m1s look's fine to me :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back