Shanling M1s - Ideal Compact Portable Player
Mar 3, 2023 at 9:48 AM Post #271 of 949
It's more confusing when 2 things are announced like m0 pro and m1s yet m0 pro has the normal release channels albeit a bit late and m1s has well whatever is going on with it.
Based on my audio sales experience when a product is being distributed like this outside of normal channels it usually means the normal distributors didn't think it would sell and took a pass. Oh wait, that sounds like another conspiracy theory... my bad. :scream: @Shanling feel free to chime in on the decision to only use one international distributor.

The M1S is kind of in a gray area, not a true traditional high end DAP (not android) but also not a budget offering either like the M0 Pro. Audiophiles on this thread may see the merits of it but it may be a tougher sell in the real world. If you want a small inexpensive but really good sounding DAP buy the M0 Pro but if you want a true high end DAP go for the M3 Ultra or other model and pay a little or alot more. The front mounted buttons are polarizing as well and also may not appeal to the mass market.

Basically right now @Shanling is saying we don't know where it will be sold and we don't no when it will be available. But it's an amazing DAP and you should really get one if you can find it and you don't mind waiting an unknown period of time. I would like to know if Shanling will be providing units to reviewers or is that also in the hands of the lone international distributor?

Mar 4, 2023 at 4:38 AM Post #273 of 949
Based on my audio sales experience when a product is being distributed like this outside of normal channels it usually means the normal distributors didn't think it would sell and took a pass. Oh wait, that sounds like another conspiracy theory... my bad. :scream: @Shanling feel free to chime in on the decision to only use one international distributor.

The M1S is kind of in a gray area, not a true traditional high end DAP (not android) but also not a budget offering either like the M0 Pro. Audiophiles on this thread may see the merits of it but it may be a tougher sell in the real world. If you want a small inexpensive but really good sounding DAP buy the M0 Pro but if you want a true high end DAP go for the M3 Ultra or other model and pay a little or alot more. The front mounted buttons are polarizing as well and also may not appeal to the mass market.

Basically right now @Shanling is saying we don't know where it will be sold and we don't no when it will be available. But it's an amazing DAP and you should really get one if you can find it and you don't mind waiting an unknown period of time. I would like to know if Shanling will be providing units to reviewers or is that also in the hands of the lone international distributor?
Frankly at that point it is better not to make that product at all. Hiby has started shipping the R2 gen II while this product is still mysterious, if it being sold at all (yeah it is not head to head but the size is pretty equivalent I think). Would be better off optimizing Q1S then trying to release M1S I think.

Mar 4, 2023 at 5:54 AM Post #274 of 949
you complain when you haven't even given a cent for this DAP.
You don't even know if it's going to work for you, or if you're going to buy it at all.... but you are already "bitter" for nothing.
It's not available yet, that's okay. Just be patient, see the first tests.
If you are in a hurry, look for another option.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #275 of 949
If you want to run conspiracy theories, I would recommend starting Twitter.

This is outright rude :thumbsdown:

It is clear to us all that by any standards, Chinese included, Shanling have totally messed up this launch.

Apparently the "official distributor" has no plans to sell M1s outside of China :smiling_imp:

Please confirm.

Mar 4, 2023 at 6:44 AM Post #276 of 949
You don't even know if it's going to work for you, or if you're going to buy it at all.... but you are already "bitter" for nothing.
Many of us are in this thread because we did intend to buy. The delay drove me to purchase two other Shanling devices.

People are miffed that the launch date was pushed back so much, especially when compared to the m0 pro. It’s simply an issue of communication. I don’t think anyone is “bitter” because of it.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 7:08 AM Post #277 of 949
Hard to pay any cents for a DAP when it isn't available to buy. As for working for me it doesn't take much to figure out as it is a basic DAP. Does it have enough power to drive your headphones? Yes Does it have the features you want, these are already announce so again Yes. So not really a question of will it or won't it work for me, as long as everything works without issues. We have been patient for going on 5 months since it was announced, how long do we need to be patient for?

Mar 4, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #278 of 949
Many of us are in this thread because we did intend to buy. The delay drove me to purchase two other Shanling devices.

People are miffed that the launch date was pushed back so much, especially when compared to the m0 pro. It’s simply an issue of communication. I don’t think anyone is “bitter” because of it.
Exactly, it doesn't halp that Shanling refused to reveal any info about the DAP for so long and answered passive aggressive to the community, that doesn't build a fan base just frustration.

Mar 4, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #279 of 949

Based on @Shanling revealing the single international distributor this could be about actually finding a distributor as much as any production issues. You can't really move forward with an official release if you can't find a distributor. If the M1S doesn't sell well out of the gate due to lack of distribution might we see a price drop come say Black Friday? I for one hope it does do well so Shanling keeps selling the MTouch DAP's despite this clumsy initial release.

Mar 4, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #280 of 949
Who say I haven't given any cent, I have purchased it from Hifigo the moment it is available, even considering purchasing the one from Aliexpress if Hifigo cancel it. But with how suddenly Shanling says no they are not the right distributor and then acknowledging that they already start sales in China it is downright frustrating and worrying. I might not even receive the product with the expected ETA, especially Hifigo suddenly remove the product page. Do Shanling actually prevent seller from China to ship internationally due to agreement with this so called distributor? Having exclusive right or some other agreement?

I did purchase M0 Pro and I like it, that's why I want to give M1S a chance but it seems I won't receive it soon or worse have to wait their so called International Distributor to sell first before I received from Hifigo. The comment from Shanling doesn't help either and it is actually worrying. Why so secretive about the product even though the product page already appearing on the main site.
edit: English is not my first language, sorry for the grammar/spelling error.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 10:40 AM Post #281 of 949
Who say I haven't given any cent, I have purchased it from Hifigo the moment it is available, even considering purchasing the one from Aliexpress if Hifigo cancel it. But with how suddenly Shanling says no they are not the right distributor and then acknowledging that they already start sales in China it is downright frustrating and worrying. I might not even receive the product with the expected ETA, especially Hifigo suddenly remove the product page. Do Shanling actually prevent seller from China to ship internationally due to agreement with this so called distributor? Having exclusive right or some other agreement?

I did purchase M0 Pro and I like it, that's why I want to give M1S a chance but it seems I won't receive it soon or worse have to wait their so called International Distributor to sell first before I received from Hifigo. The comment from Shanling doesn't help either and it is actually worrying. Why so secretive about the product even though the product page already appearing on the main site.
edit: English is not my first language, sorry for the grammar/spelling error.
Yes distribution rights can be tricky depending on the terms Shanling gave the international distributor. It could be that Shanling had to guarantee the distributor exclusive rights for sales outside of Asia or at least China. It could also be that they simply have to wait for full world wide release before allowing Chinese sellers to to sell internationally. Only @Shanling can say for sure if he is willing to. Worst case maybe we'll be able to order it from Japan for example if the exclusion is China only. Just one more question that needs to be answered.

Mar 4, 2023 at 10:43 AM Post #282 of 949
Who knows? that's the problem, is it just going to be a Chinese release since it's not going to be on Amazon? So if you want it you're going to have to go through an unauthorized seller on Ali express? Or one of the other Chinese sites like Linsole audio or Shenzenaudio?

Mar 4, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #283 of 949
Who knows? that's the problem, is it just going to be a Chinese release since it's not going to be on Amazon? So if you want it you're going to have to go through an unauthorized seller on Ali express? Or one of the other Chinese sites like Linsole audio or Shenzenaudio?
If Shanling is willing to give the name of the Distributor we could try to contact them directly since they are operating independently of Shanling. I have contacted Canadian distributors in the past when manufacturers can't provide me information about product availability. Not holding my breath it will be sold in Canada.

Edit: keep in mind this distributor whoever it is would only agree to distribute it if they were confident they had dealers willing to carry it so I doubt that will be the case. As always it is all about the sales. I have to believe there are dealers selling Shanling products already that would take a flyer on the M1S. The other thing is warranty claims and possibly returns will likely have to go through the distributor and not the seller. Distributors often take the warranty burden off of the sellers to entice them to carry certain products. My experience is that Distributors are very helpful if they think they can make a sale so if we can contact them directly I imagine they will be willing to help as much as possible if you express interest in buying the product.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2023 at 11:21 AM Post #284 of 949
If Shanling is willing to give the name of the Distributor we could try to contact them directly since they are operating independently of Shanling. I have contacted Canadian distributors in the past when manufacturers can't provide me information about product availability. Not holding my breath it will be sold in Canada.

True, but my excitement is waning, and I'm really enjoying my a306. Even though it's a bit pricey I'm loving the battery, size and sound. I did really want to check this out, but only if I could buy on Amazon.

Mar 4, 2023 at 11:44 AM Post #285 of 949

Users who are viewing this thread

Back