Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Oct 12, 2016 at 8:56 PM Post #646 of 3,480
Oct 13, 2016 at 2:25 AM Post #648 of 3,480
got my M1 yesterday with a case.. didn't have much time to use it but I did test out the basic functionalities and I was pretty impressed!

the packaging and presentation was top notch, and holding the player in my hands it felt solid and made of good quality materials.. the scroll/volume wheel turned with a good amount of resistance that didn't make it feel cheap.

I didn't perform any detailed listening with earphones as I intend to use this with my Mojo so I'm waiting for the firmware update and my OTG cable to arrive. But I tested it with my Naim MuSo speaker using bluetooth and it connected to the speaker just fine and could work from a good distance away.

The one gripe I have so far in my short time with this player is that the leather case does not have cutouts for the buttons, so it covers all the buttons and the fit is currently a bit snug such that a light press on the areas where the case covers the buttons causes a press to be registered.. basically with the case on the buttons become very sensitive to touch.. but hopefully the case would loosen up eventually and this issue would go away.

Now to wait for the firmware that allows USB-out!

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:03 AM Post #649 of 3,480
  How do you speed through many tracks and how fast is it?  Any letters (A,B,C,D,etc.) for artist or album when scrolling?

Zippy is the impression. It's arranged in alphabetical orders but you can't pick which alphabet to skip to. However, there's a directory under My Music in the main screen which allows you to perform quick access to My Favourites, Albums, Artists, Genre and Playlists.

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:05 AM Post #650 of 3,480
  Here's quick and dirty initial impressions on M1

Spent the last 2 hours listening to M1 with the following iems

Flat 4-Sakura Plus
Hidition NT-6
AKT8ie MKII
JH Roxanne

Also compared M1 with the iems above with Hugo + AK100 MKII. Except for Roxanne, the other 3 iems sounded very identical if not very close on M1 and Hugo. As for Roxanne, I am getting a perceived bass bloat and congested soundstage with M1. Roxanne appears to have a veil on the treble with M1 compared to Hugo.

Regardless of the source, Roxanne is the warmest, veiled and the last when it comes to detail retrieval and clarity among the group. (Bass pot is already at the position with the highest bass attenuation.

Disclaimer: The comparison is made without proper volume matching and is sighted. So take my impressions with a grain of salt. I also used only 1 track (Back In Black - ACDC).

The player sounds better after 24hrs of run in. Let's hear from your impressions again after this.

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:10 AM Post #651 of 3,480
  So, I am really interested in buying this little piece of wonders.
I am wondering about a few things:

1. General sound impressions so far? Bassy, natural sound?
2. Compared to the much cheaper but still wonderous Sansa Clip, how does it sound? Is it a good upgrade?
3. Can you delete files and folders from the card?
4. Can you create your own playlists? Can you save them?
5. Does it use unicode in displaying the metadata of the songs? I am wondering if it can handle greek characters.
6. Do you think that there is something else in this price range that is similarly sized and similarly equipped that I should be buying instead of this?
7. IEMs like the OnePlus Icons would be a good match for this?

Sorry for the many questions, but my budget is limited and I need to make a good investment after my Sansa died (finally).

Thanks guys.

This is a warm sounding players.
Sandisk Sansa was nice for it's time but you'll find M1, though bigger and heavier, a world of difference. In fact I've just thrown away my Sansa which I found it while doing spring cleaning. Too bad didn't take a picture of it.

Oct 13, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #652 of 3,480
  The one gripe I have so far in my short time with this player is that the leather case does not have cutouts for the buttons, so it covers all the buttons and the fit is currently a bit snug such that a light press on the areas where the case covers the buttons causes a press to be registered.. basically with the case on the buttons become very sensitive to touch.. but hopefully the case would loosen up eventually and this issue would go away.

I'm also finding the snug fit annoying, especially, when I need to take it out so I can change SD cards. I wish the case has cut-outs for the buttons and the SD-card slot. But the demo unit I played with has a case which is a bit loose. So this will not be a problem given time for sure.

Oct 13, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #653 of 3,480
Hey guys...
I've been browsing around and I find everywhere that the normal price of the device is ~135 € - 140 €.
BUT
I found out that there is a hidden offer!
If you search at aliexpress from your phone with the aliexpress app, there is an offer for 116 € !!!

There are other sellers with multiple buys. Do you think that this seller is worth buying from?

Also, there is the option of ebay. In ebay you have also money back guarantee in case something goes completely wrong.

Which one would you prefer?
Do you believe that all these sellers sell original devices (it seems like they do)?

Oct 13, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #654 of 3,480
Don't save money on the wrong place, is what I would advise in this case. I have learned if something sound too good to be true, it's almost a trap (not always sure, but mostly it is sadly). But I don't think there is any "fake M1" anywhere, I would only think about how you get your money back, if nothing gets delivered ever to your end.

So if you have a option with paypal or a other legit paying method to get your money safely back, go for it.

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:09 PM Post #655 of 3,480
  Don't save money on the wrong place, is what I would advise in this case. I have learned if something sound too good to be true, it's almost a trap (not always sure, but mostly it is sadly). But I don't think there is any "fake M1" anywhere, I would only think about how you get your money back, if nothing gets delivered ever to your end.

So if you have a option with paypal or a other legit paying method to get your money safely back, go for it.

Actually Ali frequently discounts items through the app. It's their way of promoting it.

It's only 20eur less anyway and on taobao it's 699cny which is abour 95eur.

Oct 13, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #657 of 3,480
Hey guys...
I've been browsing around and I find everywhere that the normal price of the device is ~135 € - 140 €.
BUT
I found out that there is a hidden offer!
If you search at aliexpress from your phone with the aliexpress app, there is an offer for 116 € !!!

There are other sellers with multiple buys. Do you think that this seller is worth buying from?

Also, there is the option of ebay. In ebay you have also money back guarantee in case something goes completely wrong.

Which one would you prefer?
Do you believe that all these sellers sell original devices (it seems like they do)?

I think the last time i looked at Ali express the cheapest offer was without case whereas the higher offer included the leather case.

Oct 13, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #658 of 3,480
For those in europe who don't want to handle issues with customs; Zococity has the M1 in stock and item is shipped from spain;
https://zococity.es/shanling-m1

I just ordered mine from there

Oct 13, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #659 of 3,480
  For those in europe who don't want to handle issues with customs; Zococity has the M1 in stock and item is shipped from spain;
https://zococity.es/shanling-m1

I just ordered mine from there

Have you used them before?

It works out about £20 more from there, but I suppose the saving is in the time (you would think that spain to uk would be quicker!)and no taxes to pay.

Thanks

Oct 13, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #660 of 3,480

Users who are viewing this thread

Back