Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Oct 12, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #634 of 3,480

Will do maybe this weekend when I get the chance. I only tried NT-6 and Flat 4-Sakura+ so far and I have not find any fault with M1.  

I don't detect any issues with amp power. M1 can drive iems and high-sensitivity headphones just fine. The interface reminds me of Fiio X series (except X7). However, I wish the font size is adjustable. My aging eyes find it difficult to read the default font size.

One of my wife's was whether there's any selection available for the font size. The other nag point is the test of patience if the album I pick is at the bottom of the directory.

Fortunately, the wife (it was bought for her) likes the sound signature very much while she found the Cayin i5 sounding congested. She also loves to strap the player to her wrist all day. Her Chinese made 5BA+1Dynamic CIEM likes M1 too. While I always thought the iPhone 6 plus sounds bassy, she finds that the M1 actually has more bass than the iPhone.

I also found out that the player was correct that files were not found due to file corruption. It seems this particular Sandisk Ultra of mine gets file corruption very easily. Other than that it doesn't play ISO files. Not a deal breaker though.

Oct 12, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #636 of 3,480
Same with the Hidizs AP60 - quite some features not working in the 1st released firmware,
especially the USB / DAC ones.

I'll wait until the software is more settled and the USB modes are working properly,
you know pioneers always take the arrows....
wink.gif

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #637 of 3,480
Here's quick and dirty initial impressions on M1

Spent the last 2 hours listening to M1 with the following iems

Flat 4-Sakura Plus
Hidition NT-6
AKT8ie MKII
JH Roxanne

Also compared M1 with the iems above with Hugo + AK100 MKII. Except for Roxanne, the other 3 iems sounded very identical if not very close on M1 and Hugo. As for Roxanne, I am getting a perceived bass bloat and congested soundstage with M1. Roxanne appears to have a veil on the treble with M1 compared to Hugo.

Regardless of the source, Roxanne is the warmest, veiled and the last when it comes to detail retrieval and clarity among the group. (Bass pot is already at the position with the highest bass attenuation.

Disclaimer: The comparison is made without proper volume matching and is sighted. So take my impressions with a grain of salt. I also used only 1 track (Back In Black - ACDC).

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #638 of 3,480
So, I am really interested in buying this little piece of wonders.
I am wondering about a few things:

1. General sound impressions so far? Bassy, natural sound?
2. Compared to the much cheaper but still wonderous Sansa Clip, how does it sound? Is it a good upgrade?
3. Can you delete files and folders from the card?
4. Can you create your own playlists? Can you save them?
5. Does it use unicode in displaying the metadata of the songs? I am wondering if it can handle greek characters.
6. Do you think that there is something else in this price range that is similarly sized and similarly equipped that I should be buying instead of this?
7. IEMs like the OnePlus Icons would be a good match for this?

Sorry for the many questions, but my budget is limited and I need to make a good investment after my Sansa died (finally).

Thanks guys.

Oct 12, 2016 at 10:56 AM Post #639 of 3,480
So, I am really interested in buying this little piece of wonders.
I am wondering about a few things:

1. General sound impressions so far? Bassy, natural sound?
2. Compared to the much cheaper but still wonderous Sansa Clip, how does it sound? Is it a good upgrade?
3. Can you delete files and folders from the card?
4. Can you create your own playlists? Can you save them?
5. Does it use unicode in displaying the metadata of the songs? I am wondering if it can handle greek characters.
6. Do you think that there is something else in this price range that is similarly sized and similarly equipped that I should be buying instead of this?
7. IEMs like the OnePlus Icons would be a good match for this?

Sorry for the many questions, but my budget is limited and I need to make a good investment after my Sansa died (finally).

Thanks guys.

Sounds neutral, slightly thin and bright, not major defect, great for the price.

Never heard the sansa

Don't think you can delete

Yes handles Playlists, will have to check how it works

Not sure about Greek but no problem on my albums

No competition in this size and price and UI quality

No idea, but should work with any iem.

Oct 12, 2016 at 11:09 AM Post #640 of 3,480
so ive been catching up on this thread, why on earth would they release this with some of the advertised features not working? It dosent make sense to me especially when said  features were working in a beta release.

Is it a case that Shanling want the customers to be testers?  

If the firmware wasnt ready for release why not delay release a week or two to get it right

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #641 of 3,480
so ive been catching up on this thread, why on earth would they release this with some of the advertised features not working? It dosent make sense to me especially when said  features were working in a beta release.

Is it a case that Shanling want the customers to be testers?  

If the firmware wasnt ready for release why not delay release a week or two to get it right

Because of competition. Other brands announced daps with nearly same specs so they wanted to be one step ahead. Because of that they have pretty big stock problem.

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:58 PM Post #644 of 3,480
We are asking so much questions but I need to ask before buy it. This questions can be stupid, I am sorry for that.

I don't have Mojo. Does M1 worth as a stand alone DAP? Because right know M1 is $20 cheaper than FiiO X3II. Which one should I buy?
I am using T-Peos H200 but thinking about an upgrade. What kind of sound signature I need for mostly hard rock, symphonic metal (female vocals), RnB etc. for M1? Also I want a a wide sound stage as far as possible. Can you recommend an IEM around $300?

Oct 12, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #645 of 3,480
Sounds neutral, slightly thin and bright, not major defect, great for the price.

Never heard the sansa

Don't think you can delete

Yes handles Playlists, will have to check how it works

Not sure about Greek but no problem on my albums

No competition in this size and price and UI quality

No idea, but should work with any iem.

Here is a link with greek metadata... Could you try it please?
The only thing that bothers me then is if it can delete... Could you confirm? Is it possible that on upcoming firmware it will have this option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back