Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Oct 11, 2016 at 7:30 PM Post #616 of 3,480
Care to share initial impressions of M1? Thinking of running it straight out on Roxanne's.

Will do maybe this weekend when I get the chance. I only tried NT-6 and Flat 4-Sakura+ so far and I have not find any fault with M1.  

I don't detect any issues with amp power. M1 can drive iems and high-sensitivity headphones just fine. The interface reminds me of Fiio X series (except X7). However, I wish the font size is adjustable. My aging eyes find it difficult to read the default font size.

Oct 11, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #618 of 3,480
Will do maybe this weekend when I get the chance. I only tried NT-6 and Flat 4-Sakura+ so far and I have not find any fault with M1.  

I don't detect any issues with amp power. M1 can drive iems and high-sensitivity headphones just fine. The interface reminds me of Fiio X series (except X7). However, I wish the font size is adjustable. My aging eyes find it difficult to read the default font size.
You can add this :D

14922264397_da77c14692_b.jpg

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:28 AM Post #620 of 3,480
Gotten mine from Jaben Singapore, wonderful replacement for my failing Clip+. Currently pairing it with Yamaha EPH100
Very fast startup and music loading, am using a SanDisk Ultra with mostly FLAC 16-bit files.

Anyone use it as a DAC with Windows 7 yet? It complain that it is unable to start the device and no drivers found. Direct connection to mobo with either USB2/3 ports, no luck. USB mode is set to DAC btw.

Just a minor quirk, switching Screen Locked Operations to 'Off', locks the screen when it's off when it should be doing the opposite (Correct me if I'm wrong). It took me a while to figure out why it wasn't locking operations when I had it to 'On'. I don't see the little lock icon on my clock screen in either mode, but I did see it on the demo set.

Oct 12, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #621 of 3,480
Just a minor quirk, switching Screen Locked Operations to 'Off', locks the screen when it's off when it should be doing the opposite (Correct me if I'm wrong). It took me a while to figure out why it wasn't locking operations when I had it to 'On'. I don't see the little lock icon on my clock screen in either mode, but I did see it on the demo set.

Screen Locked Operations means you can operate the buttons even though the screen is locked. So yes, you have to set it to On to operate the M1 when the screen is locked.

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #622 of 3,480
  does it work perfectly? no glitch or any other bugs?
and also, can it play dsd natively via mojo?
thx

I think there is still no DSD out yet and will downsample to 88.2
From article http://post.smzdm.com/p/494987/?be_invited_by=6677337195 DoP is not supported with current firmware.

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:51 AM Post #623 of 3,480
A few minor quirks I noticed in the Beta firmware, nothing major, just FYI Shanling

If you turn off the M1 while it is connected to the Mojo, even if the Mojo is turned off, the M1 will turn back on. So you have to unplug the cable to turn it off.

When you put the resume mode on, when you turn the M1 back on, the song turns starts to play immediately, I think it would be much better to save the song but not stary play.

When you turn the M1 on the first time the screen is upside down for a few seconds.

Oct 12, 2016 at 2:58 AM Post #624 of 3,480
Can anyone comment on screen visibility in direct sunlight?

Oct 12, 2016 at 3:01 AM Post #625 of 3,480
A few minor quirks I noticed in the Beta firmware, nothing major, just FYI Shanling

If you turn off the M1 while it is connected to the Mojo, even if the Mojo is turned off, the M1 will turn back on. So you have to unplug the cable to turn it off.

When you put the resume mode on, when you turn the M1 back on, the song turns starts to play immediately, I think it would be much better to save the song but not stary play.

When you turn the M1 on the first time the screen is upside down for a few seconds.

Agree!

Can anyone comment on screen visibility in direct sunlight?

Looks damn bright to me. If it wasn't Autumn in Oregon, I'd test it in the sun. Unfortunately, it's cloudy, cloudy, cloudy from here on out...

Oct 12, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #626 of 3,480
Anyone use it as a DAC with Windows 7 yet? It complain that it is unable to start the device and no drivers found. Direct connection to mobo with either USB2/3 ports, no luck. USB mode is set to DAC btw.

See here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/816385/shanling-m1-an-ipod-nano-competitor-dap-usb-dac-usb-transport-bluetooth-4-0-aptx-dsd/555#post_12921660

Oct 12, 2016 at 5:07 AM Post #629 of 3,480
On the pictures it seems like the M1's profile doesn't actually fit the Mojo at all. Plus it's impossible to use rubber bands to tie them together... I might pass on this and wait for the mojo card reading module if it ever arrives.

Oct 12, 2016 at 5:28 AM Post #630 of 3,480
On the pictures it seems like the M1's profile doesn't actually fit the Mojo at all. Plus it's impossible to use rubber bands to tie them together... I might pass on this and wait for the mojo card reading module if it ever arrives.
It fits perfectly and leaves access to the Mojo buttons. What more do you want? Anyways your problem not mine.

93f9e34e_IMG_20161012_162205.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back