Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Oct 24, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #890 of 3,480
  I think somebody said the sound was a bit thin with these.  Do those of you who have these agree?  Is it possible that may be related to the beta firmware, if true at all? 

I wonder what the US price will end up being once these ship in volume.  I hope more like $110-120 not $150.   At that price they would be a shoo in for my gym bag.

The M2 is officially $250 but one good Amazon vendor (Gemini) has them for $199.  That vendor is not an official Shanling vendor; but their service and support was good in my case.

Bright yes. But by no means thin. Perhaps it is because the player has a W shaped sound quality that may give the impression of thin sounding. The resulting sound is highly addictive which you'd be tempted to raise the volume as it sound even better when played loud.

But such sound signature doesn't like certain phones like my GR07 bass edition which has a V shaped characteristics and amplifies both ends to no ends, negating the very good mid and details.

To this end, it is still important to keep in mind this is not a high end player. It is good mid, fine details and a more natural sounding high than my Cayin i5. But it just doesn't have the power, at least not so great with my UERR.

That's why I hook up E17k (side by side comparison with Mojo and I still like this little Fiio, sorry Mojo fans) to my iPhone while I'm at my desk and the M1 while out and about.

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:16 PM Post #891 of 3,480
  Exactly. These are called Digital Audio Players after all, not just Digital Music Players. While I understand and agree that the primary emphasis should be on music playback, other uses should not be ignored and neglected. Versatility and choice should be the watchwords of any equipment which is focused so sharply on personal use.

If you want versatility, nothing beats your smartphone. As for audiobooks, the earpods are actually overkill with your phone. I don't necessarily disagree to have as many features as possible in a DAP. But music playback should be the priority. Especially, with M1's form factor. Shanling don't have the resources as Apple so they need to devote their time improving Music playback and features that would improve music playback experience.

Speaking of which, @Shanling I just tried to plug in M1 to my Benchmark DAC2. M1 detects the connection for a few seconds then reboots. I'm using the beta firmware. Any idea if this is supposed to work in future updates?

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:43 PM Post #892 of 3,480

If you want versatility, nothing beats your smartphone. As for audiobooks, the earpods are actually overkill with your phone. I don't necessarily disagree to have as many features as possible in a DAP. But music playback should be the priority. Especially, with M1's form factor. Shanling don't have the resources as Apple so they need to devote their time improving Music playback and features that would improve music playback experience.

Speaking of which, @Shanling I just tried to plug in M1 to my Benchmark DAC2. M1 detects the connection for a few seconds then reboots. I'm using the beta firmware. Any idea if this is supposed to work in future updates?

I agree about smartphones but the big screens which are integral to their versatility also introduce an element of fragility and bulk that something like the M1 does not suffer from. Not sure what you mean by 'earpods'. That music playback should be the priority with the M1 and other daps is something I said myself, yet at the same I think modern dap producers, almost without exception, are severely imbalanced with regards to hardware development vs software development: excellent hardware is common, excellent software is rare. I think most manufacturers would do well to devote more resources to software development, and not just be satisfied with basic functionality and stability, these things are fundamental and necessary, and until they are achieved should be the priority, but it's not in the long term interests of either the manufacturers nor the customers to be satisfied with just that. Such an attitude is ultimately and artificially limiting to the true potential of this technology.

Oct 24, 2016 at 11:44 PM Post #893 of 3,480
  Bright yes. But by no means thin. Perhaps it is because the player has a W shaped sound quality that may give the impression of thin sounding. The resulting sound is highly addictive which you'd be tempted to raise the volume as it sound even better when played loud.

But such sound signature doesn't like certain phones like my GR07 bass edition which has a V shaped characteristics and amplifies both ends to no ends, negating the very good mid and details.

To this end, it is still important to keep in mind this is not a high end player. It is good mid, fine details and a more natural sounding high than my Cayin i5. But it just doesn't have the power, at least not so great with my UERR.

That's why I hook up E17k (side by side comparison with Mojo and I still like this little Fiio, sorry Mojo fans) to my iPhone while I'm at my desk and the M1 while out and about.

I don't know what you mean my W-shaped. To me a thin sounding DAP is indicative of a flat or neutral FR. Which is good. It lets your phone show it's true colors (or absence on it). M1 is like that. I agree M1 tends to shine at high volume. I always set the gain to high. 

UERR is just a difficult load for M1. It has low sensitivity for an iem. However, most iems i tried sounds great with M! alone including the most resolving I have tried so far which is the NT-6. 

For an ultra-portable setup imo nothing beats an M1 + your favorite iem or a sensitive headphone. 

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:00 AM Post #894 of 3,480
  I agree about smartphones but the big screens which are integral to their versatility also introduce an element of fragility and bulk that something like the M1 does not suffer from. Not sure what you mean by 'earpods'. That music playback should be the priority with the M1 and other daps is something I said myself, yet at the same I think modern dap producers, almost without exception, are severely imbalanced with regards to hardware development vs software development: excellent hardware is common, excellent software is rare. I think most manufacturers would do well to devote more resources to software development, and not just be satisfied with basic functionality and stability, these things are fundamental and necessary, and until they are achieved should be the priority, but it's not in the long term interests of either the manufacturers nor the customers to be satisfied with just that. Such an attitude is ultimately and artificially limiting to the true potential of this technology.

I have the same rant about DAPS when it comes to Hardware + software. Almost every boutique DAPs have the same Achilles heal which is software. I had iBasso's and Fiio, iPods, Sony and AKs. The ones I end up keeping are the ones that have excellent UI/software. 

At first I was able to tolerate iBasso and Fiio DAPs but after several years. Nothing changed. They still have the same problems software-wise as they had from their first DAPs. Funny thing is bugs that were fixed on earlier updates tend to come back on later updates. So I got sick and had enough of a FW carousel and decided not to explore any more DAPs. Just ridiculous to see most manufacturers charged for so much money with a buggy and lame software. 

To be fair Fiio had things in order with their X5/X3 series. I just can't take how their X7 is plague with annoying bugs. I think it's a case of getting too fancy and too much of what they can handle.

To me what AK does is good. Very simple and intuitive interface. No glaring bugs that would make me pull my hair out. Although they are still charging too much for a DAP especially on their flagships. I only get AKs used or at deep discounts. Otherwise, I think they have a good balance of hardware + software for a DAP.

As for M1, it reminds me of Fiio X5. It has similar wheel interface as the X5 and works out of the box. If Shanling fixes the minor glitch when shutting down M1 while connected to an external DAC and make it work with DAC2 then I'm all set.

Oct 25, 2016 at 12:17 AM Post #895 of 3,480

I have the same rant about DAPS when it comes to Hardware + software. Almost every boutique DAPs have the same Achilles heal which is software. I had iBasso's and Fiio, iPods, Sony and AKs. The ones I end up keeping are the ones that have excellent UI/software. 

At first I was able to tolerate iBasso and Fiio DAPs but after several years. Nothing changed. They still have the same problems software-wise as they had from their first DAPs. Funny thing is bugs that were fixed on earlier updates tend to come back on later updates. So I got sick and had enough of a FW carousel and decided not to explore any more DAPs. Just ridiculous to see most manufacturers charged for so much money with a buggy and lame software. 

To be fair Fiio had things in order with their X5/X3 series. I just can't take how their X7 is plague with annoying bugs. I think it's a case of getting too fancy and too much of what they can handle.

To me what AK does is good. Very simple and intuitive interface. No glaring bugs that would make me pull my hair out. Although they are still charging too much for a DAP especially on their flagships. I only get AKs used or at deep discounts. Otherwise, I think they have a good balance of hardware + software for a DAP.

As for M1, it reminds me of Fiio X5. It has similar wheel interface as the X5 and works out of the box. If Shanling fixes the minor glitch when shutting down M1 while connected to an external DAC and make it work with DAC2 then I'm all set.

Indeed it was the speed and stability of the M1 that really got my attention. For that to be the case out of the gate is almost unheard of, though it isn't their first dap, it's still to be commended. Look at what Fiio did with the X1ii, and after so much experience accumulated from previous daps, it's not really excusable except to show that their attitude towards software is as immature as their software itself. so I think there is potential at Shanling to have a more serious approach to the total user experience, and not be satisfied just selling pretty boxes, the end users won't be, so neither should the manufacturers.

Oct 25, 2016 at 1:43 AM Post #898 of 3,480
Not really bright, a little bit thin. But I never listen to it alone so that is from memory.

I can see thin as opposed to a fuller sounding DAP, but I'm not getting bright. That's not something I'd tolerate, but I can listen to M1 alone just fine.

Trying out M1 + Shanling H3 DAC/Amp + Nighthawk tonight. Seeing how the family gets along :wink:

Oct 25, 2016 at 3:20 AM Post #899 of 3,480

I don't know what you mean my W-shaped. To me a thin sounding DAP is indicative of a flat or neutral FR. Which is good. It lets your phone show it's true colors (or absence on it). M1 is like that. I agree M1 tends to shine at high volume. I always set the gain to high. 

UERR is just a difficult load for M1. It has low sensitivity for an iem. However, most iems i tried sounds great with M! alone including the most resolving I have tried so far which is the NT-6. 

For an ultra-portable setup imo nothing beats an M1 + your favorite iem or a sensitive headphone. 

I disagree. Thin sounding is neither flat nor neutral. And this, the M1, is not. It has pronounced high treble, the mid sits slightly above neutral and a prominent lower bass. The mid highs and mid lows have been pushed back making it sounding less fatiguing but that's the W shape I am describing.

But if we go by your argument, then the UERR must be thin sounding which it is not by a long short. Yes there is a slightly more bass presence but it's as good as a neutral pair of iems as earphones can go and just as Jude puts it:" ... Sort of sonic palate cleanser for me.." And then he went on to voice his view on neutrality which I agree with him.
View his clip here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1s2RIep-rc

The sensitivity is low for average iems but still it's 100db and as far as in-ears go, it is still considered sensitive enough. In return, there is a lot of detail retrieval thanks to the much wider than average frequency response of 5-25khz which the M1 is capable of fulfilling, compensating for it's lack of left and right sound stage by giving more depth and the louder the better proving it's not yet another haphazardly slapped on music play thing. That's also the reason why I am waiting for my second set to arrive this week. :wink:

Oct 25, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #900 of 3,480
  I disagree. Thin sounding is neither flat nor neutral. And this, the M1, is not. It has pronounced high treble, the mid sits slightly above neutral and a prominent lower bass. The mid highs and mid lows have been pushed back making it sounding less fatiguing but that's the W shape I am describing.

But if we go by your argument, then the UERR must be thin sounding which it is not by a long short. Yes there is a slightly more bass presence but it's as good as a neutral pair of iems as earphones can go and just as Jude puts it:" ... Sort of sonic palate cleanser for me.." And then he went on to voice his view on neutrality which I agree with him.
View his clip here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1s2RIep-rc

The sensitivity is low for average iems but still it's 100db and as far as in-ears go, it is still considered sensitive enough. In return, there is a lot of detail retrieval thanks to the much wider than average frequency response of 5-25khz which the M1 is capable of fulfilling, compensating for it's lack of left and right sound stage by giving more depth and the louder the better proving it's not yet another haphazardly slapped on music play thing. That's also the reason why I am waiting for my second set to arrive this week. :wink:

You are describing what you hear from an iem not the FR response of a DAP. If M1 or any DAP shape is a W as you described. Then that is a problem. At least for me. It means it add too much color. I don't find this the case again with NT-6. Only a slightly loose bass when I compared it to Hugo for instance. But detail and treble extension is pretty much similar.

To put UERR into perspective it is only neutral until you find something else that is more neutral :) A slight bass presence alone makes it warm in comparison to NT-6. So if you consider UERR neutral then NT-6 must be thin. So it's a matter of perspective I guess.

I disagree that detail retrieval has anything to do with extended FR (5-25khz). Remember audibilityt is just between 20Hz to 20Khz. It's about the db level at certain FR points that gives the illusion of more or less detail. My NT-8 can only extend as far as 18Khz but it can convey music with much more clarity and detail than the UERR I tried.

Also remember M1 does not have a powerful amp as other DAPs. So in this context a 100dB sensitity is already a difficult load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back