Shanling M1: An iPod Nano Competitor / DAP || USB DAC || USB Transport || Bluetooth 4.0 + aptX || DSD
Jan 3, 2017 at 9:05 PM Post #1,846 of 3,480
Shanling M1 is on Massdrop now for $128, just in case some of you don't want to do the overseas thing or are uncomfortable with that.

And they should be, because I've been waiting over 7 weeks for mine now from Ali
rolleyes.gif

Jan 3, 2017 at 9:17 PM Post #1,847 of 3,480
Got a question for the experts.    On my Shanling M2, when I put the unit on pause, and it goes to sleep or shut down, it restarts on the last tune.

I believe I set the M1 to do the same, but when I restart it after it has gone to sleep it comes up on the now playing menu.  But that seems to be a series of various playing options but not the track and folder where I left off.

Where I am going wrong?

I have tried "reading that fine manual" but it is not clear where I have messed up.

Firmware 1.11.

Jan 3, 2017 at 10:59 PM Post #1,848 of 3,480
  Got a question for the experts.    On my Shanling M2, when I put the unit on pause, and it goes to sleep or shut down, it restarts on the last tune.

I believe I set the M1 to do the same, but when I restart it after it has gone to sleep it comes up on the now playing menu.  But that seems to be a series of various playing options but not the track and folder where I left off.

Where I am going wrong?

I have tried "reading that fine manual" but it is not clear where I have messed up.

Firmware 1.11.

Does changing "Play Settings > Resume Mode" not do what you expect?

Take Care,
David Baldock

Jan 3, 2017 at 11:28 PM Post #1,850 of 3,480
  No.  That is why I am asking the question.

Well, on my M1, I was playing a track -

"SD Card / Christmas / Marsalis, Winton / 1989 - Crescent City Christmas Card / 1-10 [Marsalis, Winton] Winter Wonderland.flac"

- for some friends last Friday evening.  I paused it during the track, and shut off the power.  When I turned it back on today, and pressed "Play", it started playing the track at the location where it had been paused.  The "Resume Mode = Location" on my M1.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Jan 4, 2017 at 1:50 AM Post #1,851 of 3,480
Shanling M1 is on Massdrop now for $128, just in case some of you don't want to do the overseas thing or are uncomfortable with that.

That's a pretty good rate! If you get it straight from China without a middleman it would still cost around the same. I got a bundled microSD for the same money but that's a different story :)

Hope more people find out about it.

Jan 4, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #1,852 of 3,480

I just purchased a new M1 yesterday here in Tokyo and that was basically what E-earphone is charging.  It included the leather case, but none of the interconnects I`ve seen in other people`s pictures here....   Great little unit so far.  Loaded up a 200gb card and it read it in seconds.  

I really wish I could figure out how to increase the micro-font ! 

Jan 5, 2017 at 7:21 AM Post #1,853 of 3,480
Does this player show all the music in one entire list when you navigate to My Music? Or do I have to browse via sdcard if I want to do that? Browse by sdcard only seems to display the music by its file name. Is there any option to browse all the songs listed by its metadata? Because that would save me a ton of trouble renaming all my music.

Jan 5, 2017 at 8:59 AM Post #1,854 of 3,480
So I`ve been using the M1 for several hours over the past two days, and want to share some impressions, coming from AK120ii, PlenueD, iBasso DX50 and Sansa Clip+RB: 

Positives:

- Sound is exceptionally good, impressive detail, really impressed by the sound and really enjoying the unit. 
- The interface is solid, the menus and buttons are totally well implemented and feel high quality.  The thing simply works and I haven`t found a single bug or area of sloppiness/beta-ness anywhere.  Even the album art looks gorgeous...
- The behavior with the 200gb sansa microSD has been super fast, no lag, no glitches.  

Negatives (or things I haven`t figured out yet)

- With 200gb of music files, it is a VERY long scroll through all the artists or albums.  Quite a PITA, actually.  Is there a way to jump through the list, or is the scroll wheel the only way to move through the files? 

- The font is too small to be useful for me : I need to be able to just glance at the screen and select tracks or functions; at this tiny size, I really have to look closely, which takes time, which I don`t have if I want to use this while navigating the crowded-with-zombies Tokyo transportation systems, or while running. 

- I want some way to return to the Now Playing screen without pushing the back button numerous times, for example if I go to the EQ settings during playback. I`m spending too much time moving around the menus.  They menus are good, I just think it would simple to implement some button short cuts, for example, long-pressing the back button returns to Now Playing. 

- With the scroll wheel flush against the back of the unit, I can`t find a way to mate the M1 with my two portable dac-amps.  It`s basically unusable the way a lot of people show it in photos, sitting flat against a mojo or whatever. 

If anyone knows of any shortcuts or other/hidden functionalities please share. 

Jan 5, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #1,855 of 3,480
  So I`ve been using the M1 for several hours over the past two days, and want to share some impressions, coming from AK120ii, PlenueD, iBasso DX50 and Sansa Clip+RB: 

Positives:

- Sound is exceptionally good, impressive detail, really impressed by the sound and really enjoying the unit. 
- The interface is solid, the menus and buttons are totally well implemented and feel high quality.  The thing simply works and I haven`t found a single bug or area of sloppiness/beta-ness anywhere.  Even the album art looks gorgeous...
- The behavior with the 200gb sansa microSD has been super fast, no lag, no glitches.  

Negatives (or things I haven`t figured out yet)

- With 200gb of music files, it is a VERY long scroll through all the artists or albums.  Quite a PITA, actually.  Is there a way to jump through the list, or is the scroll wheel the only way to move through the files? 

- The font is too small to be useful for me : I need to be able to just glance at the screen and select tracks or functions; at this tiny size, I really have to look closely, which takes time, which I don`t have if I want to use this while navigating the crowded-with-zombies Tokyo transportation systems, or while running. 

- I want some way to return to the Now Playing screen without pushing the back button numerous times, for example if I go to the EQ settings during playback. I`m spending too much time moving around the menus.  They menus are good, I just think it would simple to implement some button short cuts, for example, long-pressing the back button returns to Now Playing. 

- With the scroll wheel flush against the back of the unit, I can`t find a way to mate the M1 with my two portable dac-amps.  It`s basically unusable the way a lot of people show it in photos, sitting flat against a mojo or whatever. 

If anyone knows of any shortcuts or other/hidden functionalities please share. 

I can answer one issue - try "Long Pressing" the Back Button, from anywhere in the Menus, to get back to Now Playing.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Jan 5, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #1,856 of 3,480
As far as the scrolling through long files goes, I have the same issue and will most likely break it up by folders like A-E, F-K, etc. in order to more quickly divide the list up to make it more manageable via folder searching.

Jan 5, 2017 at 12:18 PM Post #1,857 of 3,480
  As far as the scrolling through long files goes, I have the same issue and will most likely break it up by folders like A-E, F-K, etc. in order to more quickly divide the list up to make it more manageable via folder searching.

I've been tempted by this player for a while, but I just wonder if the scroll wheel will annoy me too much.

Jan 5, 2017 at 5:11 PM Post #1,858 of 3,480

I've been tempted by this player for a while, but I just wonder if the scroll wheel will annoy me too much.

One thing that works for me, is to place my music on the SD Card using this format -

"SD Card / [Genre] / [Artist Last Name, Artist First Name] / [Year] - [Album Title] / [Disc #]-[Track #] [[Track Artist Name(s)]] [Track Title].flac"

NOTE: The Track Artist Name(s) is saved to the Artist Tag, and is displayed under the Track Title on the Now Playing screen.  Due to the way that Tags are treated in JRiver Media Center 22, when there are multiple Artists on a Track, you can't use semicolons between names, because the software only saves the first name to the Tag.  I decided to use a caret ( ^ ) between last names, so both names show up in the Tag.  For example: When Ray Eberle is singing with the Glenn Miller Orchestra, the Track Artist Name(s) looks like - [Eberle^Miller] - and is displayed as Eberle^Miller on the M1 screen.

Take Care,
David Baldock

Users who are viewing this thread

Back