Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Apr 8, 2018 at 10:18 PM Post #286 of 6,413
Agreed. If I were a DAP maker like say Shanling or Cayin, I would want the software and firmware under my control.

If you want a good example of why this can also be a bad idea, look at Fiio. IMO, unless a DAP maker has the software expertise to doa proper job of the UI, it's best to outsource it.

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #287 of 6,413
If you want a good example of why this can also be a bad idea, look at Fiio. IMO, unless a DAP maker has the software expertise to doa proper job of the UI, it's best to outsource it.

That worked pretty well for the Shanling M1 and M2S in 2017 which are reasonably stable. I hope it will work for the Cayin N5II, which is effectively a 2018 product, but right now its just one step short of being fully stable.

Unfortunately, at the same time as Cayin put out a marvelous piece of hard in 2018, HiBy has become both a supplier to the industry and a competitor. In the long run, I think Shanling is making the right move to create their own software base. Maybe they can create a coalition with FIIO, Cayin, etc. to do what HiBy originally was doing. Please do not get me wrong; I would love to be wrong and have HiBy be just as invested in their firmware customers as in their own products. I just have not seen scenarios like this work out so well in the past.

Apr 8, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #288 of 6,413
That worked pretty well for the Shanling M1 and M2S in 2017 which are reasonably stable. I hope it will work for the Cayin N5II, which is effectively a 2018 product, but right now its just one step short of being fully stable.

Unfortunately, at the same time as Cayin put out a marvelous piece of hard in 2018, HiBy has become both a supplier to the industry and a competitor. In the long run, I think Shanling is making the right move to create their own software base. Maybe they can create a coalition with FIIO, Cayin, etc. to do what HiBy originally was doing. Please do not get me wrong; I would love to be wrong and have HiBy be just as invested in their firmware customers as in their own products. I just have not seen scenarios like this work out so well in the past.

Yeah it does seem like a bit of a conflict of interest, doesn't it?
I'm also all for manufacturers doing their own thing, but I much prefer functionality and stability over variety. So far the limited impressions seem to point towards the idea that Shanling have done a good job on their own with the M0..so let's wait and see how this pans out.

On a different note. I recently got my first Kindle, and I must admit that I'm really liking the e-ink display. I think what I like most is the simplicity, coupled with the excellent legibility. I wonder if we'll ever see DAPs using this type of display...maybe after some more R&D and once we can get e-ink to be truly full-colour.

Apr 9, 2018 at 12:22 AM Post #289 of 6,413
If I understood what I was told Shanlings M Touch OS has been in development for quite some time so the decision to do their own thing was thought out. In the 30 minutes I played with it I could not make it misbehave, it's very well done. That's not saying its perfect as I'm sure there may be a odd gesture somewhere. IMO it's the right long term decision.

Apr 9, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #291 of 6,413
Apr 9, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #294 of 6,413
Is there a way to use M0 as a source (connected to usb dac - mojo for example) and charge it (M0) at the same time?

May require assembling a custom USB-C to Micro-USB OTG cable.

I've got some cables that are the other way around - Micro-USB to USB-A OTG (which I connect a USB-C cable to), with a third leg that allows connecting a charger for the Micro-USB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back