Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
May 31, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #901 of 6,418
Here is how I have it set now while running battery test: Sleep timer off, Idle (auto-standby on, auto-shutdown off), screen off - 40s, Play mode on Repeat track. Have it on high gain, playing mp3 track on repeat with IEMs connected, at moderate listening volume. Got 12hrs on a single charge run, but it's not the best case scenario low gain/screen off type of test, since I had it on high gain, playing with settings, using LO with amp, and going back'n'forth between a few flac tracks as well. Will run a fresh battery test with a next full charge.

I have it plugged into a 2amp wall-charger, and so far, every time I've gone to check on it, it's been powered off, or locked-up, or something. Had to perform a reboot.

May 31, 2018 at 12:11 PM Post #902 of 6,418
Just added a little update with Line Out test results (paired up with E12A, updated Wired/Wireless section of the review, on the last page). Makes me wonder, since ESS DAC combines amp stage, if they actually bypass the amp to have a direct DAC output, instead of just raising volume up to the max. Either way, output is very clean, transparent, and no clipping.

thank You. I want to use m0 with external amp for 320ohm earbud / low sensitivity headphones . Nice to know the sound is clean and transparent. And even slightly better sounding from LO.

Looking for dealer who can provide local warranty here in my country.

May 31, 2018 at 12:13 PM Post #903 of 6,418
The past few days the touch screen issues on my M0 seems to have disappeared. Touchscreen is responding fine so far. But I think it can still be improved. Can't believe this is only $100. For it's size and supported features, it pretty much works well with any iem/headphones I used so far. I actually like my ATH-MSR7SE better on M0. I can say M0 is better than the M1 at least. I can't listen with my ATH-MSR7SE on my M1. With M0, it drives the headphone very well that I don't need to reach for my go to sources (LPG, QP2R, Hugo).

May 31, 2018 at 12:26 PM Post #904 of 6,418
The past few days the touch screen issues on my M0 seems to have disappeared. Touchscreen is responding fine so far. But I think it can still be improved. Can't believe this is only $100. For it's size and supported features, it pretty much works well with any iem/headphones I used so far. I actually like my ATH-MSR7SE better on M0. I can say M0 is better than the M1 at least. I can't listen with my ATH-MSR7SE on my M1. With M0, it drives the headphone very well that I don't need to reach for my go to sources (LPG, QP2R, Hugo).
Just wish it can read my own playlists

May 31, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #905 of 6,418
I have it plugged into a 2amp wall-charger, and so far, every time I've gone to check on it, it's been powered off, or locked-up, or something. Had to perform a reboot.
It is not recommended to play while charging (RE: Security Instruction #8, User Manual) Perhaps your issue is heat-related.

May 31, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #906 of 6,418
Just wish it can read my own playlists

So no loaded playlist support? I'm continually mystified by features that were standards of ten years ago, that are now not available (and rarely remarked upon by reviewers). It's like the manufacturers are spending all their effort on sound quality (good) while deleting all the code base of every MP3 player/PMP/DAP from the Creative line until 2016.

May 31, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #907 of 6,418
So no loaded playlist support? I'm continually mystified by features that were standards of ten years ago, that are now not available (and rarely remarked upon by reviewers). It's like the manufacturers are spending all their effort on sound quality (good) while deleting all the code base of every MP3 player/PMP/DAP from the Creative line until 2016.
This is a must for me. I hope they fix this

May 31, 2018 at 2:53 PM Post #909 of 6,418

I guess I recieved a defective unit...damn

Hmm, ghost screen action. The only thing I can suggest, when powered down try to clean the glass. It helped one person before, due to smudges and fingerprints. Otherwise, yeah, could be a defective unit.

May 31, 2018 at 4:22 PM Post #911 of 6,418

I guess I recieved a defective unit...damn

Have you tried a factory reset plus a reset using the small hole above the card slot? Worth a try.

May 31, 2018 at 5:58 PM Post #913 of 6,418
I'm new to this thread. The M0 looks very nice.

This may have been discussed before (and I will search), but I would be interested in SQ comparisons with the Radsone ES100,

May 31, 2018 at 7:29 PM Post #914 of 6,418
Another faulty M0 here. It was defective out of the box with the same 'ghost screen' issues shown above. It's like it's recording phantom screen presses and it's completely unusable, can't even go to the settings to update the firmware (if that is potentially the issue).

Another issue is that I shipped it to Australia from the Shanling store on the Amazon.com.au site. But it's all in Chinese. So even if I could use the screen, I would still struggle to change the language.

Pretty disappointed to be honest. Even if I get a replacement model that works, how long will it be until the screen issues reappear.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I tried the pinhole reset, but that didn't fix anything. Seems to be a hardware problem.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018 at 7:41 PM Post #915 of 6,418
Another faulty M0 here. It was defective out of the box with the same 'ghost screen' issues shown above. It's like it's recording phantom screen presses and it's completely unusable, can't even go to the settings to update the firmware (if that is potentially the issue).

Another issue is that I shipped it to Australia from the Shanling store on the Amazon.com.au site. But it's all in Chinese. So even if I could use the screen, I would still struggle to change the language.

Pretty disappointed to be honest. Even if I get a replacement model that works, how long will it be until the screen issues reappear.

EDIT: forgot to mention that I tried the pinhole reset, but that didn't fix anything. Seems to be a hardware problem.

That's really sad. You would be eligible for returns right?
I didn't know that shanling had a store on Amazon Australia. Have been getting stuffs from AliExpress which takes a while to get. I don't think people check Amazon much here is Australia, after the initial issues. With all the hype and Amazon didn't seem to offer much offers/discounts initially, but now I feel it's picking up now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back