Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Oct 16, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #6,272 of 6,418
A quick search of this thread shows last mention of MQA back in 2018 with @Shanling saying Shanling have no plans to implement it. Now that it's supported by other Shanling players is it likely that the M0 or even Q1 will get MQA support?

Also re my previous question about using M0 to send to BT headphones and using synclink at same time not being possible. Is this a hardware or software reason?

Also no matter what I try i\I can't get playlists to work when the playlist tracks are in more than one folder. Can anyone tell me the exact settings I need to change in my playlist creator. I have W10 or Mac. Foobar2000 or Mediamonkey. Cheers

Oct 16, 2021 at 11:56 PM Post #6,273 of 6,418
A quick search of this thread shows last mention of MQA back in 2018 with @Shanling saying Shanling have no plans to implement it. Now that it's supported by other Shanling players is it likely that the M0 or even Q1 will get MQA support?

Also re my previous question about using M0 to send to BT headphones and using synclink at same time not being possible. Is this a hardware or software reason?

Also no matter what I try i\I can't get playlists to work when the playlist tracks are in more than one folder. Can anyone tell me the exact settings I need to change in my playlist creator. I have W10 or Mac. Foobar2000 or Mediamonkey. Cheers

At the root level of the memory card in my M0, I've got this folder structure:

./Music
./Music/Big Band
./Music/Celtic
./Music/Christmas
./Music/Classical
./Music/Country
./Music/Easy Listening
./Music/Gospel
./Music/Hit Parade
./Music/Jazz-Blues
./Music/Musicals
./Music/New Age
./Music/Playlists
./Music/Pop
./Music/RenFaire
./Music/Songbook
./Music/Test CD
./Music/World

In the Playlists folder, one of the files is - Owain-Phyfe-Playlist-01.m3u

I use relative paths in all of my playlists, so here are some examples of the text lines in the file:

../RenFaire/New World Renaissance Band/1992 - Live the Legend/1-11 Fortune My Foe [New World Renaissance Band].flac
../RenFaire/New World Renaissance Band/1992 - Live the Legend/1-12 Depairt, Depairt [New World Renaissance Band].flac
../RenFaire/New World Renaissance Band/1992 - Live the Legend/1-13 Mon Coeur Se Recommande 'A Vous [New World Renaissance Band].flac
../RenFaire/New World Renaissance Band/1993 - Where Beauty Moves and Wit Delights/1-01 Fuggi, Fuggi, Fuggi [New World Renaissance Band].flac
../RenFaire/New World Renaissance Band/1993 - Where Beauty Moves and Wit Delights/1-02 In a Garden So Green [New World Renaissance Band].flac
../RenFaire/New World Renaissance Band/1993 - Where Beauty Moves and Wit Delights/1-03 Helas Madame [New World Renaissance Band].flac

There's no issue with my M0 playing the .flac files from one album folder to the next.

Oct 17, 2021 at 9:38 PM Post #6,274 of 6,418

There are zero plans to add MQA to M0 or Q1.

It's hardware limitations, M0 is unable to work at the same time as Bluetooth transmitter and receiver for SyncLink.

You just need to make sure your path structure is correct, for playlists there is no problem accessing files from different folders.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Oct 31, 2021 at 4:50 AM Post #6,275 of 6,418
Hi Shanling,

I recently bought the Shure aonic version 2 tws headphones. They are however not connecting with the M0 via Bluetooth. Often it connects for a second and then says connection lost. Occasionally it does connect but the shanling goes into receiver mode not transmitter mode so can't play any music from the M0. I have tried both the firmware 3.5 and 3.6 but both have the same problems. The model of the headphones I have is below. Interestingly the headphones do connect to the shanling m6 without any problems. Any suggestions to get them working with the M0.

https://www.shure.com/en-GB/products/earphones/aonic215

Thanks

Oct 31, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #6,277 of 6,418
Hi Shanling,

I recently bought the Shure aonic version 2 tws headphones. They are however not connecting with the M0 via Bluetooth. Often it connects for a second and then says connection lost. Occasionally it does connect but the shanling goes into receiver mode not transmitter mode so can't play any music from the M0. I have tried both the firmware 3.5 and 3.6 but both have the same problems. The model of the headphones I have is below. Interestingly the headphones do connect to the shanling m6 without any problems. Any suggestions to get them working with the M0.

https://www.shure.com/en-GB/products/earphones/aonic215

Thanks

Can only recommend to try to do factory reset on the Shure and firstly pair them with M0. And make sure that BT setting on M0 is to aptx or SBC.
Make sure SUncLink in settings is turned off.
There is nothing else to adjust on this.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Nov 1, 2021 at 4:05 PM Post #6,278 of 6,418
Can only recommend to try to do factory reset on the Shure and firstly pair them with M0. And make sure that BT setting on M0 is to aptx or SBC.
Make sure SUncLink in settings is turned off.
There is nothing else to adjust on this.
Thanks shanling sadly this did not help, maybe something for a future firmware update I hope.

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #6,280 of 6,418
At the root level of the memory card in my M0, I've got this folder structure:

./Music
./Music/Big Band
./Music/Celtic
./Music/Christmas
./Music/Classical
./Music/Country
./Music/Easy Listening
./Music/Gospel
./Music/Hit Parade
./Music/Jazz-Blues
./Music/Musicals
./Music/New Age
./Music/Playlists
./Music/Pop
./Music/RenFaire
./Music/Songbook
./Music/Test CD
./Music/World

In the Playlists folder, one of the files is - Owain-Phyfe-Playlist-01.m3u

I use relative paths in all of my playlists, so here are some examples of the text lines in the file:

../RenFaire/New World Renaissance Band/1992 - Live the Legend/1-11 Fortune My Foe [New World Renaissance Band].flac
../RenFaire/New World Renaissance Band/1992 - Live the Legend/1-12 Depairt, Depairt [New World Renaissance Band].flac
../RenFaire/New World Renaissance Band/1992 - Live the Legend/1-13 Mon Coeur Se Recommande 'A Vous [New World Renaissance Band].flac
../RenFaire/New World Renaissance Band/1993 - Where Beauty Moves and Wit Delights/1-01 Fuggi, Fuggi, Fuggi [New World Renaissance Band].flac
../RenFaire/New World Renaissance Band/1993 - Where Beauty Moves and Wit Delights/1-02 In a Garden So Green [New World Renaissance Band].flac
../RenFaire/New World Renaissance Band/1993 - Where Beauty Moves and Wit Delights/1-03 Helas Madame [New World Renaissance Band].flac

There's no issue with my M0 playing the .flac files from one album folder to the next.
Aplogies for belated reply. was having troubles with my email I use for this board :frowning2:
Thanks for the info, I eventually got everything to work as it should with a long day of trial and error with different format playlists and settings.
Now working like a dream

Nov 26, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #6,281 of 6,418
I've finally got round to using my Shanling M0 as a DAC. I'm using it with W10. In DAC mode. Im playing FLAC files using MediaMonkey5. I'm getting popping noises. I tried it without the drivers originally, and have just downloaded and installed the drivers. Rebooted connected, disconnected M0. Its my first time I've used a DAC on my PC so is there anything else I should be trying to eliminate the popping?
M0 direct to amp is fine, M0 playing to Bluetooth Headphones over LDAC is fine. Mediamonkey playing without M0 is fine.
I've tried the 3 different audio outputs in MediaMonkey, (Direct Sound)(WASAPI) and (waveout). Tried Foobar2000, VLC. Tried Youtube etc to rule out local file playback.
Tried changing all the variables on the M0 itself. Its on the latest firmware. v3.6. I've run out of ideas.

EDIT:
I've just tried with a different W10 laptop and the popping is a lot less noticeable, but it still does it. That laptop did not have the drivers installed.
Have been through everything on. this thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/serious-popping-clicking-with-usb-dac.638448/page-5 still no joy

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 1:16 PM Post #6,282 of 6,418
I've finally got round to using my Shanling M0 as a DAC. I'm using it with W10. In DAC mode. Im playing FLAC files using MediaMonkey5. I'm getting popping noises. I tried it without the drivers originally, and have just downloaded and installed the drivers. Rebooted connected, disconnected M0. Its my first time I've used a DAC on my PC so is there anything else I should be trying to eliminate the popping?
M0 direct to amp is fine, M0 playing to Bluetooth Headphones over LDAC is fine. Mediamonkey playing without M0 is fine.
I've tried the 3 different audio outputs in MediaMonkey, (Direct Sound)(WASAPI) and (waveout). Tried Foobar2000, VLC. Tried Youtube etc to rule out local file playback.
Tried changing all the variables on the M0 itself. Its on the latest firmware. v3.6. I've run out of ideas.

EDIT:
I've just tried with a different W10 laptop and the popping is a lot less noticeable, but it still does it. That laptop did not have the drivers installed.
Have been through everything on. this thread https://www.head-fi.org/threads/serious-popping-clicking-with-usb-dac.638448/page-5 still no joy
The plot thickens, the original W10 laptop I'm using is actually through bootcamp on a macbook air. When plugging the M0 in to the same machine but running mac os, it appears to be working fine. I'll use the mac for a few hours tomorrow to properly test it. Are there any known issues with the M0 in DAC mode with W10 @Shanling ?

Nov 27, 2021 at 7:07 PM Post #6,283 of 6,418
Hey guys, hello @Shanling.
Since i'm a proud owner of M0 and i didn't find this question answered anywhere, and i've contacted shanling throught e-mail and didn't receive an answer, lets see if i can get the answer here.
So, i've tried loudgain and foobar2000 replaygain tags in various audio formats. They work very well for .mp3 and .m4a, but they do not work for .WAV files. If some of you know why, i would like to know. And how to fix it, if possible.

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #6,285 of 6,418
You could consider converting your WAV files to the lossless FLAC format. ReplayGain definitely works for those.

I can imagine tags in WAV file are not supported, did not even know those existed.
Hello, first off all thank you for your response.
Unfortunatly FLAC tags seem to not work either on M0, i've used ffmpeg to convert them. Just used loudgain and foobar to test and tag the files and they are behaving exactly like wav. Plus i go to Playback settings on the M0 and change between replaygain off, audio track and album and there's no difference at all. But they do work in m4a files and i can clearly listen to the difference in the audio.
Some of those tracks have 5db corrections, which is weird cause it makes them a lot different in volume.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back