Serious popping, clicking with USB DAC
Apr 2, 2015 at 1:23 AM Post #61 of 75
not an easy one.
the 16/48 thing is what the usb dongle wants from what I see on the nad specs. if the buffer in foobar is not too small that shouldn't be the issue, but just in case did you try converting some songs beforehand so that foobar would just have to play them as is? not much hope on that one TBH but you've already done the obvious outside of trying to get another USB card. saying you can make noise with your mouse suggests a problem(most likely a grounding one :'( ) between the pc and the dongle, so the DAC would have nothing to do with it. else I would suggest trying to plug the DAC or amp on some other maybe cleaner power sources(try in another room or try to unplug a lot of stuff on the same circuit in the house just to check).

did you check with a wifi analyzer if there is a lot of traffic on the 2.4ghz in your room(again what's one the nad specs)? I'm not super convinced again. your mouse can be heard in the output, so it would suggest that the problem is with the dongle and the computer, and not so much between the dongle and the DAC.

all of those are kind of far fetched, but you already went through what would be the most logical stuff.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:09 AM Post #62 of 75
Thanks for your feedback castleofargh.

Well, i did not try to read directly falc files fitting the native 48 Khz of my DAC but after your suggestion i tried : no improvement.

You said :
 saying you can make noise with your mouse suggests a problem(most likely a grounding one :'( ) between the pc and the dongle,

Saying I make noise with the mouse is not exactly true.
I just observed (like others), that the crackles tend to appear more often when im doing stuff on my PC, like using Internet browser or switching between some windows. But i can't make a direct link between the mouse usage itself and the noises.
And grounding noise.... mmm i'm not that convinced either... for me, a grounding noise sounds more like a regular buzzing, something at least you can identify more easily.

Here, once again it feels exactly like it's been described many times, as if at some point the ressources were lacking to pass the data with full quality, and was degraded.

But you are right, the problem definitely lies between the PC and the transmitter, and I believe it is at the BUS level.

I just recieved my PCIe USB 2.0 extension card.
I will install it and keep you all posted.

This is my last stand im afraid.

Apr 2, 2015 at 9:52 AM Post #63 of 75
I had an issue with noises that believe it or not were being triggered by ethernet.  Disconnect my ethernet cable and noises went away.  Wifi did not cause issues.  I searched for any setting that I could change to fix this, but no luck.  Eventually I bought a good usb hub with a strong power supply.  The hub was purchased for reasons other than this noise problem, but as it turns out, it also cured my noise by ethernet issue.  This doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm noise free and happy now.

Apr 2, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #64 of 75

Well, i did not try to read directly falc files fitting the native 48 Khz of my DAC but after your suggestion i tried : no improvement.

You said :

I just observed (like others), that the crackles tend to appear more often when im doing stuff on my PC, like using Internet browser or switching between some windows. But i can't make a direct link between the mouse usage itself and the noises.
And grounding noise.... mmm i'm not that convinced either... for me, a grounding noise sounds more like a regular buzzing, something at least you can identify more easily.

Here, once again it feels exactly like it's been described many times, as if at some point the ressources were lacking to pass the data with full quality, and was degraded.

But you are right, the problem definitely lies between the PC and the transmitter, and I believe it is at the BUS level.

Despite solving my issue like described earlier in this thread, I actually recently bought a PCIe usb extension card because my laptop was lacking usb ports. Turns out the extension card usb ports worked just fine for audio, no clicks or pops. So fingers crossed hopefully it works for you too.

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:29 PM Post #65 of 75

You said :
 saying you can make noise with your mouse suggests a problem(most likely a grounding one :'( ) between the pc and the dongle,

yeah I meant grounding inside the computer, not the house installation. making some other card to pass on some signal to the USB, sorry for not being clear.
fingers crossed for your card.

Apr 3, 2015 at 5:34 AM Post #66 of 75

Despite solving my issue like described earlier in this thread, I actually recently bought a PCIe usb extension card because my laptop was lacking usb ports. Turns out the extension card usb ports worked just fine for audio, no clicks or pops. So fingers crossed hopefully it works for you too.

yeah I meant grounding inside the computer, not the house installation. making some other card to pass on some signal to the USB, sorry for not being clear.
fingers crossed for your card.

Thanks a lot for your support guys.

Well well well
beyersmile.png
  (<== Enthusiastic Guy on the keyboard)
PCI USB 2.0 card installed.
AND
SO FAR SO GOOD !
L3000.gif

I went though my favorite test tracks, the ones who gave me the best/worst (depends on the point of view lol) crackles in my previous tests, and... Nothing !
Not the slightest little clip, crackle or perturbation of any kind. #PartyTime #AmpVolume100% #MyNeighborsHateMeAlready
popcorn.gif

To get a bit more into details : i can indeed see that my PCI extension card has created a couple of new IRQ addresses, and since my DAC usb dongle is the only device connected on it, there is no chance to have any conflict here.

This  PCI USB 2.0 Card is probably my best 12€ investment ever !

Thanks again for your inputs, and Beaver316 thanks for making this thread (a decade ago lol)

Apr 8, 2015 at 5:28 AM Post #68 of 75
Well well well (<== Not so enthusiastic guy on the keyboard anymore
triportsad.gif
)

The dream did not last in heaven, and some old demons are coming back.

The PCI extension card did bring some good, I even thought my problems were solved forever and ever, until the end of times.
But, after a few days, the clippings/crackles came back.

Their manifestation now is a bit different than before, they tend to happen less frequently, but more intensively and longer : before I had like spikes, crackles for a couple of seconds, then normal, and then again crackles... quite randomly but it was short disturbances coming frequently.

Now, it's more regular in the intensity when the problems happen
Level 0 : all good, pure sound
Level 1 : little crackles here and then
Level 2 : more crackles, sound very degraded
Level 3 : like playing a vinyl disc with a fork through a fairground speaker. Inaudible soup. Yes, it gets that bad.

I tried to change the USB port on my PCI card, and once again, it brought a real improvement : it was like first time I plugged the DAC on it, no trace of the smallest little crackle.
So I guess that if i try again another USB port it will get better. But then what ? I have only 5 ports, what will I do when I have used all 5 ?

So i'm still digging.

[EDIT]
Since yesterday I was able to discard a few more potential root causes.
I can affirm that problem is not due to latencies since DPC checker show perfectly green bars all under 500µs event when the sounds get as bad as my level free of horror.
Deactivating Ethernet controller does nothing.
Same for raising the CPU min frequency in the power setting.
I tred also to untick the "Use MCSS" option in Foobar, changes nothing. So I guess there is nothing there and I don't need to waste time trying to tweak the MCSS in the windows registry.

Apr 14, 2015 at 7:13 PM Post #69 of 75
  Hi everyone.

Im also having this horrible clipping issue and im seriously pulling my hair out since so far, none of the solutions from this thread (and also from other sources)....
I feel pretty desperate to be honnest
confused_face(1).gif
  I spent days on this..

Here's what im using 
- Desktop quite powerful, i7 4790K, 16 GB DDR3, brand new, 4 days old, 650W cordair power supply : more than enough. I had before an older pc, on which I had exactly the same issues.
- NAD DAC 1, it's an USB DAC , numeric / analogic converter, sends wirlessly the signal from one USB transmitter to wifi reciever plugged with RCA cables on Amplifier.
- No specific driver delivered by NAD for this device, recognized as "Generic USB headset" working in 48Khz/16 bits by W7 = all good so far, these are the DAC specs. No ASIO driver as well.
- Reciever and Transmitter are about 3 meters away from each other (specs say it works up to 40meters, so still good here)
- Foobar2k, installed on system SSD (also tried from another SSD dedicated to my softwares)

I have the exact same problem as described in the first post : random clipping / parasites in the sound, variable inensity, from nothing to completely cracking and trashy sound, seems to increase as im using the mouse, or browsing internet pages, but also can appear when I do nothing.

Here is all that I've tried to solve this issue, without success
triportsad.gif

=> Use Asio4All instead of Windows direct sound
=> increase Asio buffer
=> increase all kinds of buffer i could find in foobar
=> Use WASAPI (push/event, tried both) with SOX2 resampling to fit my hardware 48Khz/16 bits spec
     NOTE : With WASAPI, crackles and skipping are very reduced compared to ASIO, less frequent, less intense.
=> Try to locate USB IRQ conflicts with other ressources: i was able to find one of the USC bus on the same IRQ code as my Graphic card.
         -    However I was not able to locate exactly where my DAC was plugged despite the details found in this topic (i may miss a tip here).
         -    Anyway, I basically tried all USB ports of my Motherboard + front panel ones plugged on other specific motherboard controllers , and there
              are alot  (4 USB2.0 and  8 USB 3.0), and it changed nothing
=> Run foobar with Avast unistalled (did not change anything)
=> Run Foobar with highest processus priority possible from windows processus list & from foobar tick box in preferences
=> Use Asio output while disabling the DAC/USB generic headset in the Windows devices manager
=> Disabling EIST, C STATE and Spread Spectrum in BIOS, as explained in a recent post
=> Read flac file from SSD instead of storage disc
=> Plug the DAC on USB hub with external power supply to clear up any power supply issue.
=> change USB cable
=> Disable AERO in W7
==> and i'm sure im forgetting other attempts i made on other settings...

As I mentioned at the beginning of this post , this pc is brand new, all fresh : new motherboard, new RAM, new CPU; Windows 7 version is different.
Onlly a few things remained the same
Same Graphic card (MSI GTX 760) as in previous PC
Same Hard drives
The NAD DAC 1 itself
The fact that i'm using internal/native motherboard USB ports.
My bad luck.... lol

My last move : I have ordered a PCIe USB 2.0 extension card, to get a new range or IRQ addresses like SodaBoy suggested, and i will plug my DAC alone on it.

I would deeply appreciate any feedback, tip, advice, divine intervention.... to shoot this once for all.

Thanks a lot :)

Yeah give that USB expansion card a try when it arrives. I think there is a very good chance that it can fix your problem, as it did for me. The problem is that all the ports, including PC front panel ports are all on the same bus on the mobo. I did the same things as you, messed with the buffers all day, and whenever I thought things had improved, the popping appeared again and it left me frustrated. Just set the buffers and latency to max and forget about it.

Sep 11, 2015 at 4:27 PM Post #70 of 75
  Hi everyone.

Im also having this horrible clipping issue and im seriously pulling my hair out since so far, none of the solutions from this thread (and also from other sources)....
I feel pretty desperate to be honnest
confused_face(1).gif
  I spent days on this..

Here's what im using 
- Desktop quite powerful, i7 4790K, 16 GB DDR3, brand new, 4 days old, 650W cordair power supply : more than enough. I had before an older pc, on which I had exactly the same issues.
- NAD DAC 1, it's an USB DAC , numeric / analogic converter, sends wirlessly the signal from one USB transmitter to wifi reciever plugged with RCA cables on Amplifier.
- No specific driver delivered by NAD for this device, recognized as "Generic USB headset" working in 48Khz/16 bits by W7 = all good so far, these are the DAC specs. No ASIO driver as well.
- Reciever and Transmitter are about 3 meters away from each other (specs say it works up to 40meters, so still good here)
- Foobar2k, installed on system SSD (also tried from another SSD dedicated to my softwares)

I have the exact same problem as described in the first post : random clipping / parasites in the sound, variable inensity, from nothing to completely cracking and trashy sound, seems to increase as im using the mouse, or browsing internet pages, but also can appear when I do nothing.

Here is all that I've tried to solve this issue, without success
triportsad.gif

=> Use Asio4All instead of Windows direct sound
=> increase Asio buffer
=> increase all kinds of buffer i could find in foobar
=> Use WASAPI (push/event, tried both) with SOX2 resampling to fit my hardware 48Khz/16 bits spec
     NOTE : With WASAPI, crackles and skipping are very reduced compared to ASIO, less frequent, less intense.
=> Try to locate USB IRQ conflicts with other ressources: i was able to find one of the USC bus on the same IRQ code as my Graphic card.
         -    However I was not able to locate exactly where my DAC was plugged despite the details found in this topic (i may miss a tip here).
         -    Anyway, I basically tried all USB ports of my Motherboard + front panel ones plugged on other specific motherboard controllers , and there
              are alot  (4 USB2.0 and  8 USB 3.0), and it changed nothing
=> Run foobar with Avast unistalled (did not change anything)
=> Run Foobar with highest processus priority possible from windows processus list & from foobar tick box in preferences
=> Use Asio output while disabling the DAC/USB generic headset in the Windows devices manager
=> Disabling EIST, C STATE and Spread Spectrum in BIOS, as explained in a recent post
=> Read flac file from SSD instead of storage disc
=> Plug the DAC on USB hub with external power supply to clear up any power supply issue.
=> change USB cable
=> Disable AERO in W7
==> and i'm sure im forgetting other attempts i made on other settings...

As I mentioned at the beginning of this post , this pc is brand new, all fresh : new motherboard, new RAM, new CPU; Windows 7 version is different.
Onlly a few things remained the same
Same Graphic card (MSI GTX 760) as in previous PC
Same Hard drives
The NAD DAC 1 itself
The fact that i'm using internal/native motherboard USB ports.
My bad luck.... lol

My last move : I have ordered a PCIe USB 2.0 extension card, to get a new range or IRQ addresses like SodaBoy suggested, and i will plug my DAC alone on it.

I would deeply appreciate any feedback, tip, advice, divine intervention.... to shoot this once for all.

Thanks a lot :)

Hi @H-25 ,

I'm not sure if you're still monitoring this thread 6 months later, but there is something about your situation that strikes me that no one else has mentioned (IIRC). You said that you have had the exact same problem on two different computers. This would lead me to believe that the problem is outside of your computer, and doesn't have anything to do with USB, Foobar, Antivirus, processor priority, etc. 

Most likely, to me, the issue is with your DAC. Can you try out another? 

Here would be a few more specific suggestions:
1. Could you get another identical DAC just like it (with new USB cables to be safe) and see if you have the same issues? Alternatively, could you take your DAC to a friend's computer at another house, and see if you have the same issues? If so, it's gotta be the DAC. If not, look elsewhere. 
2. Can you purchase an alternative DAC just for testing (even something simple like the ODAC)? 
2. The fact that your NAD DAC is wireless also causes me concern. The wirless spectrum is notoriously crowded (especially on 2.4GHz bands), so I could see all sorts of potential for interference. Would be nice to test a fully wired DAC and see if the same issues occur. 

Hopefully this is helpful!

Aurelius

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #71 of 75
Hello Aurelius,

Indeed I was not really monitoring this thread anymore but thanks to the email notification i saw you mentioned me in your post :)

Yes, i had these issues on 2 different computers, but i think the problem lies in Windows 7 itself, how the OS is allowing ressources, and both of my computers were running under W7.
Of course, the Wireless approach of the NAD DAC was really ringing a bell at first, but honnestly, these DACs are really good. And the wireless does not seem to be an issue, at all.

Now, my problem is solved and I have the proof that it's not my DAC causing the issue.
How did I solve the problem ?

I bought a NAS (Synology DS214 play) where i have put all my music.
These little NAS are smart enough to allow you plus an USB DAC and play music stored on the NAS directly to the DAC.

Since the base of Synology OS is Linux... i never had the problem again.

I hope this little trick will help others.

Anyway, thanks again for your time Aurelius, to have read my looong problem explanations, and for your resolution suggestions.

Sep 11, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #72 of 75
Well that's great! That's pretty slick that your NAS can play music straight to the DAC. Those Synology's are really nice in general, good choice!

Glad you posted your solution, I'm sure it will help others. 

Dec 2, 2016 at 5:25 PM Post #74 of 75

Overall, your system is more than capable of glitch-free playback. The HDD is on the slower side, being 5400 RPM, however it shouldn't be the culprit. On the other hand, the GPU is a low end model, and if you intend on doing a lot of audio playback/recording, I would recommend you disabling desktop composition entirely.

You should never update drivers through Windows Update, always from the hardware manufacturer instead. Unfortunately, Sony is one of the few brands that still do shameful Device ID swapping and sometimes adding hardware adapters to make it harder for replacing hardware, which in that case you should first update to the latest drivers available from Sony, then individually updating drivers from the hardware manufacturer itself.

Lowering color depth does indicate that the issue might be related to the GPU. The easiest way to check whether the GPU might be faulty (despite being low end, it should handle full Aero with little degradation) is to go to system properties, Advanced tab, Performance Settings, then selecting the best performance adjustment. Restart your computer and test whether you still suffer from those issues. This, with 32-bit color.

After swapping cables, trying this and that,calling IP, new mouse finally found this thread and tried what Roller suggested above in bold. Guess what it worked, no more distortion while music is playing and using right click on mouse. What made mine so hard to track down , I just received a new modem and higher internet speed, which made me think that had something to do with it, it did not. Also my PC is getting up in age about 9 years old. I guess my old evga 9500gt card was having trouble with the Aero,however the static,distortion when right click was made while music played was the only issue I could tell I was having. Oh well, now that I got it figured out,it is time for a new PC !

Aug 30, 2017 at 5:12 PM Post #75 of 75
Sorry for being a Thread Necromancer, but I have the same issue.

For over 2 years I was listening to music without any problems, 2 days ago random popping appeared (and I didn't change anything in my OS, no system updates, no drivers update, nothing), thanks to this post:
Quote:

Are you sure you're disabling the right device(s) which share similar IRQ to your DAC? Perhaps post a screen here so we can better analyze it?

This is mine. The device highlighted is my USB dac, I know this because when you right click it and select properties, then Advanced, it displays how much bandwidth the device is using. When no music is playing it shows 1%, when music is playing it shows 46%.

And as you can see under it there's another device ending in 293A which shares the same IRQ (23). If I disable and reboot (important) that then there aren't any other devices sharing the same IRQ as my DAC. Audio works fine then.

If you find that there are too many devices which share the same IRQ, try a different USB port. When I try a different usb port, then there's like 5 devices which share the same IRQ number as my DAC, luckily I have another port (the one im currently using) which only has one other device sharing the same number.

I realized that my first motherboard USB hub that I was using had the same IRQ as my GPU, so I changed the USB port. That worked, but only for an hour or so...

I also noticed that when I'm having this problem, my foo_uie_vis_channel_spectrum panel in foobar is acting weird. Instead of silky smooth refresh rate, I get like ~20fps.

Then I've read this post:
and I tried to switch my motherboard's USB 2.0 hub that I'm using right now to MSI mode (with no success), but at least I learned that my USB 3.0 ports are in this mode right now, so I connected my sound card to one of two USB3.0 ports that I have. For now it's working (or not, I don't know if I'm loosing my mind on this popping issue, but I think that I still hear those noises from time to time...).

I'm using foobar2000, Windows 8.1, and I'm listening through dedicated ASIO drivers. Any other ideas how to fix it? I don't want to waste my USB 3.0 port or do OS reinstall just because Windows is a piece of garbage... Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back