Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Oct 15, 2018 at 9:39 AM Post #3,541 of 6,418
I might have missed it. But when m0 is laid flat on a desk, touch screen does not respond. Is that normal?

Oct 15, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #3,542 of 6,418
Oct 15, 2018 at 9:45 AM Post #3,543 of 6,418
I am still getting the HR logo. But maybe only on higher quality files. No longer on 24bit/48kHz files which I think it showed it on before. It does not show bit/sampling rate instead of the HR logo.
I just downloaded 2.1->2.2.
I haven't tested many files but see "HR" for Grateful Dead - Red Rocks - 24 bit depth / 192000 Hz sampling rate.

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:16 AM Post #3,544 of 6,418
I'm sure there will be a lot of moaning about not having X or Y, I'm pretty happy so far (whispers - remember position per track/podcast resume next please :wink:

I guess we (not Shanling) created a lot of expectations. The potential of this little device is so great it is almost inevitable to hope for more.

This does not feel like the major upgrade I hoped for after this wait.

I much appreciate the m3u support but was hoping for ReplayGain (essential for shuffling over multiple albums) and bookmarks as well. Perhaps even an option to select font size so more text fits.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #3,546 of 6,418
LOL
so much waiting and the problem 5 is not solved
The problem exist not on all albums but only on the one that are in one file and a cue sheet (the id tags are correct)
the songs listed in alphabetical order and not by their track number

If i browse via "Folders" there is no problem
For me it is big problem as i am album listener

You will do something about that or no?

Yep I still have database errors on some of my ‘best of’ compilations and some albums with ‘no file found’ that work fine on folder view. I’ve never experienced with any other daps. Looks like I have to stick with folder view.

Oct 15, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #3,547 of 6,418
I've just upgraded.
Painless.
Not using bluetooth or playlists there's nothing there of much use to me.
I download long radio programs and listen to them at work so a fast forward/rewind so that I can whizz through the news would be great for me. Either by holding a (screen) button or in 30 second or programmable increments would do. The current slider is not much use for this as it is too coarse, particularly on longer tracks.
As I listen to podcasts in the car and music at work, if it had bookmarking it could be my constant companion and I could put all of my other daps away in a drawer or ebay.

About 150 pages ago I promised not to pester so I'm just gently reminding after the update.

Still sounds great and is my fave for music.

Oct 15, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #3,551 of 6,418
To sum it up how M0 can work:

mSD card in M0 -> Wired or Bluetooth headphones or external USB DAC
Phone over BT -> M0 -> Wired headphones
Computer over USB cable -> M0 -> Wired headphones

Two things we want to implement in future:

Phone over BT -> M0 -> external USB DAC
Computer over USB cable -> M0 -> Bluetooth headphones

What we will never do:

Phone over BT -> M0 -> Bluetooth headphones
Because this makes no sense(signal is affected by the codec used by phone, no matter what will then M0 use)

Hi Shanling,

Oh ok. I guess that makes sense since the high quality Sabre DAC found in the M0 would be completely bypassed if the headphones it connected to were connected wirelessly. Then yes, exactly.........what would be the point of even using the M0?

Thank you for clarifying that for me and everyone in this thread. I'm perfectly fine with connecting the M0 to my wired headphones. The fact is, I would still have the convenience of no cable between my phone and the M0, which is much more of a benefit to me than if the "other half" was wireless. Then I wouldn't have to carry the weight of the cable to my phone for hours on end. It's just less of a nuisance really.

Oct 15, 2018 at 12:55 PM Post #3,553 of 6,418
Firmware v2.2 here you go!

Google drive download

Shanling M0 Firmware 2.2 notes

Changes and fixes:

1. Added Triple click shortcut, available in System settings
2. Added playback controls when using M0 in Bluetooth receiver mode, including double and triple click shortcuts
3. Added support of external m3u and m3u8 playlists
4. Added “Recently added” list in “My Music”
5. Fixed bug causing wrong song order in “My Music” browsing
6. Improved USB digital output

How to update:

1. Make sure that M0 is fully charged.
2. Unzip the file and copy “update.bin” file into root folder of micro SD card.
Note: If your M0 is on firmware 1.0 or 1.5, card must be formatted to FAT32. For update from firmware 2.0 and higher, you can use all cards.
3. Choose “System Update”in system settings and follow the displayed instructions. Wait until system restarts.
4. Check in settings “About M0” to be sure new firmware was installed.

Hi Shanling (or anyone reading this),

Is there a way to update the M0 WITHOUT using a MicroSD card?? Can I just connect it to my PC and update it that way?? Please explain how if yes.

Thank you!!

Oct 15, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #3,554 of 6,418
Last weekend I had the chance to try the M0 in the setting where I plan to use it the most: On a plane – LA to Chicago in this case. I played mostly WMA Lossless files to my Sony WH-1000XN3 headphones over Bluetooth using the LDAC protocol and that worked really well. On the flight to Chicago I had some dropouts, but then I discovered that by putting the M0 on the tray table instead of stashing it behind the seat belt (near the seat belt buckle) solved the dropout problem. The M0 is so small that it’s kind of hard to keep track of – I think I need to buy a carrying case and attach a lanyard to it so that I can hang it around my neck.

I find the M0 user interface easy to use and the sound quality is – well, actually I can’t really tell. When playing lossless files through Bluetooth using LDAC (which I think is lossless or nearly lossless for 16/44 files) the signal stays in the digital domain until the analog conversion happens in the headphone, so I’m really hearing the sound quality of the headphones rather than the player. I suppose that you could argue that the digital volume control on the M0 could impact the sound if it isn’t implemented properly, but I haven’t heard any issues with the volume control. For my purposes the thing just transmits what’s on the WMA Lossless files, which is just what I’m looking for. This is a near-perfect little player IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back