Shanling M0 - Smallest Hi-Res Portable Player - New Firmware V3.6
Oct 14, 2018 at 1:05 PM Post #3,511 of 6,418
Been using my black one more and more at work. Nice not to have a brick of a player in the pocket. Been using either CA Comets or CA Music Two's with it. No problems with the interface either.
I am pretty familiar with the CA line, but have not heard any of them referred to as the CA Music Two ????

Oct 14, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #3,512 of 6,418
@tronth
Keep in mind the Hiby is about the size of the M1 so it has a larger screen. If you're trying to scroll through albums on a smaller screen, you probably wouldn't have much of the actual album name on screen. Not sure about you, but I can't recall all the album images to know what's what when I'm selecting. Maybe if they make it an option to display album art or not. I know I wouldn't want it always there if it affects being able to see the album name. I already have 40 albums that start with the same name and only differentiate on a number at the end. I will say, I do like the screen to body ratio on that Hiby compared to the M0. But like the M1, it would just be too big for my recreational needs. I wouldn't mind that footprint if they got the thickness down to 10mm or under.

Does the Hiby support LDAC? I only see Apt-X.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #3,513 of 6,418
The thing that is making me doubt is the fact that it doesn't show a miniature of the album cover when scrolling in the menu searching for music as the AP80 and My Ipod do. I know this may seem trivial but in my opinion, it makes the interface look much more appealing and makes it easier to find the group or album you are searching for because of the visual memory (at least for me). @Shanling I Don't know if this is something you have thought of or that could be implemented in future software updates, but there is my suggestion to make this device the new "Ipod experience" while delivering a good Hi-fi audio quality experience too.

On such a small screen, making album art large enough to recognize would mean very low information density. Think about scrolling through 2000 tracks when you can only see two per screen. The track listing currently is far too wasteful of screen space already, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 1:51 PM Post #3,514 of 6,418
On such a small screen, making album art large enough to recognize would mean very low information density. Think about scrolling through 2000 tracks when you can only see four per screen.

Maybe I didn't explain myself well, what I meant was to make it look like this (see link below), keep in mind the fact that the Ipod screen it's the same size as the @Shanling M0)

edit: sorry, cant seem to insert image

https://ibb.co/hYqGyp

hYqGyp
a>

hYqGyp [IMG]

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 2:00 PM Post #3,515 of 6,418
Maybe I didn't explain myself well, what I meant was to make it look like this (see link below, sorry cant insert image and keep in mind the Ipod it's the same screen size as the @Shanling M0)

https://ibb.co/hYqGyp

hYqGyp
a>

hYqGyp [IMG]

If Shanling can manage to do that, that would be pretty cool, but I foresee 2 issues here.

1. I don't know if the M0 actually has the resources to be able to do this in terms of processing power.

2. Due to the size of the screen, using album art images in the very beginning of each text field will not fix the main UI problem that already exists. There's such a small amount of space available for the text, so when you incorporate album images or icons you're reducing the available space even more so.

What I was thinking the other day is that it would be cool if we could perhaps get some sort of coverflow UI like there was on the iPod Touch. But again, with the limited screen real estate and processing power required that too would probably not be a feasible option.

Oct 14, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #3,516 of 6,418
Hi, completely new here, I've looked for a good portable DAP to substitute my old Ipod nano 6th gen for some time and now I'm in a torn between choosing the Shanling M0 and the hidizs AP80. I have some doubts that I hope you could answer more precisely.

In terms of Audio Quality, are there big differences between devices like AP 80, M0 or Hiby R3?

How is doing the M0 in terms of software? For what I've seen so far it seems fluid and I like the overall aesthetics of it.

The thing that is making me doubt is the fact that it doesn't show a miniature of the album cover when scrolling in the menu searching for music as the AP80 and My Ipod do. I know this may seem trivial but in my opinion, it makes the interface look much more appealing and makes it easier to find the group or album you are searching for because of the visual memory (at least for me). @Shanling I Don't know if this is something you have thought of or that could be implemented in future software updates, but there is my suggestion to make this device the new "Ipod experience" while delivering a good Hi-fi audio quality experience too.

Well first I have the AP80 on order, supposedly it sounds a bit better (wider stage) - more natural timber. Of course this is just from a handful of sources so I would take those with a grain of salt for now.

I can say I like the sound of the M0 better than the R3 the R3 sounds warmer and not as neutral- not that the M0 is totally neutral either it’s not.

Software is pretty good for now and shortly it should be very good with m3u playlist support and custom Eq and hopefully a better battery meter.

As for the album covers being displayed on the scrolling list I feel the screen is just too small to really do this properly - I mean until you hold this thing in your hands you really don’t get a feel for how diminutive it is.

I think all three of the players you’ve mentioned are very capable players (giving the AP80 a pass from early reports) but the M0 is the tinyest and it performs well above what you’d expect for the size. Just perfect for working out and such! Extremely portable .

Oct 14, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #3,517 of 6,418
@tronth
Keep in mind the Hiby is about the size of the M1 so it has a larger screen. If you're trying to scroll through albums on a smaller screen, you probably wouldn't have much of the actual album name on screen. Not sure about you, but I can't recall all the album images to know what's what when I'm selecting. Maybe if they make it an option to display album art or not. I know I wouldn't want it always there if it affects being able to see the album name. I already have 40 albums that start with the same name and only differentiate on a number at the end. I will say, I do like the screen to body ratio on that Hiby compared to the M0. But like the M1, it would just be too big for my recreational needs. I wouldn't mind that footprint if they got the thickness down to 10mm or under.

Does the Hiby support LDAC? I only see Apt-X.

Yes they finally got LDAC support.

Oct 14, 2018 at 2:13 PM Post #3,518 of 6,418
f Shanling can manage to do that, that would be pretty cool, but I foresee 2 issues here.

1. I don't know if the M0 actually has the resources to be able to do this in terms of processing power.

2. Due to the size of the screen, using album art images in the very beginning of each text field will not fix the main UI problem that already exists. There's such a small amount of space available for the text, so when you incorporate album images or icons you're reducing the available space even more so.

What I was thinking the other day is that it would be cool if we could perhaps get some sort of coverflow UI like there was on the iPod Touch. But again, with the limited screen real estate and processing power required that too would probably not be a feasible option.

1. I'm sure it can, to do that kind of stuff you don't need a huge horsepower, it's more related to software optimization. Again they may not have the time or human resources to do that.

2. Maybe they could play with text size and zoom, like when you reduce the zoom in the browser to see more things on the screen. Because Ipod Nano 6th gen screen was also a 1,4 inch display so at least a small miniature of the art and the name of the band should fit in if they get rid of the right size options by optimizing its functions, let's say by making them on press, and changing the actual function to the wheel, by using the wheel long press to return to home screen and long press from home screen to shut down the device.

Anyways long album titles are never gonna enter at full, all they can do is optimizing the space they have and make it feel like a premium and cool experience, distant from the cheap old mp3 with those horrible tiles to choose files.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2018 at 2:18 PM Post #3,520 of 6,418
Well first I have the AP80 on order, supposedly it sounds a bit better (wider stage) - more natural timber. Of course this is just from a handful of sources so I would take those with a grain of salt for now.

I can say I like the sound of the M0 better than the R3 the R3 sounds warmer and not as neutral- not that the M0 is totally neutral either it’s not.

Software is pretty good for now and shortly it should be very good with m3u playlist support and custom Eq and hopefully a better battery meter.

As for the album covers being displayed on the scrolling list I feel the screen is just too small to really do this properly - I mean until you hold this thing in your hands you really don’t get a feel for how diminutive it is.

I think all three of the players you’ve mentioned are very capable players (giving the AP80 a pass from early reports) but the M0 is the tinyest and it performs well above what you’d expect for the size. Just perfect for working out and such! Extremely portable .

Thanks for the feedback!

As for the album covers and screen size, M0 has the same screen size and dimensions of the old Ipod Nano 6th gen that I have, that's why I got that idea because in such a tiny space the Ipod Nano does it by optimizing the space it uses, it's just so cool to have your art while scrolling, makes it feel a much more comfortable experience.

A few replies ago I posted a picture of how it'd look given the dimensions and size of the M0 (very similar to this Ipod Nano) https://ibb.co/hYqGyp

Oct 14, 2018 at 2:25 PM Post #3,521 of 6,418
Thanks for the feedback!

As for the album covers and screen size, M0 has the same screen size and dimensions of the old Ipod Nano 6th gen that I have, that's why I got that idea because in such a tiny space the Ipod Nano does it by optimizing the space it uses, it's just so cool to have your art while scrolling, makes it feel a much more comfortable experience.

A few replies ago I posted a picture of how it'd look given the dimensions and size of the M0 (very similar to this Ipod Nano) https://ibb.co/hYqGyp

Hmm looks doable then, unless the resolution is different. I personally don’t miss the album art in scroll view, I suppose I’m just used to it now. You could always pitch it to Shanling for a future firmware.

Oct 14, 2018 at 4:48 PM Post #3,522 of 6,418
edit: sorry, cant seem to insert image

You need to copy the BBCode, not the Image Link. Paste the BBCode straight into your reply as if you had typed it.

Oct 14, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #3,523 of 6,418
Been using my black one more and more at work. Nice not to have a brick of a player in the pocket. Been using either CA Comets or CA Music Two's with it. No problems with the interface either.

I just ordered the black one too to try out vs. my LG V30. They both use the SAME DAC, so it will be an interesting comparison for sure.

Oct 14, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #3,524 of 6,418
I just ordered the black one too to try out vs. my LG V30. They both use the SAME DAC, so it will be an interesting comparison for sure.

Same DAC and built in amp, so the output power should be roughly the same. So if your v30 drives your beyers to your satisfaction the M0 should too.

Oct 14, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #3,525 of 6,418
Same DAC and built in amp, so the output power should be roughly the same. So if your v30 drives your beyers to your satisfaction the M0 should too.

Yeah exactly!! :L3000: lolol

I dunno if I will keep it, but when I get my NEXT phone, if it impresses, it's VERY likely that I will next time around.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back