Set up for Beyerdynamic DT880
Oct 2, 2011 at 2:09 PM Post #16 of 21
[size=10pt]If it didn't have issues with ASIO, I'd just recommend an Emu 0204 without reservations. For the price and if you have a very fast computer with minimal stuff running in the background, it's worth trying. The class A amp section needs a few days to warm up, but after that sound great on the 22ohm headphone jack through headphones that have impedances over 100 ohms (preferably over 220 ohms). If after a week of warming up and listening you don't like it, you can always send/take it back. Considering most of the DACs being mentioned have no ASIO at all, then I suppose it's not a step down even if you can't get that working right without leaving your computer alone when it's playing. And the thing has line inputs on it and microphone preamps. It even does a decent job for utility monitoring of analog sources. Then if you need a lot more volume than it can put out (the headphone out doubles as a 2V line out, so it's not as weak as some would tell you), you can add an E9 or a Little Dot to that. The E7 DAC, though, lacks resolution and refinement. The E6 is even lower drive on a little battery and supposedly brighter, and you don't need to be considering near-zero-ohm jacks at all with a 250 ohm (perfect for the Emu) or 600 ohm headphone. So I guess I am recommending the Emu for you. Yeah. The other headphone to consider is the DT990 Pro if you want more bass and extreme high frequencies, and thus more recessed midrange than the DT880.[/size]

Jan 2, 2012 at 8:30 AM Post #18 of 21
It is enough if you do not need a lot of power. From the specifications it looks like you would get at most about 20 mW, but that is enough if you do not listen to music with a wide dynamic range (e.g. classical), or use bass boost EQ which increases the power requirement (although in that case you could just get a 770 or 990 instead). The E9 is better, it can output 80 mW even to 600 Ohm.
The 32 Ohm version is of slightly worse quality, the high impedance versions improve treble extension and detail, transient response, and distortion. But these are not large differences.

Edit: according to the test here, the E6 is actually limited to only about 15 mW maximum power into 250 Ohms, so FiiO's power specs for this device are somewhat optimistic.

Feb 9, 2012 at 3:50 AM Post #20 of 21
My phone can power the Dt880 Pro (250ohm) to loud enough level at near max volume. I look forward to trying them with a good amp. They kill my Grado SR80i already. I can't listen to the Grado anymore, it sounds like a toy in comparison.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back