Serious Bass-driven headphones for portable use.
Jul 1, 2012 at 1:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

NoBetterWords

New Head-Fier
Good afternoon,

My first post, so treat me gently please ... had enough derision for some of the choices I've made!  :wink:

Okay, here's the score.

I'm looking for a set of closed-back headphones to listen to FLAC and MP3 files on my Samsung Galaxy Note (I'm correct in saying that external headphone amps and DAC's aren't available for Android devices, right?).

I'm currently using Klipsch S4a IEM's, and they're not bad, but I'm looking for full-size headphones.

Now, I had considered AKG's K550 headphones, based on glowing reviews in What Hifi and I like the pro-quality and the looks, but when I got a chance to listen to them in a Richer Sounds store ... WHERE'S THE BASS?!!!  Even playing a FLAC of a Deadmau5 track with the Music player's (Poweramp) EQ tweaked, there was no bass.

The pair I've heard that do 'tick boxes' for bass and build-quality are Monster's Dr Dre Pro's, but I'd like an idea of alternatives, as users of Dr Dre's have a rather 'tainted' image in Britain.  But if it's the only option available, then I'll swallow my pride and walk about with my jeans at my knees and look like a bald, white, 46-year old gangsta rapper, all the same!

So, looking for bass-kicking full-size, rugged headphones to listen to stuff like Hard Trance, Psychedelic Trance, Industrial Metal, etc.

Tips and suggestions?  

Max budget would be around 300 GBP (approx.$500).

Mucho gracias,

M.

Jul 1, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 11
http://www.head-fi.org/t/553735/audio-technica-ath-pro700mk2-review-take-two-subwoofers-straight-to-the-head

Also, while I'm not so sure about dacs, amps can be used by just outputting the regular output on your phone to the amp (usually 3.5 to 3.5mm cable for portable amps) then plugging the headphones into the amp.
Considering the pro700mk2 is a lot lower than your budget, maybe look at amps with bass boost such as the zo2, e17, e11, etc.

Jul 1, 2012 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 11
Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506, or anything from Beyerdynamic or Sennheiser. Also, anything from the Sony XB line, although preferably, the MDR-XB500s. Also, I own a pair of Bass Freqs, they have VERY impressive bass for $20. Mids and highs are decent once you break them in though.

Jul 1, 2012 at 7:31 PM Post #5 of 11
I'd try the V-moda m-80 if on-ear is ok with you. Nice bass presence and kick, and I don't have any problem running it out of my own android device(EVO 3D). Only one problem is isolation is not the best, and I have to usually crank volume 1-2 ticks from max to be at a comfortable listening level outdoors. 

Jul 2, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #7 of 11
Future Sonic MG7.... IEM with bass and clarity I love.  Can get it for $122.00

This one comes with a mic I think.
http://www.amazon.com/Atrio-Future-Sonics-Mobile-Black/dp/B0077PDDKU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1341212589&sr=8-5&keywords=future+sonic+mg7

This one doesn't.
http://www.amazon.com/Atrio-Future-Sonic-010-045-technology/dp/B000UKMZ94/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1341212589&sr=8-1&keywords=future+sonic+mg7

Jul 2, 2012 at 4:58 AM Post #9 of 11
welcome to headfi!!! should probably look at something from ultrasone i guess, they have quite a bit of hype over here in headfi, i personally have never tried ultrasone before though. if you are getting a 300 bucks headphone you may want to get an amp for your headphone for better performance, good luck picking

Jul 2, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #11 of 11
If you can wait for V-Moda M100 being released quite soon, I'd believe this will be the very best option out there in your budget. It appears to have if the final samples sticks with similar config as current ones, about 8~9dB bass boost which is similar to M-Audio Q40 and Ultrasone PRO900 as a comparision but I have a feeling M100 will sound slightly better than both.

Q40 has EXCELLENT bass response quality in its price class, it could compare to 200~$300 bass response quality, the mids and highs aren't equally impressive but not bad at all, I personally find them very good after a few tweaks but it still has about average soundstage size though.

Ultrasone PRO900 is more V-shape sound with very emphasized highs and recessed mids, Q40 is more evenly balanced in the mids and highs having more forward mids and not any emphasized highs, both are good but Ultrasone PRO900 is more engineered towards electronica while I find Q40 better allrounder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back