Sennheiser RS220 Availability?
Oct 31, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #406 of 500
I think I am a little bit closer to understanding these mysterious random drop-out issues.
My RS-220 stopped having audio signal interruptions after the only ancient ASUS WL-500g WiFi Access point was replaced with a newer Devolo dLAN 200 AV Wireless N.

The improvement is quite remarkable and I can now listen to music around the house for the very first time without a glitch.

So the conclusion is that certain misbehaving wireless access points will interfere with the RS-220 transmission path causing the infamous signal drop-outs. The house is currently covered by four Devolo N points and it has no effect on the audio signal quality.

Unfortunately if you are living in a block of apartments your options are very limited. But if you have control over the WiFi WAPs it is worth experimenting a bit. I have mine quad WAPs set to auto channel learning and they for some reason all vacated area around the central channel 6. I should also mention that the same spectrum is being occupied by 15 wireless alarm sensors so it is pretty packed.

Nov 6, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #407 of 500
HI, I'm sure there are newer threads for the Sennheiser RS220 now, but I've posted here before, so:

I went to a shop in Portland, Oregon called 32 Ohm Audio and demoed a number of high-end wired headphones.

This will undoubtedly get me burned at the stake, but I didn't hear enough of a compelling difference to make me want to upgrade from the RS220!

I did like the sound (flavor? timbre? specific quality?) of the higher-end one of the midrange Beyerdynamic (sorry, they had two models and I can't remember which for sure, but maybe DT 990) and would like to try their T1.

I did listen to Sennheiser HD800, Audez'e LCD-2 and LCD-3, Grado and Hi-Fi Man headphones.

I was hoping for more detail; to hear things I have been missing in songs I am familiar with.

I just didn't get much more of this with any of the other headphones.

Again, I have been really enjoying my RS220s in this aspect.

I think I liked the coloration of the Beyerdynamic, but the sound quality wasn't there in the models I listened to.

I also was really really really hoping they would have models from Stax, but no such luck.

I did use two different dacs and amps and an Apple music player that the extremely nice and helpful young lady at the shop was gracious enough to lend me (it was her personal player.)

I think (appologies - it's been awhile and my memory's a bit fuzzy now) that one was a The Continental V2, and another was a DAC product that they build that was in beta.

I also used different cables. They build cables - it seems to be one of their specialities.

It may well be that I would have been more impressed with different equipment, but again, I didn't see a huge difference in sound detail or clarity or definition (again, I don't have the technical nomenclature - I'm definitely a dumb noob at this.) Nothing jumped out at me that yelled "Wow! This is it!" I didn't get any great feeling of different spatial orientation, and my spirit didn't soar into the heavens or anything.

So, maybe my ears are bad, although I've always had remarkably good hearing, and maybe I just don't know enough to tell great from so-so, and maybe I didn't have the right source, conversion and amplification equipment.

But, I didn't hear a great quantatative difference in absolute sound quality.

Each combination had a very distinct difference in sound flavor or coloration or timbre. Some had obvious differences in bass vs. midrange. vs. treble, I thought the HD800 sounded quite sterile and sort of machinelike and inorganic (I assume this is 'neutral.")

I can hear enormous differences in how I run my RS220s, either directly from the optical out on my MacBook Pro (2011 with Retina Display,) to the RS220, via AirPlay through my Pioneer VSX-1121K reciever, thence through either optical or coax (again, big differences) to the RS220, and via AirPlay or ethernet to an AppleTV 2 and optical to the RS220.

As an aside, I'm still generally happy with transmission. I live in a fairly rural area with very limited wifi traffic.

I am definitely still very unhappy with comfort. The earcups tend to hit my earlobes, and the velour is sort of too firm and scratchy. It's hard to get just the right adjustment on the headband, and there is only one small region of placement on my head that feels okay.

But, remembering the fact that these are WIRELESS headphones and I HATE WIRES(!) I'm still finding myself staying up until late in the night really enjoying listening to music on these headphones.

It's great to hear subtle details I have missed before, and to hear the sheer beauty of the detail of the musical instruments. I find myself listening to many more types of music now, and enjoying all kinds of new music. Still digging mostly on 60's through 80's rock, though.

Cheers,

Hal B.

Nov 28, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #410 of 500
I've been enjoying my RS 220, but I'm only using them because I'm waiting on my Stax setup to arrive and I don't have a desktop amp for my only other over-ears, the Edition 8.  I would probably use my RS 220 more if the signal would transmit all around my apartment, but apparently the cement walls in my apartment are too thick and I basically have to be within a line of sight of the transmitter.

I'm not sure if the signal strength is something that can be improved upon for Sennheiser's next wireless headphone, but I do have one suggestion:  There should be a way to turn on the transmitter using the headphones.  The fact that the transmitter turns off by itself after being idle is fairly annoying, since I would guess that most people put the transmitter far away from the headphones, even in another room.  Is there some reason why the headphones can't also act as a remote control to activate the transmitter?

Finally, my RS 220s make a light, high-pitched microphonic noise that can be heard when music isn't playing.  I can't figure out what is causing this.

May 4, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #411 of 500
I've had the RS 180s since July 2011 and enjoyed them--they were a good upgrade from my old Sony IR wireless headphones.

I read about the drop outs on the 220s and avoided them for a while--but I finally took the plunge.  I mostly wear wireless headphones when I am working at my desk, because the cable from a wired pair would always get fouled up in the chair and the headphones end up hitting the floor at high speed.  The sound quality of the 180s with classical music leaves a lot to be desired, especially when I know what it can sound like (I also have a pair of HD 800s).

So, back to the RS 220s.  The reality of the drop outs is pretty bad!  Sound quality, when they work, is fantastic.  Sound quality when they don't really sucks.

After a few hours of listening, I realized I was probably experiencing micro drops in the RS 180s as well--I had previously chalked it up to a "bad rip" or glitchy source, since it wasn't bad enough to really think about much.

Still, the RS 220s couldn't make it more than 45 seconds in my testing without a drop out.

Then I read almost this entire thread.  Back on page 11, one fellow mentioned he put his wireless network on channel 11.  I did the same--and I've been listening for 30+ minutes now and no drops!!!

I live in a dense part of Boston (though a single family house) and can see 20+ wifi networks around me.  I also have two wireless networks and 5 access points, Z-wave all over the place, etc.

Channel 11 seemed to solve it for me.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

May 9, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #412 of 500
I really liked the RS 220 when I got them in Feb 2012. I had very few issues with dropouts except when I wore them while using my laptop. However, for the last few months I have been getting less and less charge time from them. Now, they will not hold a charge at all. As the battery wore down, they have had more and more dropouts too. I'm going to try to get a replacement battery, but I would no longer recommend these headphones to anyone. Too problematic.

May 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #413 of 500
Hello, I am new here but have read all 28 pages about the RS 220. I was looking forward to the RS 220 but since reading all the posts I have second thoughts.

It is now May of 2013 and has there been a fix or update on the RS 220 from Sennheiser at all?

I am very much afraid of buying the RS 220 after reading all the posts.

So I am thinking of going with the RS 170 or RS 180 instead of the RS 220. I have never had open air headphones before, only closed. And I have found no place that lets anyone actually listen first to any of the Sennheiser wireless.  Though I understand the SQ is much better with open than closed.

My current headphones are Sony MDR-V6 that I have been using for many years, maybe 20 years, and they still sound great, but I want to go wireless.

I listen to most all kinds of music, rock, electronic, jazz, classical, opera and some new age. I also like to listen quite loud as well. That is the reason I need headphones for late at night, so not to bother neighbors. So I am wondering if anyone has some ideas between the RS 170 and RS 180. And if anyone has compared either of these to the Sonly MDR-V6 at all?

I would not be using these for TV at all, only music from CD's, LP's, and my Squeezebox music server.

By the way, has this RS 220 thread been moved? Or what happened to all the guys that have posted here that had the RS 220? Would be great to know if they still have the RS 220 and if the drop out problems have been fixed.

Is there a RS 170 or RS 180 owners tread at all? I can't really find much in the way of wireless.

Thank you,
Rick

May 9, 2013 at 2:38 PM Post #414 of 500
I would no longer recommend these headphones to anyone. Too problematic.

The problems with the RS220 have been well documented in this thread, but I'm curious what you think is specifically problematic about them. Based on your post, you seemed to be happy with them, except for the fact the batteries are now wearing out. Rechargeable batteries do wear out over time, and Sennheiser is to be credited with making them easily replaceable. All you have to do is take out the old pair, and put in the new pair. (Contrast that with any number of products with permanent rechargeable batteries, where the whole product has to be replaced when the battery ceases to function.) I'm not sure how this makes the headphones so problematic that you wouldn't recommend them. Can you provide more details about what is wrong with the product?

I suppose it's a moot point for me personally. Given all the dropout issues, evidently no efforts from Sennheiser to correct the problem, combined with the fact the price hasn't come down at all in well over a year, I long ago passed on the RS220 as a purchase.

May 9, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #415 of 500
Or what happened to all the guys that have posted here that had the RS 220? Would be great to know if they still have the RS 220 and if the drop out problems have been fixed.

See my post right above yours. No fixes that I'm aware of.

The problems with the RS220 have been well documented in this thread, but I'm curious what you think is specifically problematic about them...

1. My batteries started to wear out in less than a year. That is too short a time. As they wore down, performance suffered (i.e. more and longer dropouts). I filled in a warranty claim with Sennheiser and am now waiting to hear back from them. (Also, I do not see replacement batteries for sale on their website. I'm sure you can get them elsewhere, but it seems strange given the short life span.)

[Edit: I replaced my batteries with Eneloop XX 950mAh AAAs and it is now working as well (maybe better) than when it was new. In retrospect, I think that this was not an entirely fair criticism of the RS 220 on my part. However, Sennheiser could do a better job setting expectations on battery life. Going forward, I'll be replacing my batteries as soon as I notice more dropouts or less charge time. If the Enlopes behave like the stock batteries, I expect this to be in around eight to ten months.]

2. Lots of reports of problems with dropouts yet no solutions offered from Sennheiser. This was not a major issue for me until my batteries were about 10 months old. However, others have had significant problems and it seems rather unpredictable.

3. Marketing claim from Sennheiser that wifi does not interfere with these headphones is false. I can't use mine while using my Macbook Air and I get fewer dropouts when I turn off my iPad or move my phone to anther room.

4. Charging stand is a bit awkward to use. If you don't place the headphones on it just right, they don't charge. Yes, there is a light that tells you when it is on right, but it is still a pain.

5. Not the most comfortable headphone.

6. They take much too long to charge. My laptop, phone, iPad all charge MUCH faster. Even my portable headphone amp charges in a fraction of the time.

For all of those reasons, I would not recommend them. However, when they worked, I did use mine frequently despite the above issues.

[Edit: My RS 220s are working again and I'm using them on nearly a daily basis. My criticisms are unchanged, but with some luck, these can be very good wireless headphones. All wireless headphones have issues and these are the best sounding I've used by a wide margin.]

May 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #417 of 500
I love the Sennheiser sound too! I have a pair of HD-600s that must be close to 15 years old and have many thousands of hours on them.  Hopefully there will be a Sennheiser wireless model that betters the RS 220 in the future.

May 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #418 of 500
Does anyone know what it means when the battery charger blinks red (5 second intervals) instead of just staying constantly red like it should be when charging the headphones? I bought my RS 220 used but I use to own a pair in the past so I know how they should be working. Not only do the default green AAA's do this but even newly purchased Eneloop AAA ones which were already fully charged before going in. I was thinking that the batteries are not charging properly but they seem to be charging ok from initial observations. The longest I've charged the batteries straight is 10 hours so far. Again, the original batteries and the new batteries have already undergone a full charge cycle previously so this shouldn't be a "new battery" problem. The blinking red light has never just gone away either unless I'm actually using the headphones. I don't even see anything about this in the manual it should just stay solid red when charging. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back